Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Post by ras101 »

Hi Dave, well that one caught me too about 8 years ago! Spirol pins are a much heaver duty version of a spiral pin, at least that was told to me after I complained on one of the forums that I had the pin between the belt pulley and jack-shaft shear on my snow caster that I replaced with a standard spiral pin from, I think Harbor Freight, that almost immediately sheared a couple of times. I can attest to the fact there is most definitely a strength difference!

I only buy my spirol pins now from a Case/Ingersoll dealer...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:44 am Hi Dave, well that one caught me too about 8 years ago! Spirol pins are a much heaver duty version of a spiral pin, at least that was told to me after I complained on one of the forums that I had the pin between the belt pulley and jack-shaft shear on my snow caster that I replaced with a standard spiral pin from, I think Harbor Freight, that almost immediately sheared a couple of times. I can attest to the fact there is most definitely a strength difference!

I only buy my spirol pins now from a Case/Ingersoll dealer...
Double it up Ray . Put in the one you need and find another pin that you can drive tight inside that . Or see if you can buy a double spiral in that size .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So what did you paint your auger with? Looking perhaps for a graphite paint? is something that is slick and long lasting. My auger has been sand blasted and totally bald at this time (not the one on my current snow caster..
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:24 pm So what did you paint your auger with? Looking perhaps for a graphite paint? is something that is slick and long lasting. My auger has been sand blasted and totally bald at this time (not the one on my current snow caster..
Tremclad with urethane universal hardener in summer and allowed to fully cure before assembly(30 days ) . Has stood up very well .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

When I restored my caster, I too was debating which paint direction to go. I did my modifications and sanblasted everything. I then epoxy primed and initially was going to go with the graphite coating on the inside of the housing and auger. I decided not to and thought that it was going to be higher maintenance down the road. A few years ago I had a ice fishing auger I cleaned up and graphite coated and it needed several coats to cover. I've used that ice auger alot and ice clings to it often. That's the reason I decided to spray it all with oem paint. I'm happy I did. I feel the nice smooth coat of paint does great. I plan on putting a coat of polish and wax on it this summer just because I feel the ice will just continue to slide right off. I can't wait to see your uhmw liner installed. I remember having a discussion a while back about doing the same. My only concern was water becoming trapped behind the uhmw and or the glue releasing. I am wondering if a rubber paddle would be necessary once the uhmw is. I've had a few casters before settling on restoring the one I have now. I went through them all and the gap at the center throwing portion of the auger had varied alot.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I just used quality implement paint. Ugliest colour ever, a brownish black. Painted with a brush this Fall, after some wire brush cleaning. The snow does not stick to it. I meant it more as protection, as the auger and interior side of the caster were quite rusty. I'm amazed how well it did so far though. Anything you do should probably be better than I did. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
ssmewing United States of America

Post by ssmewing »

ras101 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 pm
MattA wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:31 am Would be nice if the tractor hood didn't hit the chute. I believe this is the case in my Berco but not my Snowcaster.

Chute wise, people have adapted tapered chutes to the snowcaster with good results. I can post a video another time.
Hi #Matta, Don''t think there is any way, at least not one that comes to mind to stop the hood chute clash.Willing to work with anyone that has a solution..
If you need to open the hood and not have it hit the caster chute you just have to drive the front tires up some ramps or jack it up and add blocks. Then you can lower the caster more. I know it was too easy. But, most of the time your mind is on what is under the hood.