Electric clutch

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Electric clutch

Post by ras101 »

Yeah, I know guys keep it at least authentic, right?.. well, already left the fold with re-powering to B&S 188HP Vanguard engine but still want to keep my 446/444 too. Forgive me? Need to add a new PTO to my GT I have been working on for a few years now, a 1987 444. Sorry, but it will be an electric clutch too with a B&S 18hp Vanguard engine. So I have at least lost 85% of the population here already, dam! I have a chance of an authentic electric clutch off a Four digit with a B$S engine. I will obviously be running this counter to the original in theory but i9n practice perhaps not.. My plan is to run this clutch on a B&S 18 hp with the engine facing foreword with the clutch attached to the flywheel end rather than the drive end of the motor and the pulley fitted close to the engine off the shaft. Can you see any issues with that? I am thinking though that a standard Case/Ingersoll clutch should used here?
thebuildist United States of America

Re: Electric clutch

Post by thebuildist »

Once you go with a non-standard engine, it really opens up in general terms a world of options.

At that point you can run whatever clutch fits the application. I think flywheel end should be fine. I would try to stay close to the original pulley size. But if you go over a bit that will only increase your blade speed a little bit, and it's not a bad thing.

But beyond that whatever pto you can get to fit there should work just fine.

Your belt length is going to be different from factory. But just swapping the engine itself is going to make that happen. So you'll need to measure for the correct belt and perhaps write the length inside of the hood or something so that going forward you don't have to reinvent the wheel every time.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I’m not a purist with the GT’s. I’m more for upgrading for efficiency. I like the electric clutch and newer efficient engines. I figure by the time I’m gone my GT’s will be sold for pennies on a dollar. No trailer Queens here. :446cart: I will be posting a repower for the 646 soon. Yesterday started to pull the CCKA Onan. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I like the original tractors and enjoy nicely done restorations. :letmesee: But as a matter of function and expense for a "working tractor", whatever works for the owner is good. :thumbsup:
If your clutch deal doesn't pan out it shouldn't be hard to come up with the #'s for the right "Extreme" clutch for your application. :cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: