Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Post by Gordy »

ras101 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:43 pm so this came up on my local Craigslist:

At $125 what would you do? I have asked the seller to state the size 38 or 48 inch. 38 would definitely be a non starter but 48 inch? Will not offer $125 might go to $100 but what are your thoughts?

I was thinking more to get a plow for my second GT. I have a 446 with snow blower already..
As mentioned, based on the length form the chute to the edge of the caster, I am also thinking 38". If there is a picture of the front, count the wraps of flighting on the auger from the center paddle to the end, The 38" will have 3 wraps and the 48" will have 4 wraps.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

On the other hand if it's a 38 inch, it would be a good candidate for 6" wings on each side.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:31 pm On the other hand if it's a 38 inch, it would be a good candidate for 6" wings on each side.
A 38" would take less hp to turn / gear it to spin faster . And like Eugen said a pair of 6" wings would have the same cut and be lighter . If the wings were hinged , could fold forward to have more clearance backing up . :hm: Just another way to think of it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So here's the challenge guys _

I need to know how the housing extension in the caster frame (center) works and the dimensions? Is this really a useful accessory that solves a problem and everyone should have or not?
Secondly I need a rough sketch or at least dimensions of the "wings". I pulled down a pic from SalemPwr website to show a reasonable profile but if there is any member prepared to share that too and how it works for them I would like to hear that.

Post by ras101 »

Hi got the UHMW tape today!!! first impressions - WOW! only 6 feet guys and $32 but I am excited to use this... It's thick enough to last for a very long time but thin enough to conform to our casters (both the chute and housing. My main concern, and the reason i bought was for the housing of my J series. But this product will have no issues with the chute housing too. At 6 feet a roll my guess would be at least 3 rolls per caster so not cheap at all.

My caster rebuild will not happen this season but I want this as part of my caster upgrade.

Health dependent, I hope to accomplish this this coming warm season. Need you help guys too.
BobAfton United States of America

Post by BobAfton »

ras101 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:47 pm So here's the challenge guys _

I need to know how the housing extension in the caster frame (center) works and the dimensions? Is this really a useful accessory that solves a problem and everyone should have or not?.
Is this what you are referring to - I'll call it an Auger Deflector? If so, then yes, it makes a huge difference by preventing snow/slush spraying forward.
Auger Deflector.jpeg

Post by ras101 »

Hi Bob!! wow... I got to tell you you are one of my long sought after friends... I have followed your projects on several sites now and glad that you have visited here to..

So to answer your question YES, that is something I have seen several of our members create. My question revolves mainly about how successful that was and why in the first place it happened. My interest is whether I should even draw this and why?

Love to also talk about your findings and projects too...

Ray

Post by ras101 »

Bob Afton, do you have any dimensional info on the deflector that you could share ? just know that I have based a lot of my cab design based upon your cab work that you shared with other groups.

Ray
BobAfton United States of America

Post by BobAfton »

I don't have any drawings or dimensions...I just made cardboard templates that I could bend for fit...it took a few pieces of cardboard. I no longer have them.
Here are a few more close up pics.
Bob
Auger Deflector s(1).jpg
Auger Deflector s(1).jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Auger Deflector s(2).jpg
Auger Deflector s(2).jpg (45.91 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Auger Deflector s(3).jpg
Auger Deflector s(3).jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Bob! knowing you found it worthwhile has given me more incentive to continue to include that in the upgrade drawings I am working on. Just want to do the upgrade once... (yeah that will happen right?). Followed your cab build on another site and that inspired my cab build current project to. Took a lot f your work and just added my flair too - hope you don't mind?

My main concentration is on auger alignment and position right now. As you can see my heading I have a J series so jack shaft and auger position are the most important. Not talking right now about maintenance but obviously that's in the future too. Any help/advice you want to give would be more than appreciated as I build my case "Winter GT" with cab.