Case D100 backhoe

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: Case D100 backhoe

Post by Gordy »

Bob,
As to the question of the axle being cast steel or cast iron. I have been told it is steel and recall seeing them welded after the differential bolts broke and punched a hole in the axle housing. But it is easy to confirm this, pick an out of sight spot and drill a 1/8" hole a 1/8" deep. Collect the material the drill removes. You know steel holds together and is shiny silver, cast iron will be small flakes and powder with a dull grey color. If you don't want to use a drill, a coarse file should work too.

:cheers:
Gordy
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Gordy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 am Bob,
As to the question of the axle being cast steel or cast iron. I have been told it is steel and recall seeing them welded after the differential bolts broke and punched a hole in the axle housing. But it is easy to confirm this, pick an out of sight spot and drill a 1/8" hole a 1/8" deep. Collect the material the drill removes. You know steel holds together and is shiny silver, cast iron will be small flakes and powder with a dull grey color. If you don't want to use a drill, a coarse file should work too.

Gordy
I'm pretty sure it's cast steel also, my cousin had his welded after a diff bolt broke. His tractor is a lightly used late 90s 4018. This is a less common occurrence with the newer tractors.
img_1_1654570850220.jpg
Just a random pic I had, cousins hole was bigger with less pieces. :((
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

An easy way to determine the difference between cast steel and cast iron is to grind on it. Watch the spark pattern coming off the grind wheel. Use a piece of steel and cast as a reference to compare. Once you see the difference you’ll never forget. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Harry wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:44 am An easy way to determine the difference between cast steel and cast iron is to grind on it. Watch the spark pattern coming off the grind wheel. Use a piece of steel and cast as a reference to compare. Once you see the difference you’ll never forget. :peace: Harry
:headbash: yep forgot about that :oops: Steel sparks will be bright and longer lived, compared to cast irons duller short lived sparks. But as you said a newbie would need to do both side by side to see for sure the difference :thumbsup:

Gordy
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

On the old forum bknight187 rebuilt a backhoe axle. I think he swapped the guts from the broken housing to the new housing. I was just the nice guy who passed on the $3500 LBH deal to a local CCI friend who passed it onto Bknight187.
Ingersoll 4016
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

MattA wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:03 am On the old forum bknight187 rebuilt a backhoe axle. I think he swapped the guts from the broken housing to the new housing. I was just the nice guy who passed on the $3500 LBH deal to a local CCI friend who passed it onto Bknight187.
Here you'll pay $3500 for an LBH if it got squashed by a meteorite! Wow.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

A few years back I called about a 646 lbh that was all apart, on CL. A few pics of boxes full of miscellaneous parts and the frame with engine rear differential and hoe scattered on a trailer bed. Seller was looking to get 5K for it all. I told him over the phone I would give him 1K sight unseen. He said he wanted to put it together but was relocating to another state and couldn’t take it with him. I asked what was his bottom on the price. He immediately came down to $2500. I replied I don’t know if all the parts are there and would have to buy tires because this GT had been in a fire. He wouldn’t budge on the price. I was tempted to go and take a look but I was still working and my plate was full. It didn’t last but a week and it was gone. If I had purchased it I probably still would not have it done and a money pit for to sure. That’s my Monday ramble. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Well..........

I appear to have bought a backhoe attachment. $500 cash. I couldn't pass up a chance like that.
image.png
It's a fixer-upper for sure. New hoses for sure, and some rehab to do on the control levers for sure, and a missing tooth, and... whatever else I find along the way. The rod end of the boom lift cylinder seems like it has snapped off and been welded back on at some point. We'll have to see if it was done right. But it doesn't seem to have been beaten to death.

It is a D100, it definitely doesn't have outriggers. But that can be fixed.

The loader didn't have any trouble at all picking it up, even if my rigging did a poor job of keeping it upright.
image.png
But it's been raining the last 4 days solid, and the ground is saturated. So I couldn't get enough traction to drive. It's going to have to just sit where it is for a couple days until things dry up.

image.png
I even got my golf cart stuck trying to put away the trailer. And that silly golf cart generally has this unexplained SPOOKY good traction. But not today.
image.png
So since I already had the tractor out, I just picked up the back end and brought it out of the miry clay, so to speak.
image.png
image.png
Next I need to get my outriggers designed and get some cylinders ordered for them.

And I need to take a drive to a place about an hour away that has some good deals on steel. He has some 1"x3.5" bar stock that'll be the main structure of the subframe. And he has some 4" wide C channel that'll be the actual structure of the outriggers.

I still need to track down some 3/8 plate or something to build the structure that the outriggers will attach to. I'll see if he has anything I can use. His prices aren't scrap-level cheap. But he's about half what I'll pay retail.

QUESTION: On the factory LBH models, about how many inches of ground clearance at the point underneath the hoe's big vertical pin? I need a starting point to design the subframe....

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Congrats! It'll be a fun project and it'll work out fine. You'll see. FWIW your backhoe is in amazing shape, compared to mine. :thumbsup:
E
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Congrads on the score Bob. I'm sure you'll fab up something nice :cheers:
Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am
MattA wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:03 am On the old forum bknight187 rebuilt a backhoe axle. I think he swapped the guts from the broken housing to the new housing. I was just the nice guy who passed on the $3500 LBH deal to a local CCI friend who passed it onto Bknight187.
Here you'll pay $3500 for an LBH if it got squashed by a meteorite! Wow.
Yeah it was a steal 5 years ago even with broken diff bolts and a hole in the axle housing.
Ingersoll 4016