front bumper

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

front bumper

Post by thebuildist »

The other day I got thinking about loading some dirt into the back of my pickup. And I realized that having a front bumper would be nice. Not so much to protect the front hood of the loader, although I don't want to tear up the front hood of the loader... But more to protect the side of the more valuable pickup truck. And the hydraulic drive for better or for worse I find to be a little bit surge-y.

It is a bit of a challenge to pull forward to a precise spot. Especially with a heavy load in the bucket. And if the ground is uneven etc etc.

So I'd like to have a front bumper that would provide some protection for the object that I'm pulling up to.

The other day I started working on a front bumper made from 1-in sprinkler pipe. I made it about 22 in long and then notched and bent the outer two and a half inches to about a 25° angle and welded that smooth. And welded a little domed piece of steel on the open end of the pipe, to give it a nice smooth round appearance all over.

But then I realized that running this piece of pipe up against the side of my truck isn't going to help. It's just as damaging to the paint as the nose of the tractor would be.

So I put on my thinking cap and realized that the front bumper on my late '90s club car golf cart is actually pretty close to what I need.
PXL_20230227_150913981.jpg
So I ordered a replacement one from eBay. About $25. And manufactured a bracket to attach that replacement bumper to my front snap fast pins.
PXL_20230227_142452755.jpg
PXL_20230227_142645390.jpg
PXL_20230227_150718801.jpg
PXL_20230227_150838322.jpg
Now this isn't a how-to, because most people can't use their snap fast with the deck installed, because the deck's mule drive is hogging the snap fast. But that was one of the first things I ever fixed, was attaching my deck straight to the frame, leaving the snap fast system free for other uses.

And my machine has that extra horizontal rib that's serving as the base for the triangular supports that run up to the top of the loader receiver stanchions. And I have a couple bolts running through that horizontal rib, which is what keeps this new bracket from rotating downward.

So my bracket won't work for anybody's machine but mine. But the basic idea is there for anybody that likes it:. Pick up a replacement front bumper for a club car DS. And it's pretty easy to fabricate a bracket to mount that bumper out front.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Re: front bumper

Post by Eugen »

I like what you've done Bob!

I've had similar thoughts, yet different. My biggest problem ever since I got the 644 loader is when using it as a "crane" to load/unload heavy items from the truck, or carry heavy stuff back and forth. Either a chain or a heavy duty strap is used to lift the heavy item, which inevitably will swing back and forth and hit the grille or the front top of the tractor hood. After having done this a couple of times I got used to put a used tire on the front of the hood, but still, some sort of bumper like yours, however, which would come up high enough to protect the grille and hood would be ideal for me. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

Thanks @Eugen

I've thought about the grill idea. Kind of like an old Ford or Massey farm tractor. And making the grill itself is no big deal. But I haven't thought of a good way to mount it such that it easily comes down with the hood. I gave a little thought to just mounting it to the hood itself at about a half inch standoff. But my concern there is that it then looks more rugged than it actually is. If you really run into something you're just going to crumple the hood's sheet metal.

Now in your case with the 600 series you have a whole different grill and hood thing going. And if I recall correctly, your grill doesn't tilt forward right? So in your case you really could just whip up a grill out of 3/16 by inch and a quarter bar stock and just mounted in place.

Or am I missing something?
Last edited by thebuildist on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from the great Eugen hall of shame. This is the dumbass thing I tend to do when I got no patience, which happens quite often. :109:

https://vimeo.com/547784749

I gotta give credit to Case for building a tractor that only got a minor scratch and nothing bent or broken on the front frame from this bump.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

OUCH! I could feel that when it hit the front of the tractor. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Ooh... Ouch! I could hear the crunch from here :pullhair: :((
I'll agree some kind of grill guard / brush guard would be a good idea - Did you ever consider lots of counterweight and a small set of forks bolted to the bucket ?
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:18 pm Ooh... Ouch! I could hear the crunch from here :pullhair: :((
I'll agree some kind of grill guard / brush guard would be a good idea - Did you ever consider lots of counterweight and a small set of forks bolted to the bucket ?
Now I have forks that bolt to the bucket, but I didn't have them then. :giggle:

@thebuildist , now, how would you modify your chin bumper to provide protection to the tractor forehead?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

RoamingGnome wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:18 pm Ooh... Ouch! I could hear the crunch from here :pullhair: :((
I have a set of forks retrofitted to my bucket of the 644. It helps to keep the load away from the tractor, but also decreases the amount I can lift. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226