444 won't start, makes loud screeching sound

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
turboff Canada

444 won't start, makes loud screeching sound

Post by turboff »

So I went to run my 444 yesterday. Freshly changed oil, cleaned and assembled TCV, new hour meter etc.

Went to turn the key and it was screeching. Stopped and tried again and it fired right up. Ran it for about 10 minutes...it died. Starting smoking a wee bit from just behind the air filter it looked like (which is clean tbw).

Went to go start it and now it just screeches loudly. Pulley on the starter spins, but the pulley on the front of the motor is not. Tractor doesn't seem to turn over....where do I start here?

going to try to attach a video
Eugen Canada

Re: 444 won't start, makes loud screeching sound

Post by Eugen »

Hard to believe it's not related to the work you just did. What exactly did you do to the TCV?

To upload a video you use youtube or vimeo and then post the link here. But probably safer to not keep on starting it. Maybe the hydraulics are plugged somehow, that'll kill the engine immediately as the pump can't push any oil through the circuit.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

Eugen wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:48 pm Hard to believe it's not related to the work you just did. What exactly did you do to the TCV?

To upload a video you use youtube or vimeo and then post the link here. But probably safer to not keep on starting it. Maybe the hydraulics are plugged somehow, that'll kill the engine immediately as the pump can't push any oil through the circuit.
Hmm. Took the TCV off and just cleaned it up. Took it apart and put it back together so that the float position would work again. I've put 3 trouble free hours on the machine since then.

Here's a link to the video.
https://youtube.com/shorts/mz26v3yd3-E?feature=share
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

turboff wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 pm So I went to run my 444 yesterday. Freshly changed oil, cleaned and assembled TCV, new hour meter etc.

Went to turn the key and it was screeching. Stopped and tried again and it fired right up. Ran it for about 10 minutes...it died. Starting smoking a wee bit from just behind the air filter it looked like (which is clean tbw).

Went to go start it and now it just screeches loudly. Pulley on the starter spins, but the pulley on the front of the motor is not. Tractor doesn't seem to turn over....where do I start here?

going to try to attach a video

Make sure the belt for the starter generator is tight and everything is in neutral position . If belt is loose is , check why. Belt condition , starter generator bracket mounting bracket cracked or broke tab ect.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Can you turn the engine by hand? If not, why is it stuck? Possible two reasons, hydraulic circuit stuck, or engine itself seized.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:22 pm Can you turn the engine by hand? If not, why is it stuck? Possible two reasons, hydraulic circuit stuck, or engine itself seized.
Or the PTO clutch bearings locked up .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder