Big Wheel vs Small Wheel pros & cons

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Timj United States of America

Re: Big Wheel vs Small Wheel pros & cons

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:11 pm
RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:21 pm Thanks @Eugen
Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm Sounds like you've made up your mind. ~ I've often complained about the 446 exhaust smell, which seems quite a bit more than the Kohlers I have.
Yes :wife: complains about the exhaust "stink" from the Onan - I haven't been around a running Kohler to compare, but I'm confident out in the countryside the smell won't be as bad... certainly not as bad as coming home after being sprayed with old burnt gear oil... :rofl:
We have here many Onan fans and they obviously don't complain like me. Maybe it's just my tractor.
I notice the exhaust smell more on the 448 than the 4118. I think the engine orientation is the main reason for this, both exhaust out the front. But I also think the P series runs leaner/cleaner than the B48, even with double the hours.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Hehe, my 2 cents worth opinion, and ramble, the big wheel, I call them high crop tractors, just look cool. ! That is why I wanted one ! As far as use is concerned. They both will do any job you want to do, high crop tractors or standard tractors.
The high crop tractor would maybe be better in the woods, because of its 11” ground clearance, where the standard tractor only has 7” of ground clearance. The newer subcompact 4x4 tractors only have 7” or less ground clearance. But are 4x4.
So can Case garden tractors, either high crop or standard tractor do the jobs. Sure they can. And a Case 446 high crop tractor, can out run a Farmall cub on the road. Sure it can. Hehe.
Same with the standard Case garden tractors.

Noel :D
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

The big wheel 4000 tractors certainly ride a little softer than the little 3000 series tractors.
Ingersoll 4016
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Timj wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:39 pm
Yes :wife: complains about the exhaust "stink" from the Onan - I haven't been around a running Kohler to compare, but I'm confident out in the countryside the smell won't be as bad... certainly not as bad as coming home after being sprayed with old burnt gear oil... :rofl:
We have here many Onan fans and they obviously don't complain like me. Maybe it's just my tractor.
I notice the exhaust smell more on the 448 than the 4118. I think the engine orientation is the main reason for this, both exhaust out the front. But I also think the P series runs leaner/cleaner than the B48, even with double the hours.
Exhaust stink from an Onan?! You guys must be thinking of this incorrectly. My :wife: recognizes that smell as hard work and success! :44: :65: :rofl:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm Sounds like you've made up your mind. ~ I've often complained about the 446 exhaust smell, which seems quite a bit more than the Kohlers I have.
When you spent your working life wrenching engines , you don't notice it the same as others . The smell is from burning off crankcase fumes . The K series vent to atmosphere . Try venting the crank case a remote breather instead of the air filter . It is something I want to do with mine , just haven't got around to it . The other thing is the stock exhaust set up on the Onans are prone to leaking and the exhaust pipe does not exit far enough from the front of the tractor so the fan blow's it back on you .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@DavidBarkey :clap: So true...
DavidBarkey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:24 am When you spent your working life wrenching engines , you don't notice it the same as others...
Fun memory from when I started wrenching for a living - stopping for a :coffee: after work and the cute waitress asking if I was a mechanic as she handed me my coffee and donut... I answered yes, and asked what gave her that idea - she said I "smelled like a mechanic" and her Dad was a mechanic and she loved the smell...
The Onan exhaust smell doesn't bother me - sensitivity to mechanical odours is just one of :wife: quirks... :violin: I used to explain it was the smell of being able to pay the bills... :rofl:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

My :wife: mentions about the gas smell if I’ve been out using any GT. She also mentions the smell if I’ve been welding and cutting metal in the shop. She also mentions about the smell when I’ve been hoisting a few libations with my friends. I guess I’m just a smelly guy. :giggle: :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Harry wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 am My :wife: mentions about the gas smell if I’ve been out using any GT. She also mentions the smell if I’ve been welding and cutting metal in the shop. She also mentions about the smell when I’ve been hoisting a few libations with my friends. I guess I’m just a smelly guy. :giggle: :peace: Harry
Harry , you just need a hearing aid . So you can turn it off when the :wife: is :bla: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Eugen, I do have hearing aids and don’t wear them much. Especially when :wife: is around. :78: I find sometimes they are a PITA. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

If your property has a hill, a hill valve is a must. I started off with a 448 with a hill brake and had a rude awakening when I got a 442 without one.

As for 200 vs 400; the 200 is actually a tougher tractor, the rear frame is stronger, and the hydraulic motor can take more pressure (if you wanted to turn up the relief).