Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Post by ras101 »

I am working on my J series snow caster. I always visualize and draw my parts first and sometimes model them too. I am working though a number of ideas but I really want your thoughts and input too.

So we probably have various series of snow caster after all some of these are now over 50 years old and I know my J series needs a serious look at and upgrade. Over the years I have thought hard about what works and what I need to see in any improvements I make. Probably like you I have made a few not by design but because perhaps due to failure. For me that was the jack shaft and main just plain wore out and I replaced the pulley and shaft with a 19 tooth etc, and the bearings etc also wore out.

So why am I asking for input? One of my next major design and draw projects is the snow caster. I would love your input to truly make this a forum project. Want to help? Tell me what bugs you with your current caster! be explicit if you can...the more detail the better and any improvements you would like to see. Not saying my new design will include everything but I will try...

Re: Lets talk snowcaster inprovements

Post by ras101 »

Here's my list so far:

I have an auger from a K series that I have sand blasted that is in much better condition than my J series that has been basically wrecked on a gravel driveway. To date I have fitted new bearings. I have new jack shaft and all bearings, etc. I am thinking:
Auger work that includes rubber paddle extensions (thinking that it must also be easy to fit and have Tractor supply webbing for that)
Alignment work to move the auger back to reduce the gap between auger and housing.
Power (electric) shoot rotation and throw. Been following a number of solutions (remember I am an electrical engineer!) Both height and rotation
Scraper bar improvements
(I assume you guys will want all the details on the electrical connections, etc)
Skids.

Not sure what else but enlighten me guys on any and all and more to the above..what did you do? what worked, what did not, etc,
What about mounting for winter use? any new ideas?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

All the up grade I did to the one for the 446 blower project tractor are working great now .
Auger as close as possible . Nice smooth shinny hard paint . Extended chute with electric controls . All new bearings . Straighten (true) auger . Quick adjust skid shoes . Round bar on cutting edge .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Would be nice if the tractor hood didn't hit the chute. I believe this is the case in my Berco but not my Snowcaster.

Chute wise, people have adapted tapered chutes to the snowcaster with good results. I can post a video another time.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:31 am Would be nice if the tractor hood didn't hit the chute. I believe this is the case in my Berco but not my Snowcaster.

Chute wise, people have adapted tapered chutes to the snowcaster with good results. I can post a video another time.
I fit that by splitting the hood nose assembly and hinging it the other way like a car . The nose can still be flipped forward to access the belt easier . What a difference that makes. Yet looks stock when closed .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Yes, opening the hood is great with the caster on.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Jancoe Yes that solves a lot of issues , including storage and cleaning .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Ray, there is a long discussion somewhere here on the forum about what different people already did as improvements, but I can't find it right now.

As I have suffered for two years with the snow caster, I can say what a difference it made for me to simply bring the snow caster to a proper working state, new bearings, new chain, new paint on the auger and inside surfaces of the caster housing. Also, good clutch and belt. Huge difference for me. Do I want to improve the performance? Yes, and will be following your ideas closely guys, I just don't feel as desperate about that now, that it works so well already. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

So I went out and searched, and searched our forum, both using the search engine here and then google search, etc. Found a post that Gordy started (thanks Gordy). That has some of what I think we need and at least a really good starting point.
https://ccigt.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=2124#p2124

reading through a lot of the posts I really want to know more about UHMW plastic and how we could line the snow caster housing, auger edge install (drgs/dimensions, etc. ). Electrification too (I have my own ideas too!) Also anyone got "wings" and could share some dimensions?. really would like to draw those up too.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:51 pm So I went out and searched, and searched our forum, both using the search engine here and then google search, etc. Found a post that Gordy started (thanks Gordy). That has some of what I think we need and at least a really good starting point.
https://ccigt.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=2124#p2124

reading through a lot of the posts I really want to know more about UHMW plastic and how we could line the snow caster housing, auger edge install (drgs/dimensions, etc. ). Electrification too (I have my own ideas too!) Also anyone got "wings" and could share some dimensions?. really would like to draw those up too.
There have been from many under a number of different discussion over time .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder