Questions on D100 backhoe

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Questions on D100 backhoe

Post by thebuildist »

@Merchlewitz
That's exactly what I just bought.

I'll be creating my own complete subframe, as well as outriggers.

I intend to make mine detachable, so it won't actually spend very much time attached to the tractor. But if you care to follow along, I'll be documenting the process, and I'll be happy to share any drawings/plans I create along the way.

I will say that the process I'm following allows me to use a standard, non-reinforced rear transaxle. I'll be hanging all the hoe's weight from the very outward bearing housings, which eliminates the need for extra-strong axle tubes. If you can't find or afford a reinforced rear end, then you might take a look at my design. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise you hang a backhoe on there at all.

If you're wanting to perfectly replicate factory config, you'll have to get a new reinforced rear end in place, and then work more from the various 648LBH pictures that are on this site and the other one. The factory subframe looks pretty easy to do, though you'll still need to build outriggers. To my mind, folding outriggers are both easier to create, and more helpful in use. Their downside is the width. Even folded up, my tractor will be something like 58" wide across the faces of the folded up outrigger pads. If you want to be able to sneak through a normal gate in a residential setting, those outriggers would be in the way.

If you don't want to do or hire any fabrication, then you'll have to wait for a factory made hoe to come along, with its factory outrigger towers and subframe intact.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Merchlewitz United States of America

Post by Merchlewitz »

thebuildist wrote:[mention]Merchlewitz[/mention]
That's exactly what I just bought.

I'll be creating my own complete subframe, as well as outriggers.

I intend to make mine detachable, so it won't actually spend very much time attached to the tractor. But if you care to follow along, I'll be documenting the process, and I'll be happy to share any drawings/plans I create along the way.

I will say that the process I'm following allows me to use a standard, non-reinforced rear transaxle. I'll be hanging all the hoe's weight from the very outward bearing housings, which eliminates the need for extra-strong axle tubes. If you can't find or afford a reinforced rear end, then you might take a look at my design. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise you hang a backhoe on there at all.

If you're wanting to perfectly replicate factory config, you'll have to get a new reinforced rear end in place, and then work more from the various 648LBH pictures that are on this site and the other one. The factory subframe looks pretty easy to do, though you'll still need to build outriggers. To my mind, folding outriggers are both easier to create, and more helpful in use. Their downside is the width. Even folded up, my tractor will be something like 58" wide across the faces of the folded up outrigger pads. If you want to be able to sneak through a normal gate in a residential setting, those outriggers would be in the way.

If you don't want to do or hire any fabrication, then you'll have to wait for a factory made hoe to come along, with its factory outrigger towers and subframe intact.

Bob
Great info Bob, my axle isn’t heavy duty at all either.. I may hit you up on this.. what do you think that backhoe is worth? I don’t think I should invest too much into it?
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Worth is relatively subjective... I was considering building my own, and so when I found one for $500 that has accomplished the majority of the build for me, I was very excited to buy it.

But on the open market for people who buy and sell such things? I don't really know. From that viewpoint I think you have to look at it from the standpoint of, "If I hire someone to put that into place on my machine, what will it cost me? And how does that cost compared to my other options for getting hold of a backhoe?"

So if this actual unit, what would it cost you to get it professionally installed and operating? I'm guessing something like 4 to $6,000. So then ask yourself, how much am I willing to pay to have an operating backhoe? And then work backwards from there.

I have a total of about $1,500 invested in my backhoe project so far. I still need to buy several hoses and deal with any control valve issues that come across. I still need to rework the operator seat / station.

My best guess is that I'll spend another $400 from this point.

If it all works out the way I hope, less than $2,000 to have a working detachable backhoe is a deal that I'm happy with.

But I wouldn't want to invest much more than that in it.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"

Post by Merchlewitz »

Here’s what I just picked up..Image
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

Well done @Merchlewitz . The rest of the under carriage is flat bar and easly fabricated.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH

Post by Merchlewitz »

Spike188 wrote:Well done [mention]Merchlewitz[/mention] . The rest of the under carriage is flat bar and easly fabricated.
I’m excited lol.. but again I’m not sure on that backhoe without the out riggers… legs seems like a lot of excess work… I still need heavier duty transaxle too.. maybe unless I go with bobs setup… so many decisions ugh.

Post by Merchlewitz »

Eugen wrote:Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:
How is your setup coming along?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Merchlewitz wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:42 am
Eugen wrote:Nice! I need just that too! :thumbsup:
How is your setup coming along?
Well, I got a whole trencher just for the d100. The whole (long!) story is here

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1135

Very rough shape though, rebuilding the backhoe now, slowly. Had plans to put it on the 644.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Merchlewitz »

Back home tucked in safely… used the 648 to unload er :)Image