Fuel Gauge - 4000 series

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Fuel Gauge - 4000 series

Post by ras101 »

So the most unfortunate thing about the AliExpress  website is that part number info is not given (that I can see anyway!). I must admit though that site has everything you could ever ask for in gas gauge technology and more. Know the depth of your tank, size (dia) of your gauge, you will find what you want... For me I followed the guidelines and ordered a 150 mm tank gauge, etc. Let you guys know if that works, etc.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

ras101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:31 pm Thanks @thebuildist for an excellent write up and pics. Been looking for a while about discarding my volt/ammeter and you my friend have convinced me. My new GT build will include a cab that as you probably know restricts getting to the gas tank and even though I could look through the holes in the rear seat support at the supposedly clear tank from the rear I want to know real time what my fuel status is without getting out of the cab. Thought about cutting another hole in the dash for a new gauge but I am not sure yet but for me a fuel gauge wins hands down every time! I can sit in my cab, see my fuel status, and get back to refill the tank before I run out and have to get the fuel can when the engine stops. Should say I do more than one driveway when I snow blow.
Went online and visited the site that thebuildist bought his but not sure I found the exact same gauge though as they have a couple of pages of different gauges but I did order one that seemed equivalent.
Looking forward to installing this on my GT rebuild and will provide 3D drawings of the parts used.
I will be following a lot of Bobs ideas here with a couple of changes , mainly the internal clamp. That I will pick slightly thicker material (possibly aluminum), and thread the bolt holes (no welding!) and also tack that in place with silicone.
This together with an electric pump and hose on my gas can will make life easy.

Ray
Long ago I suggested that everyone with those opaic tanks rig up a cover for the site area. The reason being that one of mine had a layer of white crud on it so I could not see the fuel level. Well I lightly scratched at it with my finger nail and ended up with my finger in the tank :headbash: The tractor must have spent most of its life outside as the white crud was apparently UV degraded plastic, as the rest (covered) of the tank was OK. Back then I contacted our 3 dealers, 2 did not have a tank but 1 did and said it was the last 1 he had. So I lucked out, otherwise I would have had to go with an old black tank.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ssmewing wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:53 pm I did an old-school one once. It was a simple sight glass that was clear tubing.

I replaced the 90 in the bottom of the tank and installed a tee. The one outlet went back to the fuel line for the engine. The other I connected the clear hose. The rear seat support needed some holes drilled in it and some rubber grommets to protect the hose. Once everything was done I trimmed the end of the hose to it could be tucked out of view at the top of the tank.

Are you not worried that it gets grabbed by something and ripped off?
Last edited by Eugen on Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:08 pm
ssmewing wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:53 pm I did an old-school one once. It was a simple sight glass that was clear tubing.

I replaced the 90 in the bottom of the tank and installed a tee. The one outlet went back to the fuel line for the engine. The other I connected the clear hose. The rear seat support needed some holes drilled in it and some rubber grommets to protect the hose. Once everything was done I trimmed the end of the hose to it could be tucked out of view at the top of the tank.

Are you not worry that it gets grabbed by something and ripped off?
If you feel that is a concern . do like they did in the old days where they were glass level sights and put inside of a metal guard that is bolted in place .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

ras101 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:22 pm So the most unfortunate thing about the AliExpress  website is that part number info is not given (that I can see anyway!). I must admit though that site has everything you could ever ask for in gas gauge technology and more. Know the depth of your tank, size (dia) of your gauge, you will find what you want... For me I followed the guidelines and ordered a 150 mm tank gauge, etc. Let you guys know if that works, etc.
That should work, as long as your tank is the same as mine.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"