Case 446 troubles.

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
propane1 Canada

Case 446 troubles.

Post by propane1 »

She acted up couple of times in the last times I’ve used it.
I’m thinking dirt some where. What are you thoughts.
Video of it. Easier to see than for me to explain.

Noel

https://youtu.be/wG7epCMf3zM

Hopefully video works. :D
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Case 446 troubles.

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:57 pm She acted up couple of times in the last times I’ve used it.

Noel

Sorry Noel I could not pick up what was wrong from the video. Can you describe it . Like is it bogging down , surging , backfireing , ect.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Spike188 Canada

Post by Spike188 »

In the video at the 6:15 mark, the engine stalls. It does not sound like a fuel issue to me. I am leaning toward the ignition system. I have seen this type of issue come from a faulty key switch, or wiring harness. It may be hard to find.
Spike Colt - 9 & 10, Case - 108, 118, 444, 446, 448, 646, 646bh, Ingersoll 4016, 4118AH
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm
propane1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:57 pm She acted up couple of times in the last times I’ve used it.

Noel

Sorry Noel I could not pick up what was wrong from the video. Can you describe it . Like is it bogging down , surging , backfireing , ect.

It’s been running like it’s very lightly stumbling Dave. Sorta like bad plugs, fire jumping from spark plug wires or fire jumping at the coil. As if it’s wet wires or coil. But the other day it stumbles a number of times and I had to play with the throttle and choke to get it to run sorta normal. Then ran, but sorta off. So today the same thing. Was running and doing the same sorta not running perfect sound and then she just blep blop blep blop and quit. I said , I see. That’s just great. So tryed a restart and after turning for a few seconds it started. Normally starts real quick. Then finished what I was doing. But still had that off sound like it was sorta mini missing.

Hopefully that helps. :D

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Spike188 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:36 pm In the video at the 6:15 mark, the engine stalls. It does not sound like a fuel issue to me. I am leaning toward the ignition system. I have seen this type of issue come from a faulty key switch, or wiring harness. It may be hard to find.
Thanks Eugene , I missed that the first time .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:06 pm

Noel

It’s been running like it’s very lightly stumbling Dave. Sorta like bad plugs, fire jumping from spark plug wires or fire jumping at the coil. As if it’s wet wires or coil. But the other day it stumbles a number of times and I had to play with the throttle and choke to get it to run sorta normal. Then ran, but sorta off. So today the same thing. Was running and doing the same sorta not running perfect sound and then she just blep blop blep blop and quit. I said , I see. That’s just great. So tryed a restart and after turning for a few seconds it started. Normally starts real quick. Then finished what I was doing. But still had that off sound like it was sorta mini missing.

Hopefully that helps. :D

Noel
What I did not see when you got it running again was any black smoke / unburnt fuel from the ignition failing . It sounded to me like it ran out of gas under load . Check the fuel tank screen . If there is not one there , have someone watch at the fuel fitting in the tank and carefully blown gently back through the fuel line and see if anything comes out like a fly or other debree . Stuff that size will get sucked down the fitting but can't get past the 90 . Other thing to check ids the gas cap . Take it a part and make sure nothing has made a nest in there .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Thanks Dave. It maybe a while before I get to it. It als seems hotter than normal. So could be running lean.
But where the exhaust pipe comes out of the hood it was black there.
It’s a strange engine. Some times black in bonnet and some time not. Over the time I’ve had it.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Pictures of the plugs in it. Don’t look to bad to me. I’ll check the gap before I put them back in.

Noel
Attachments
Right
Right
C751F8BD-8574-4C07-BBA7-6B8F9A9D24CC.jpeg
Left / right.
Left / right.
Left
Left
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Like you said Noel , it comes and goes . But you did play with the choke to get it to run right so would be masking what is going on . Need to check them when it quits . Let cool some then check them before trying to restart . Water in the fuel can make it run lean as well . A little water in the float bowl will close the needle of at a lower fuel level . Black on the hood is most likely from starting (choke on ) . As there was no snow blowing back on to the engine in the video to cause a wet ignition problem . I doubt it is that , but anything is possible .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm no expert but didn't lots of people have problems with the intake manifold on these Onans? Another usual suspect is fuel delivery. Crud in the tank or along the line. Take the carb bowl off and see if you got some crud there.

To me the spark plugs don't show any sign of trouble. :geek:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: