Page 1 of 1

646 repower

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:47 pm
by Harry
Today I pulled the tired Onan from the 646 loader GT. I have the Honda replacement engine ready to go in. I’ll have to fabricate a attachment plate to bolt to the frame and engine to plate. I also will have to plumb up the hydraulic pump to existing lines where old pump is now. Engine runs great and as most Hondas starts right up. :peace: Harry

Re: 646 repower

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:49 pm
by Eugen
Interesting project @Harry , looking forward to it! :highfive:

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:41 pm
by Timj
Nice project Harry, that Honda should be a good power plant for you. :highfive:

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:37 pm
by Harry
Today a friend brought over a lovejoy coupler that fit the engine crank and the hydro pump. All buttoned up and ready to make engine mount adapter plate and fit engine in the GT. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 pm
by Harry
Today I cleaned by more parts and carefully put the engine in the tractor. Connected the hydraulic line to hydraulic pump. Took some measurement’s and cut all the metal, 1/4” plate to fabricate the engine mount to tractor frame connection. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:34 pm
by Eugen
That is a nice fit Harry. When I wanted to repower my old 644 with a Honda clone it didn't seem to fit very well, so I went back to a K321. But yours looks good! :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:25 am
by DavidBarkey
Looking good Harry . On the 446s there is a air baffle/ heat shield on the back of the motor . Does the 646 have the same thing?

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:24 am
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:34 pm That is a nice fit Harry. When I wanted to repower my old 644 with a Honda clone it didn't seem to fit very well, so I went back to a K321. But yours looks good! :thumbsup:
Eugen, the 600 series have more room than the 400 series does. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:29 am
by Harry
DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:25 am Looking good Harry . On the 446s there is a air baffle/ heat shield on the back of the motor . Does the 646 have the same thing?
David, the 600 series does have a heat shield on the onan CCKA engine, which dies not work for the Honda. I still have a few things to work out yet. I kept waking up last night thinking about the engine transplant. I hate when that happens. :pullhair: :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:39 pm
by Jancoe
Harry,
Best to have a notepad next to the bed for times like this.
The transplant is looking good. I like what i see. I know you said before you had these motors sitting on a shelf. I really like honda motors and if I were to replace any of my onan tractors I'd want to do it to my 6018bh. Running that backhoe for awhile at times is earmuffs loud and not efficient with fuel.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:45 pm
by Harry
Progress has been slow on the repower. Cut a cardboard template, check for fit. Transfer to metal and locate holes, drill holes check for fit. Put in take off, make adjustments. I finally completed the engine to frame mount. All painted and installed. I like to tig weld nuts in hard to reach with a wrench areas. Tack weld the nuts, wait to cool then run a tap through them to chase threads. It makes it easier to install and disassemble later. Throttle and choke cables installed. Fuel line connected and now working on oil cooler and hydraulic oil tank. I thought there was plenty if room and it fits with some creative fabrication. Again welding nuts on to help out with assembly. Next is the exhaust system which I’m still thinking about. It’s definitely not going to be a stack up in the air. :112: It’s a work in progress and I don’t want to rush it. :bee: I was very concerned about getting the engine low enough so the hood would close. Then I thought a hood scoop would look terrific. Engine is low and hood closes. Now the oil tank cap hits the hood in front. I’ll have to make adjustments somewhere. :peace: Harry

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:18 am
by DavidBarkey
Looking good Harry .

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:45 am
by Eugen
Welding the nuts on is a really great idea @Harry . Some people build stuff that's terrible to fix after. Glad to see you do it well. The backhoe I'm working on now had absolutely every pin clip on the interior side where it's virtually impossible to get to. Once it gets really rusty over time it it becomes the stuff nightmares are made off. Wish I was able to tig weld for this.

The fact that you're not in a hurry helps getting that new engine in just right!

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:20 am
by Harry
Eugen wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:45 am Welding the nuts on is a really great idea @Harry . Some people build stuff that's terrible to fix after. Glad to see you do it well. The backhoe I'm working on now had absolutely every pin clip on the interior side where it's virtually impossible to get to. Once it gets really rusty over time it it becomes the stuff nightmares are made off. Wish I was able to tig weld for this.

The fact that you're not in a hurry helps getting that new engine in just right!
Eugen, when I looked at my hoe a few weeks back the PO had 1/8” diameter wire through the holes and rusted in place. Tough to get at and hard to get out. Penetrating oil and a punch with a hammer to drive them out. Not a fun job! Yesterday I stopped at my friends house who repairs lawn mowers. I picked up three pieces of exhaust parts with a muffler from old lawn tractors. I liked the way you made an exhaust go under the tractor and shoot out the back. I think with the parts I picked I could make something similar. :peace:
Harry

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:29 pm
by Harry
It’s been a long three days cutting fitting and welding. Today I finished the exhaust system for the 646 GT. I tack welded all the parts together on the tractor with my MIG welder. Then disassembled it and TIG welded all the joints together. I made it in two pieces with flanges to make it easier to assemble. Most of the parts came from my small engine mechanics junk pile. I painted it today with high temp black header paint, then bolted it back on checking for fit which was perfect. Next is to remove it and wrap it with titanium header wrap. :thumbsup: :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:50 pm
by DavidBarkey
Nice job on the exhaust Harry.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:47 pm
by Timj
Looks great Harry :thumbsup:

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:37 pm
by Harry
As we all know it’s that time of year with to many irons in the fire. We had some rain this afternoon so I spent the afternoon working in my shop. Did some grilling for lunch then got busy on the 646. I wrapped the exhaust with titanium header wrap then installed on the GT. I’m happy with the results. There is just a couple of items to finish before I can fill up the hydraulic oil tank and fire it up. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:55 pm
by JSinMO
Well done @Harry , it’s looking great!
I’m looking forward to you starting it up and testing it out! :thumbsup:

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:54 pm
by Harry
It’s been touch and go on the repower but slowly making headway. Today I assembled parts I collected and fabricated to have a hydraulic pressure gauge in the dashboard. The hour meter never worked so I removed it and put the gauge in it’s place. I replaced the drain plug in the tcv with a 1/4” nipple, brass T, 1/4” plug and a 4’, 1/4” hydraulic hose. Plug is on the bottom of the T and hose to gauge on the side. (Sorry no pic of the plumbing). :peace: Harry

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:43 pm
by Eugen
That's really nice @Harry . You're going to be tempted to watch it all the time :D

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:12 pm
by Harry
There was one on the 644lbh when I bought it, so why not have one on the 646. :peace: Harry

Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:46 am
by DavidBarkey
I did the same thing to Frankie a few years back . Alowed me to set the releafs . Now only look at it when it squeels

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:29 am
by Harry
Rainy day yesterday so the day was a busy one in the shop. I finally took care of the little things on the 646 and fired it up. It sounds sweet a totally different sound than any tractor I have. Must be the muffler, more throaty of a sound. Drove it back and forth on the driveway a few times and cycled all the hydraulics to work any air out of the system. Then I parked it in the shop over a big piece if cardboard to check for oil leaks. No leaks detected so far. :thumbsup: A few more enhancements like a battery heat shield and a new battery hold down were fabricated before shutting down for dinner. I took a video if the engine running but not sure how to post it. Maybe someone can let me know how to do that. With thise bug boots on the rear and combine weights it seems to drive like a tank. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:25 am
by MattA
Sounds like it's got a bit more power now 👍
I'm curious how much hydraulic power (HP) the loaders and backhoes have. Can they max out your 20HP Honda?

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 12:21 pm
by Eugen
@Harry , I noticed my 644 with the muffler way back under the rear axle makes the more boom sound. Maybe it's on account of the longer pipe between engine and muffler.

Looking forward to seeing it working! :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:23 am
by Harry
MattA wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:25 am Sounds like it's got a bit more power now 👍
I'm curious how much hydraulic power (HP) the loaders and backhoes have. Can they max out your 20HP Honda?
I doubt there will be any problems Matt. The 644 lbh grunts a little when I have the loader bucket loaded with heavy material. The hoe doesn’t seem to tax the hydraulic system at all digging dirt and it has a 14 hp Kohler. I’ll be discing the garden soon with the 646 so I’ll see how it dies. :peace: Harry