Page 1 of 1

Questions on D100 backhoe

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:35 pm
by Merchlewitz
I have a lead on this but have questions.. did they ever make this without the legs or arms that come down? Or were they taken off on this?Image

Re: Questions on D100 backhoe

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:26 pm
by Timj
Some of the trenchers did not have outriggers or stabilizers on them. I think they did this because they used the dozer blade under the hoe as a stabilizer. It appears that there was only a limited time period for this and then they went to having swing down stabilizers with the blade.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:29 pm
by Merchlewitz
Timj wrote:Some of the trenchers did not have outriggers or stabilizers on them. I think they did this because they used the dozer blade under the hoe as a stabilizer. It appears that there was only a limited time period for this and then they went to having swing down stabilizers with the blade.
You are correct, there’s a blade there.. would that come with the backhoe? And is that even feasible to have on a 648?

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:36 pm
by Timj
It appears that the blade is a separate implement that is attached under the trencher. I don't know how that would go on a tractor.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:39 pm
by Merchlewitz
Timj wrote:It appears that the blade is a separate implement that is attached under the trencher. I don't know how that would go on a tractor.
Does it even make sense to pick something like this up then? Also below the tractor where the are 3 arms and to mount these does there need to be brackets welded on?

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:47 pm
by Timj
Unless you are looking to fab your own outriggers onto this hoe I think I would pass.
@Spike188 should have some pics of how the mounting goes.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:59 pm
by Merchlewitz
Timj wrote:Unless you are looking to fab your own outriggers onto this hoe I think I would pass.
[mention]Spike188[/mention] should have some pics of how the mounting goes.
Are the outriggers/legs welded to the backhoe or? Curious..

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:42 pm
by Spike188
viewtopic.php?p=16265#p16265

This is a link to pictures of the outrigger frame used with the 64x series tractors. The frame in the foreground is upside down for painting. The outriggers are standing up and to the left.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:41 am
by JSinMO
I tried to find a picture of the back of mine. Hope this helps.
9EC2518E-DC93-4A35-BF77-B972EE977EDB.jpeg
I can tell you on my 648 the stabilizers are a must. The back hoe just drags the tractor around with out them. I’m not sure if you can add out riggers to the one you’re looking at. I guess it would depend on how much fabrication work you want to do.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:35 am
by Merchlewitz
Thanks for the info guys going to have a look at this today.. maybe if it’s cheap enough idk..? Lol

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:39 am
by thebuildist
@Merchlewitz
That's exactly what I just bought.

I'll be creating my own complete subframe, as well as outriggers.

I intend to make mine detachable, so it won't actually spend very much time attached to the tractor. But if you care to follow along, I'll be documenting the process, and I'll be happy to share any drawings/plans I create along the way.

I will say that the process I'm following allows me to use a standard, non-reinforced rear transaxle. I'll be hanging all the hoe's weight from the very outward bearing housings, which eliminates the need for extra-strong axle tubes. If you can't find or afford a reinforced rear end, then you might take a look at my design. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise you hang a backhoe on there at all.

If you're wanting to perfectly replicate factory config, you'll have to get a new reinforced rear end in place, and then work more from the various 648LBH pictures that are on this site and the other one. The factory subframe looks pretty easy to do, though you'll still need to build outriggers. To my mind, folding outriggers are both easier to create, and more helpful in use. Their downside is the width. Even folded up, my tractor will be something like 58" wide across the faces of the folded up outrigger pads. If you want to be able to sneak through a normal gate in a residential setting, those outriggers would be in the way.

If you don't want to do or hire any fabrication, then you'll have to wait for a factory made hoe to come along, with its factory outrigger towers and subframe intact.

Bob

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:16 am
by Merchlewitz
thebuildist wrote:[mention]Merchlewitz[/mention]
That's exactly what I just bought.

I'll be creating my own complete subframe, as well as outriggers.

I intend to make mine detachable, so it won't actually spend very much time attached to the tractor. But if you care to follow along, I'll be documenting the process, and I'll be happy to share any drawings/plans I create along the way.

I will say that the process I'm following allows me to use a standard, non-reinforced rear transaxle. I'll be hanging all the hoe's weight from the very outward bearing housings, which eliminates the need for extra-strong axle tubes. If you can't find or afford a reinforced rear end, then you might take a look at my design. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise you hang a backhoe on there at all.

If you're wanting to perfectly replicate factory config, you'll have to get a new reinforced rear end in place, and then work more from the various 648LBH pictures that are on this site and the other one. The factory subframe looks pretty easy to do, though you'll still need to build outriggers. To my mind, folding outriggers are both easier to create, and more helpful in use. Their downside is the width. Even folded up, my tractor will be something like 58" wide across the faces of the folded up outrigger pads. If you want to be able to sneak through a normal gate in a residential setting, those outriggers would be in the way.

If you don't want to do or hire any fabrication, then you'll have to wait for a factory made hoe to come along, with its factory outrigger towers and subframe intact.

Bob
Great info Bob, my axle isn’t heavy duty at all either.. I may hit you up on this.. what do you think that backhoe is worth? I don’t think I should invest too much into it?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:03 am
by thebuildist
Worth is relatively subjective... I was considering building my own, and so when I found one for $500 that has accomplished the majority of the build for me, I was very excited to buy it.

But on the open market for people who buy and sell such things? I don't really know. From that viewpoint I think you have to look at it from the standpoint of, "If I hire someone to put that into place on my machine, what will it cost me? And how does that cost compared to my other options for getting hold of a backhoe?"

So if this actual unit, what would it cost you to get it professionally installed and operating? I'm guessing something like 4 to $6,000. So then ask yourself, how much am I willing to pay to have an operating backhoe? And then work backwards from there.

I have a total of about $1,500 invested in my backhoe project so far. I still need to buy several hoses and deal with any control valve issues that come across. I still need to rework the operator seat / station.

My best guess is that I'll spend another $400 from this point.

If it all works out the way I hope, less than $2,000 to have a working detachable backhoe is a deal that I'm happy with.

But I wouldn't want to invest much more than that in it.

Bob

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:22 am
by Merchlewitz
Here’s what I just picked up..Image

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:34 am
by Eugen
Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:39 am
by Spike188
Well done @Merchlewitz . The rest of the under carriage is flat bar and easly fabricated.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:41 am
by Merchlewitz
Spike188 wrote:Well done [mention]Merchlewitz[/mention] . The rest of the under carriage is flat bar and easly fabricated.
I’m excited lol.. but again I’m not sure on that backhoe without the out riggers… legs seems like a lot of excess work… I still need heavier duty transaxle too.. maybe unless I go with bobs setup… so many decisions ugh.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:42 am
by Merchlewitz
Eugen wrote:Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:
How is your setup coming along?

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:15 am
by Eugen
Merchlewitz wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:42 am
Eugen wrote:Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:
How is your setup coming along?
Well, I got a whole trencher just for the d100. The whole (long!) story is here

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1135

Very rough shape though, rebuilding the backhoe now, slowly. Had plans to put it on the 644.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:35 pm
by Merchlewitz
Back home tucked in safely… used the 648 to unload er :)Image

Questions on D100 backhoe

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:49 pm
by Merchlewitz
Contemplating what to do I just found a 644 LBH but it’s re powered and looks in a bit more rough shape.. I like the power steering and the 648 seems to be a lot cleaner besides some hydraulic leaks… I was wondering how the frames allow the arms to attach they are welded? So I’d need to swap frames or is that even possible? So many questions..Image

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:31 am
by Toolslinger
I believe it depends on the vintage as far as the subframe goes. My early 646 has the subframe mounts bolted on while the later Series B has them welded.
They're not real exotic if you had to fabricate them assuming you can weld. You could hog them out of a solid chunk of steel too, but that would be a project...

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 am
by Timj
If the price is right on this 644 I think I would chase it. If the hoe works out I'd move it to your 648. Then do a little cleanup on the 644 and sell it, unless you have use for two machines. :peace:

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:16 pm
by Eugen
Timj wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:27 am If the price is right on this 644 I think I would chase it. If the hoe works out I'd move it to your 648. Then do a little cleanup on the 644 and sell it, unless you have use for two machines. :peace:
What he says! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:47 pm
by thebuildist
Merchlewitz wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:22 am Here’s what I just picked up..Image
I must live in the wrong part of the world. How do you find all these things? And so fast!

Bob

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:01 pm
by Harry
You must be in the right place at the right time. They only show up once in a blue moon in my area. I’ve only seen two that were complete GT’s and I purchased both of them. I remember going to look at the 644 lbh thinking I’ll just look it over. It was so cool I bought it. After using it I was so glad I did. I agree the 600’s are getting rare to find, better snatch it up! :highfive: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:03 pm
by Merchlewitz
thebuildist wrote:
Merchlewitz wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:22 am Here’s what I just picked up..Image
I must live in the wrong part of the world. How do you find all these things? And so fast!

Bob
Lucky I guess lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:04 pm
by Merchlewitz
Harry wrote:You must be in the right place at the right time. They only show up once in a blue moon in my area. I’ve only seen two that were complete GT’s and I purchased both of them. I remember going to look at the 644 lbh thinking I’ll just look it over. It was so cool I bought it. After using it I was so glad I did. I agree the 600’s are getting rare to find, better snatch it up! :highfive: :peace: Harry
I’ll be picking this up soonImage

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:23 pm
by Eugen
Lucky! Congrats! Fix'er up and you'll be happy this happened! Looking forward to your journey with it. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:07 pm
by thebuildist
Congrats @Merchlewitz .

You're way ahead of the game now!

Bob

Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:06 pm
by JSinMO
Wow! Can’t wait to see it! :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 am
by Spike188
Based on color, the 644 is a 1976. It has the 12" rims and heavy webbed trans axle. I would swap rear ends and hoe over to the 648. The under carriage from the 644 will be a bolt on transfer to the 648. I think the 644 will have 1" plate counter weights. If so the carriage made need modification for the cast weights to fit.

Welcome to the bh club.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:06 am
by Merchlewitz
Spike188 wrote:Based on color, the 644 is a 1976. It has the 12" rims and heavy webbed trans axle. I would swap rear ends and hoe over to the 648. The under carriage from the 644 will be a bolt on transfer to the 648. I think the 644 will have 1" plate counter weights. If so the carriage made need modification for the cast weights to fit.

Welcome to the bh club.
Spike appreciate all the info.. if the weights already work on the 644 should I just use those and I don’t have to modified anything then? Or is the Cast iron weight better weight? Does one way more than the other?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:58 am
by Spike188
The parts book shows the cast weights under a different part number for the 648. The only difference I can think of between the 644/646 and the 648 is power steering. I have modified a 1974 646 frame to accept a backhoe undercarriage from a 1975 646. 1975 was the year backhoes were introduced. The only modification required was drilling 2 holes for carriage mounts. One of those holes is where the 648 power steering cylinder mounts.

It will be interesting to see if there will need to be modifications to the carriage during the switch.

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:55 am
by Merchlewitz
Spike188 wrote:The parts book shows the cast weights under a different part number for the 648. The only difference I can think of between the 644/646 and the 648 is power steering. I have modified a 1974 646 frame to accept a backhoe undercarriage from a 1975 646. 1975 was the year backhoes were introduced. The only modification required was drilling 2 holes for carriage mounts. One of those holes is where the 648 power steering cylinder mounts.

It will be interesting to see if there will aby modifications to the carriage during the switch.
Ah yes… we shall see..

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:33 am
by Harry
Merchlewitz if you do purchase the 644 that would be great. If I were you I would put the 644 to work and see how it performs to evaluate it. You can always use the 648 as a loader to move material, that’s where the power steering will be nice to have. I’ve found on my 644 lbh, the hoe counter balances nicely for traction and helps in steering also. With your luck in finding GT’s you might just bump into a 7020. :spin: :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:36 am
by Merchlewitz
Harry wrote:Merchlewitz if you do purchase the 644 that would be great. If I were you I would put the 644 to work and see how it performs to evaluate it. You can always use the 648 as a loader to move material, that’s where the power steering will be nice to have. I’ve found on my 644 lbh, the hoe counter balances nicely for traction and helps in steering also. With your luck in finding GT’s you might just bump into a 7020. :spin: :peace: Harry
Haha that does sound tempting… I am limited on space and already told the wife I’d be making one unit out of both and selling the rest… so tempting…. ;)

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 pm
by Harry
I have so many, my :wife: doesn’t know how many I have. I always tell her it’s my hobby and it keeps me busy, sometimes to busy. One 600 to dig material and another 600 to move it. Works for me! :highfive: :peace: Harry

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:10 pm
by Merchlewitz
This is very interesting, It looks like there’s foot pedals to lift and lower the down riggers maybe is this custom?Image

Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 pm
by Eugen
Looks like its was repowered. That engine is 2 cylinders. Doesn't look too bad, but I can see needing some work. Any hydraulic leaks?

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 am
by Merchlewitz
It does have a leak on the backhoe but I believe that’s suppose to be fixed.. Am aware it’s a repower but do you see what I am talking about by the downriggers there’s a set of foot pedals on the inside that I think do something? Whether it’s move the downriggers up or down or move the backhoe left to right?

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:11 am
by Spike188
The foot pedal is a custom addition. The top of the operator controls are not visible so this is a guess based on the side profile where the levers can be seen. There would have been 6 levers as new. The 2 out side levers of the 6 controlled the down riggers. One of those looks like is missing.

Another addition is something I have noticed on other back hoe sub-frames. The top link flat bar, attached just rear on the front wheels, angling up to the top connecting point of the hoe has been beefed up. The original top link was probably made of a 1-1/2 X 1/2 flat bar. It was not stong enough and would bend, letting the hoe tower tilt back into the operator seat. The solution on the one in your picture was to double plate the flat bar connecting link. Mine had an angle welded to the sides and notched to make clearance points. I have not came up with a plan on how to do a clean upgrade on mine, but it will not be put back together as originally built.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:38 am
by Toolslinger
My bet would be the foot pedals are connected to the swing circuit. Case had larger machine early on that worked that way, and perhaps the PO was more familiar with that pattern.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:56 am
by Eugen
Toolslinger wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:38 am My bet would be the foot pedals are connected to the swing circuit. Case had larger machine early on that worked that way, and perhaps the PO was more familiar with that pattern.
Yep, my 680 swings that way. Gives me shivers when one of the pedals gets stuck depressed. :109:

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:22 am
by RoamingGnome
Same with my '65 Case 530CK - foot pedals on the sides of the backhoe tower for the swing circuit...

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 am
by Merchlewitz
RoamingGnome wrote:Same with my '65 Case 530CK - foot pedals on the sides of the backhoe tower for the swing circuit...
And this is totally custom the foot pedals etc?

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:25 am
by Eugen
@Merchlewitz on the big backhoes it's factory default. On yours it appears to be custom. It's a nice feature if done well. :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:48 am
by Merchlewitz
Eugen wrote:[mention]Merchlewitz[/mention] on the big backhoes it's factory default. On yours it appears to be custom. It's a nice feature if done well. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the updates hopefully it’s done decent.