Page 1 of 1

Big Wheel vs Small Wheel pros & cons

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:04 am
by RoamingGnome
Looking for opinions from people who have multiple Case GT's... 200 series vs 400 series :446cart:

I currently have a 446 but keep thinking I might like a second tractor (I'm not even sure why - don't tell :wife: )

The end use is on a wooded property with a very long. steep, hilly gravel driveway. Intended uses I have in mind are - Snowblowing duties in winter time, minor grading of washouts on the driveway, keeping the weeds under control in the centre and edges of the drive, making walking trails through the forest and making a couple of garden plots... I have pretty much all the attachments I need for these tasks, sleeve hitch, rear PTO, tiller, cultivator, plow, box blade, front blade, snow blower and mower deck - the missing bits of the puzzle I'd like would be a winter cab and log splitter...

Just wondered if it made more sense to keep my eyes open for a good deal on another 444/446/448 or if there were some advantages to the 200 series that I don't know about... What's your favourite GT in your fleet? Kohler vs Onan?

Gerry
:cheers:

Re: Big Wheel vs Small Wheel pros & cons

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:24 am
by DavidBarkey
Size matters with traction . big wheel wins there . But the fenders are taller and give less room to get on and off than small wheel tractors .
More ground clearance with the big wheel , but small wheel has lower centre of gravity and is a little more stable on slopes .
None of them have breaks you can count on to stop you going down hill . I am told the holding valve really helps here , but can not confirm it myself .
Kohlers are a great engine , but my preference is the larger 20+ hp Onans I have in my 2 big wheels for the grunt they have .
Personally I find factory cabs to confining for me , but some people love them ,

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:55 am
by Harry
Gerry, David gave you some great insight to 200 vs 400. I have two 400’s and two 600’s. My 226 is a work in progress so I have yet to use it for evaluation. I love my cab on the 446 for snow blowing but not for summer use. I don’t have a favorite GT, I like them all for their specific use. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:52 pm
by Timj
I don't have much to add to what's been mentioned as I don't have a small wheel tractor. I do like the smooth HP and torque of the Onans.

I can offer input on the holding valve as my 448 does not have one and the 4118 has the integrated holding valve. It works so well that there's never a thought about coming down a hill even with a heavy trailer. The speed you are at is where you stay at. The 448s retard works, but you have to always be thinking about it and have your hand on the travel lever. It became standard in 1985 on the 400's and around 86 on the 200s once they used up the stock of. TCV's.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you stay with 3 digit tractors most all attachments are interchangeable. If you go to a 4 digit, mowers and blowers and vac's won't interchange with a 3 digit.
Having multiple tractors can be more work but is more handy.
:geek: Tim

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:32 pm
by RoamingGnome
Thanks for the feedback... :cheers: - Sounds like I have the perfect justification for finding a 224 or 226
It will be just the right size (and less intimidating) for :wife: to help out with grass cutting or pulling a small trailer...
The 446 does have the holding valve, and I didn't have any problems going down our steep hill into the backyard in the city :107:

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm
by Eugen
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Here's my experience so far, having had a number of 200 and then 400 and 600 series. I started with a 220, then got a 226, then a 224. The 220 and 226 were sold (I still cry after the 226 :(( ). The Kohler in the 224 I've rebuilt. When I only had the 220 and 226, of course I envied the bigger wheel 400s. But I have tilled the garden, mowed the lawn, and cleaned snow with the 220 and 226. After selling the 220 and 226 I've used mostly the 446 and then 644 and 444 for everything. I've often complained about the 446 exhaust smell, which seems quite a bit more than the Kohlers I have. And this is an Onan with great compression. If I were to keep it, I would redirect the exhaust pipe so it's behind me, but the decision to sell it has been made already. In terms of traction, with AG tires and wheel weights, it does seem like the bigger wheel helps. However, I never had any wheel weights on the 200 series, so it's not really a proper comparison. The combine weights only fit the bigger 16" wheels.

All this to say that I plan put my 224 on mower duty because to me it fits there better than the 444. I like having both, and personally I prefer the Kohler 14HP engines, easy to rebuild, and plenty of power for me. Would I like more power? Yeah, sure. But the 14HP Kohler does not bother me so much that I want to put the effort into getting something else.

As others have said above, it's really great to be able to have one set of attachments and use any of the tractors with them.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm
by Harry
Timj wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:52 pm I don't have much to add to what's been mentioned as I don't have a small wheel tractor. I do like the smooth HP and torque of the Onans.

I can offer input on the holding valve as my 448 does not have one and the 4118 has the integrated holding valve. It works so well that there's never a thought about coming down a hill even with a heavy trailer. The speed you are at is where you stay at. The 448s retard works, but you have to always be thinking about it and have your hand on the travel lever. It became standard in 1985 on the 400's and around 86 on the 200s once they used up the stock of. TCV's.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you stay with 3 digit tractors most all attachments are interchangeable. If you go to a 4 digit, mowers and blowers and vac's won't interchange with a 3 digit.
Having multiple tractors can be more work but is more handy.
:geek: Tim
Thanks for the history on the TCV’s Tim. I had no idea, but I’m learning from all of the knowledgeable Case :geek:. Thanks to you all. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:21 pm
by RoamingGnome
Thanks @Eugen
Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm Sounds like you've made up your mind. ~ I've often complained about the 446 exhaust smell, which seems quite a bit more than the Kohlers I have.
Yes :wife: complains about the exhaust "stink" from the Onan - I haven't been around a running Kohler to compare, but I'm confident out in the countryside the smell won't be as bad... certainly not as bad as coming home after being sprayed with old burnt gear oil... :rofl:

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:43 pm
by Jancoe
I've had several big wheel tractors. Mainly 4000 series and just a few 400 ones. Never any 200 or 3000 series. I also have 2 6000 series. I would really like to add a 3000 series and put it on mower duty. They seem to have more ground speed and for me mowing a little bit faster would be great. Low range full speed or high range with travel lever cracked forward. There is no in-between that I can have and do believe it would be solved with a small wheel tractor.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm
by Eugen
RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:21 pm Thanks @Eugen
Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm Sounds like you've made up your mind. ~ I've often complained about the 446 exhaust smell, which seems quite a bit more than the Kohlers I have.
Yes :wife: complains about the exhaust "stink" from the Onan - I haven't been around a running Kohler to compare, but I'm confident out in the countryside the smell won't be as bad... certainly not as bad as coming home after being sprayed with old burnt gear oil... :rofl:
We have here many Onan fans and they obviously don't complain like me. Maybe it's just my tractor.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm
by Timj
Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm
We have here many Onan fans and they obviously don't complain like me. Maybe it's just my tractor.
I notice the exhaust smell more on the 448 than the 4118. I think the engine orientation is the main reason for this, both exhaust out the front. But I also think the P series runs leaner/cleaner than the B48, even with double the hours.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:30 pm
by propane1
Hehe, my 2 cents worth opinion, and ramble, the big wheel, I call them high crop tractors, just look cool. ! That is why I wanted one ! As far as use is concerned. They both will do any job you want to do, high crop tractors or standard tractors.
The high crop tractor would maybe be better in the woods, because of its 11” ground clearance, where the standard tractor only has 7” of ground clearance. The newer subcompact 4x4 tractors only have 7” or less ground clearance. But are 4x4.
So can Case garden tractors, either high crop or standard tractor do the jobs. Sure they can. And a Case 446 high crop tractor, can out run a Farmall cub on the road. Sure it can. Hehe.
Same with the standard Case garden tractors.

Noel :D

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:41 pm
by MattA
The big wheel 4000 tractors certainly ride a little softer than the little 3000 series tractors.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:57 pm
by JSinMO
Timj wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm
I notice the exhaust smell more on the 448 than the 4118. I think the engine orientation is the main reason for this, both exhaust out the front. But I also think the P series runs leaner/cleaner than the B48, even with double the hours.
Exhaust stink from an Onan?! You guys must be thinking of this incorrectly. My :wife: recognizes that smell as hard work and success! :44: :65: :rofl:

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:24 am
by DavidBarkey
When you spent your working life wrenching engines , you don't notice it the same as others . The smell is from burning off crankcase fumes . The K series vent to atmosphere . Try venting the crank case a remote breather instead of the air filter . It is something I want to do with mine , just haven't got around to it . The other thing is the stock exhaust set up on the Onans are prone to leaking and the exhaust pipe does not exit far enough from the front of the tractor so the fan blow's it back on you .

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:04 am
by RoamingGnome
@DavidBarkey :clap: So true...
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:24 am When you spent your working life wrenching engines , you don't notice it the same as others...
Fun memory from when I started wrenching for a living - stopping for a :coffee: after work and the cute waitress asking if I was a mechanic as she handed me my coffee and donut... I answered yes, and asked what gave her that idea - she said I "smelled like a mechanic" and her Dad was a mechanic and she loved the smell...
The Onan exhaust smell doesn't bother me - sensitivity to mechanical odours is just one of :wife: quirks... :violin: I used to explain it was the smell of being able to pay the bills... :rofl:

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am
by Harry
My :wife: mentions about the gas smell if I’ve been out using any GT. She also mentions the smell if I’ve been welding and cutting metal in the shop. She also mentions about the smell when I’ve been hoisting a few libations with my friends. I guess I’m just a smelly guy. :giggle: :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:07 pm
by DavidBarkey
Harry wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am My :wife: mentions about the gas smell if I’ve been out using any GT. She also mentions the smell if I’ve been welding and cutting metal in the shop. She also mentions about the smell when I’ve been hoisting a few libations with my friends. I guess I’m just a smelly guy. :giggle: :peace: Harry
Harry , you just need a hearing aid . So you can turn it off when the :wife: is :bla: :rofl:

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:29 am
by Harry
Eugen, I do have hearing aids and don’t wear them much. Especially when :wife: is around. :78: I find sometimes they are a PITA. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:56 am
by FUTZ
If your property has a hill, a hill valve is a must. I started off with a 448 with a hill brake and had a rude awakening when I got a 442 without one.

As for 200 vs 400; the 200 is actually a tougher tractor, the rear frame is stronger, and the hydraulic motor can take more pressure (if you wanted to turn up the relief).

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 am
by RoamingGnome
FUTZ wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:56 am If your property has a hill, a hill valve is a must. I started off with a 448 with a hill brake and had a rude awakening when I got a 442 without one.

As for 200 vs 400; the 200 is actually a tougher tractor, the rear frame is stronger, and the hydraulic motor can take more pressure (if you wanted to turn up the relief).
After reading about the holding valves on the forums I checked under the 446 and was happy to see it had one already. Our property is basically one big forested hillside with a clearing at the top where we are going to build the house/garage. I'm keeping my eyes open for a 2nd tractor now - a newer 200 series - probably use it mostly for cutting grass around the homestead and the little clearing where our driveway comes off the main road...

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:29 pm
by RoamingGnome
Went for a drive today... Looks like "Max" aka the 446 is getting a little sister... Think we'll call her "Maxine" :)) '88, Ingersoll 222, Going to bring her home next week...
Despite saying she will try mowing the lawn now :wife: insists that a garden tractor is not a suitable birthday present for her...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
signal-2023-05-13-10-53-28-451.jpg
signal-2023-05-13-10-53-28-451-1.jpg
signal-2023-05-13-10-53-28-451-2.jpg
signal-2023-05-13-10-53-28-451-3.jpg

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:32 pm
by Eugen
Perfect mower right there! Good looking Maxinne! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:40 pm
by JSinMO
Congratulations! Looks like a good one. And the fleet grows…. :D

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:01 am
by propane1
Nice looking tractor. That will do the job. Looks like a nice day there.

Noel

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:18 am
by DavidBarkey
Shine it her up . A little lip stick and mascara and maybe these
image.png
and your :wife: will come around .

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:54 am
by RoamingGnome
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:18 am Shine it her up . A little lip stick and mascara and maybe these image.pngand your :wife: will come around .
@DavidBarkey just an FYI... Kelly takes exception to your characterization of her as someone who would even consider driving a "Phoofy" girly-girl pink jeep... :rofl:

In our Samurai years she had a couple of her own "Suzi's"
KellyZuk09.JPG
- according to her I didn't share the steering wheel enough, :violin:
KelOsh.jpg
- fun times though, I always had someone to go 'wheeling' with :rofl:

Now we can go "Garden Tractor" racing together...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:19 am
by Eugen
Nice pictures Gerry!

But your talk about the 222 reminded me there's a 224 here with a rebuilt engine that needs to get out of hibernation.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:35 am
by Timj
Congratulations :clap: nice addition to the family :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 pm
by Eugen
Gerry, you inspired me to fire up my little 224 and take it for a ride. It will be assigned to mower duty.
008EB592-0FC6-41B1-966D-52B6F9FC211F.jpeg

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:30 am
by Chad
Great photos Gerry. Congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk