Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Post by ras101 »

So what now? Seems I will have a number of projects starting in the spring!

Obviously AI need to dismount my caster...

I need to completely disassemble ...yeah I will be replacing my auger with one I have already sandblasted and will start by priming and painting.
I intend to paint (still not sure with slick paint but would prefer something else?
Bearings and seals are already set with standard replacements.
Housing I intend to completely sand blast and paint before adding UHMW to the housing and then the chute.

I will be automating?electrifying the rotation, etc. but not quite what you have seen before..

I want to add "wings" to the blower housing even though its a 48" so the final cut will be closer to 58 inches. The snow however must throw much closer a two stage than now with a higher yield than a two stage.. so rubber paddles, etc are part of this add.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 pm So here's the challenge guys _

I need to know how the housing extension in the caster frame (center) works and the dimensions? Is this really a useful accessory that solves a problem and everyone should have or not?
Secondly I need a rough sketch or at least dimensions of the "wings". I pulled down a pic from SalemPwr website to show a reasonable profile but if there is any member prepared to share that too and how it works for them I would like to hear that.
I did something simular this winter to mine with angle iron and piece of convieror belt . Cheap easy and has been working great . The only thing I am going to do is shorten the rubber flap a couple of inches .
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=537&start=50
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 pm So here's the challenge guys _

I need to know how the housing extension in the caster frame (center) works and the dimensions? Is this really a useful accessory that solves a problem and everyone should have or not?
Secondly I need a rough sketch or at least dimensions of the "wings". I pulled down a pic from SalemPwr website to show a reasonable profile but if there is any member prepared to share that too and how it works for them I would like to hear that.
I did something simular this winter to mine with angle iron and piece of convieror belt . Cheap easy and has been working great . The only thing I am going to do is shorten the rubber flap a couple of inches .
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=537&start=50
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

MattA wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:31 am Would be nice if the tractor hood didn't hit the chute. I believe this is the case in my Berco but not my Snowcaster.

Chute wise, people have adapted tapered chutes to the snowcaster with good results. I can post a video another time.
Hi #Matta, Don''t think there is any way, at least not one that comes to mind to stop the hood chute clash.Willing to work with anyone that has a solution..

Post by ras101 »

Gordy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:41 pm
ssmewing wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:11 pm https://photos.app.goo.gl/esKdXozj38DW1P5b6

Surplus Center sells seat motors that are the perfect speed. But, they are not outdoor use motors. They are only $15 and replacing one every few years is not that big of a deal.
A cover for the motors is relatively easy to make.

I have a couple Simplicities with factory electric chute rotators. I don't know if it is some kind of clutch or a wierd drive coupler on the motor, but it can ice up and jam. Simple fix was to cut a 1/2" slot top to bottom in a large mayo bottle with a smaller slot sideways to fit over the shaft. some zip ties and 3 sheet metal screws to hold the lid to the bottle. 3 years running and no jams with the cover on :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Gordy
Thanks for this. I am thinking a cover that fits over the motor (not many are weather proof and tend to be recycled seat motors), etc and also covers the spiral and chute connection too. Thinking that some sort of "wiper" of the spiral/cute connection might be necessary to restrict ice/snow?
Last edited by ras101 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ras101 »

ras101 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:27 pm Hi got the UHMW tape today!!! first impressions - WOW! only 6 feet guys and $32 but I am excited to use this... It's thick enough to last for a very long time but thin enough to conform to our casters (both the chute and housing. My main concern, and the reason i bought was for the housing of my J series. But this product will have no issues with the chute housing too. At 6 feet a roll my guess would be at least 3 rolls per caster so not cheap at all.

My caster rebuild will not happen this season but I want this as part of my caster upgrade.

Health dependent, I hope to accomplish this this coming warm season. Need you help guys too.
So impressed with the tape guys I bought another 2 roles but this will be a summer project.. Too old, too cold, for this time of year..
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

ras101 wrote:
MattA wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:31 am Would be nice if the tractor hood didn't hit the chute. I believe this is the case in my Berco but not my Snowcaster.

Chute wise, people have adapted tapered chutes to the snowcaster with good results. I can post a video another time.
Hi #Matta, Don''t think there is any way, at least not one that comes to mind to stop the hood chute clash.Willing to work with anyone that has a solution..
Lots of room on mine.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Post by ras101 »

Hi, saw this on a previous posting. I like what you have done but still not sure as it seems complicated to reproduce. Love for you to share more here..

Post by ras101 »

I broke my spirol pin!! Snow caster is now out of action, probably for the rest of winter too... no longer a snow bird at my age. Moved to my backup green machine and HATE IT!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:52 pm I broke my spirol pin!! Snow caster is now out of action, probably for the rest of winter too... no longer a snow bird at my age. Moved to my backup green machine and HATE IT!
What do you mean by spirol pin ? Ray
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder