Float Position & Battery Hold down

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
turboff Canada

Float Position & Battery Hold down

Post by turboff »

Hey gang,
On my new to 444 (1971) I have a float position I am using while plowing snow. When I push the lever up I can feel the detent, but the lever does not stay there. It resets back to a neutral position. Is there something I can look for to verify that is actually in the float position? Is the implement lever supposed to return to a neutral position or is it supposed lock to that detent while in float? I have done tons of searching to find info on this and what the lever is supposed to do but have found nothing. According to the owners manual it sounds like it should be staying in the "float" position after it hits the detent, or at least that is how I understand it.

Also, there is not hold-down or clamp on my battery. It just rattles around in the tray. I have looked at parts diagrams, in the battery section and haven't seen anything about a hold-down for the battery, but it does look like there are holes for one to be mounted if desired. Is there a part number, or will any generic battery hold-down work?
Eugen Canada

Re: Float Position & Battery Hold down

Post by Eugen »

Normally it should stay in float by itself until you move it out of the detent. Sounds like the TCV might be damaged or something is missing. On my 444 it doesn't even feel like a detent there, so want to take the TCV off and see if I can fix it. Someone here might know if there is a ball/spring mechanism that provides the detent and hold and if that can be fixed.

As for the battery clamp, I don't know how it would have been originally, but one of my Case tractors came with a 1" bar on top of the battery and two long threaded rods that press the bar on the battery.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Neither my 648 or 446 came to me with battery hold downs. I think they both have holes in the battery tray for a hold down though. As @Eugen some threaded rod and a bar across the top should be more than sufficient.
turboff Canada

Post by turboff »

Eugen wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:16 pm Normally it should stay in float by itself until you move it out of the detent. Sounds like the TCV might be damaged or something is missing. On my 444 it doesn't even feel like a detent there, so want to take the TCV off and see if I can fix it. Someone here might know if there is a ball/spring mechanism that provides the detent and hold and if that can be fixed.

As for the battery clamp, I don't know how it would have been originally, but one of my Case tractors came with a 1" bar on top of the battery and two long threaded rods that press the bar on the battery.

Thank you!
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

For batteries, I've got one with a clip, one with a bar, and one with a bungee. All three work just fine with the OEM clip being the ideal. The bar, and rod deal I threw together. Rock solid, but it can be a bit of a pain to use. The bungee is the fastest, but least secure. I'm not really running the Baja 1000 so it doesn't take too much to keep the battery in place...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@turboff With the float . It will be weak springs or gummed up bad . There are two little bolts holding the springs that hold the balls in the groove . The top one is a pain to get out with out pulling the valve . Try carefully pulling the bottom #18 , spring #19 and ball #16 on page 5 . Check condition for rust or broken . If looks ok , spray so pentrating oil in th detent houseing working back and forth as you do . This will help loosen and clear any crud build up . Re install the detent being very carfully not to over tighten the bolt as the alluminum housing will strip easily.

https://manuals.ccigt.com/More/Case-Ing ... -Valve.pdf
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I have a few different variations. One has the original heavy wire that goes through the holes in the battery tray then up to the top of the battery. I believe that was OEM. So I took a 1/8” wire and bent one up for another GT. It worked just as good as the OEM. Two have threaded rods from battery tray to a bar across the top of the battery. I noticed on my neglected 226 it has a angle iron from dashboard to top of battery. I like that hold down the best. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226