Page 1 of 1

Seat Recomendations

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:33 pm
by ras101
So guys, what are you seat recommendations?
I have two. maybe three GT's that need new seats! My fundamental requirement is comfort and if possible arm rests (I am 75 after-all!) . Like to just bolt in but know that will be hard too as the bolt spacing seems to be odd on Case so lets modify that request to minimum install changes. Must be rugged and last a life time - yeah right!.. Oh, should not be YELLOW. Should be cheap too (i'm on a pension) Anyone want to take the challenge?

Re: Seat Recomendations

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:59 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:33 pm So guys, what are you seat recommendations?
I have two. maybe three GT's that need new seats! My fundamental requirement is comfort and if possible arm rests (I am 75 after-all!) . Like to just bolt in but know that will be hard too as the bolt spacing seems to be odd on Case so lets modify that request to minimum install changes. Must be rugged and last a life time - yeah right!.. Oh, should not be YELLOW. Should be cheap too (i'm on a pension) Anyone want to take the challenge?
Ray , what I use is high back skid steer seats . They have a better vinyl and high back with more cushioning . I use adjusting tracks as well as grandson needs to drive them as well and he is shorter than me, for know at least . you won't need the tracks . Here is the last on I bought .I got it on sale . :lol:
image.png
. It is in the 446 Blower tractor . Very comfortable , helps with my back and has mounting point for arm rests , but I don't know where you would get them .

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm
by ras101
Hi, does this one fit with the bolt patterns on the Case?

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm Hi, does this one fit with the bolt patterns on the Case?
I can't remember if I had to drill new holes . It like most come with multiple bolt options to chose from . I got this one from Princess Auto :canada: You guys in the :usa: have different store with similar products Like Northern tool ect.

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm
by JSinMO
I bought this one at a local farm and home store.
2101BFE6-333B-4900-A7C3-507651EB97C4.jpeg
It was between $80 and $100. I did have to drill new holes in the the seat plate on the tractor. You probably will have to as well. In my case I wanted a lower back seat for the 648 LBH.

Take a look on Amazon. They have some high back universal seats with arm rests in the $140 to $200 range.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:40 am
by propane1
Always a problem here with seats. Having a dozen or so tractors, the old seats have cracked plastic coverings. So if you have to put it outside and it rains, we’ll there ya are with a wet you know what. Mostly mine are inside. But there are times they are out and make it difficult to find something to cover them, in case of rain. I would like to change them all to a steel seat. No covering. But I know what your thinking. Summer time not so bad, but winter time, you’d have a cold, you know what. And steel seat may not be comfortable on the, you now what. So a person could use a cushion. But remembering it could be a problem. Any way, always a problem with seats for me.
The 1951 TEA20 Ferguson tractor I have, has a steel seat. Works great. Easy to dry off if rained on. I find it comfortable to sit on.

There now, a seat ramble for today.

Have a good one members. :wave:

Noel :D

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:06 am
by Harry
Most of my GT,s are kept inside, so no problem with getting wet. A few of my seats have drain holes or I flip them up so they wouldn’t get wet. The 644 lbh I do keep outside during the summer when I use it often. I flip the seat up and put a tarp over it to keep it dry. I don’t think I would like the seats with arm rests. For me I think they would get in the way. :peace: Harry

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:22 am
by RoamingGnome
If you a getting an economy seat - have a close look at it before you buy - I almost bought a "universal" seat from Princess Auto (aka Harbor freight for friends stateside) I found that the black vinyl was already separating from the foam underneath - we opened 3 boxes and all had big air bubbles somewhere on the cushion... I take a heavy duty garbage bag when ever I have to sit on the seat of my big Case backhoe...

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:41 am
by Eugen
Good and timely discussion for me too. Two of my tractors are missing seats, but as @RoamingGnome says, I'm reluctant to get one of the "universal" ones from fear the vinyl isn't resistant. I know for a fact that resistant vinyl exists as it is used for boat seats. My tractors stay mostly outside so the seat must be strong and especially UV resistant, as UV is a killer.

I'm even considering getting boat seat vinyl to cover the ripped seats myself.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:04 am
by JSinMO
@Eugen your right UV is a killer for sure. The seat in my picture above is all rubber with a mounting plate molded in. No vinyl at all. Will it hold up better? I don’t know I’m hoping so. Either way a tarp is probably worth considering for equipment that lives out side. I’d much rather sacrifice a cheap tarp to the weather and UV.
Don’t you love it when a vinyl seat looks great and you sit down and just hear crunching as the vinyl crumbles to dust! :109:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:12 am
by Gordy
All of my outdoor stored tractors have tarps over them. I use the green real canvas tarps, they seem expensive at $24-28 for a 6'x8' size, but some are 6 & 8 years old and still in good shape.

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:29 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:41 am Good and timely discussion for me too. Two of my tractors are missing seats, but as @RoamingGnome says, I'm reluctant to get one of the "universal" ones from fear the vinyl isn't resistant. I know for a fact that resistant vinyl exists as it is used for boat seats. My tractors stay mostly outside so the seat must be strong and especially UV resistant, as UV is a killer.

I'm even considering getting boat seat vinyl to cover the ripped seats myself.
@Eugen I did that for the one in Frankie . I was a cheaper high back that cracked after the first year , but the foam is still good . I did that about 5 years ago and still good . What heaps for summer is UV protectant spray for vinyl used on RVs like tent trailers . If you seat pan is still good , boat seat repair places can recover them up nice if you want something fancy .

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm
by keith
Seen some seats patched with gorilla tape that don't look to bad. They cut the tape larger than the tear and lapped the tape about a 1/4" to cover as needed, heat the tape with a heat gun carefully, then repeated covering the first layer with longer strips again hitting it with heat again and rubbing it with a cloth with some pressure. Apparently holds up pretty good.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:02 pm
by RoamingGnome
JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm I bought this one at a local farm and home store.
@JSinMO I think my old backhoe seat probably started life looking like yours - When I bought the tractor it had been sitting outside, in an orchard for 30+ yrs. With no tarp or protection from the sun the black rubber has broken down into a sort of super soft absorbent sponge - it will still soak your pants days after it has rained - :cuss:
seat.jpg
The nice cushion of green moss growing on it gives extra padding and adds some interesting colour to the seat of your pants! - hence always sitting on a garbage bag - :rofl:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm
by Eugen
@JSinMO I have no experience with rubber only seats, but I know that good vinyl cover can last many years, as I've seen that with boats.

This tractor seat is my favourite now. No idea where it came from, but it's outside all the time and no cover. No cracks.

@RoamingGnome lol I love the moss, very natural padding. :D

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:49 pm
by JSinMO
Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm @JSinMO I have no experience with rubber only seats, but I know that good vinyl cover can last many years, as I've seen that with boats.

This tractor seat is my favourite now. No idea where it came from, but it's outside all the time and no cover. No cracks.

@RoamingGnome lol I love the moss, very natural padding. :D
This is the first rubber only one I have used so we’ll see what happens, but it does look just like the one on @RoamingGnome tractor so it will probably wind up just like his although the moss is a nice touch! :rofl:
We may have to figure out where yours came from!

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm
by propane1
RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:02 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm I bought this one at a local farm and home store.
@JSinMO I think my old backhoe seat probably started life looking like yours - When I bought the tractor it had been sitting outside, in an orchard for 30+ yrs. With no tarp or protection from the sun the black rubber has broken down into a sort of super soft absorbent sponge - it will still soak your pants days after it has rained - :cuss:

seat.jpg

The nice cushion of green moss growing on it gives extra padding and adds some interesting colour to the seat of your pants! - hence always sitting on a garbage bag - :rofl:

Jumpins, it’s turning into a John Deere. !!!!!!!
:giggle: :giggle: :rofl: :pullhair:

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
by JSinMO
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm

seat.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: I guess that’s what happens when you leave a Case sit out for 30 years, it disintegrates into a JD! :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:29 am
by DavidBarkey
JSinMO wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm

seat.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: I guess that’s what happens when you leave a Case sit out for 30 years, it disintegrates into a JD! :rofl: :rofl:
:O :109: :fight: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:13 pm
by ras101
keith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm Seen some seats patched with gorilla tape that don't look to bad. They cut the tape larger than the tear and lapped the tape about a 1/4" to cover as needed, heat the tape with a heat gun carefully, then repeated covering the first layer with longer strips again hitting it with heat again and rubbing it with a cloth with some pressure. Apparently holds up pretty good.
Done that too my friend - gorilla tape works well! Having a GT that sits outside in the heat and snow in WNY the seat covering I am sure takes a beating. Seems no matter what I buy the covering does not last more than one season.. Gorilla tape is my go too fix..

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:11 am
by TLD89
I have used gorilla tape also you might want to round the edges of the tape when cutting. The only problem is after a while the tape when hot slides around it took about 2 years to start. Remove old tape clean the seat good and reapply new tape.

keith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm Seen some seats patched with gorilla tape that don't look to bad. They cut the tape larger than the tear and lapped the tape about a 1/4" to cover as needed, heat the tape with a heat gun carefully, then repeated covering the first layer with longer strips again hitting it with heat again and rubbing it with a cloth with some pressure. Apparently holds up pretty good.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:34 am
by Eugen
I got to get myself some of that tape then, seeing so many recommendations. One of my seats has quiet a few cracks. :|

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:05 pm
by Jancoe
I bought this seat 3 years ago and been outside sitting in the sun. It's a michigan style. Model A-TMS444BL. Its been a great seat and plan to get more for my others. I paid $110. Comes with adjustable sliders and has a universal seat mount pattern.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 am
by Eugen
It looks like a decent seat Evan, and it's still around $110 there. I'd really consider getting one if it was available here.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am
by propane1
So what’s he difference between gorilla tape and duct tape. ?

Noel :hm:

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:38 am
by Eugen
propane1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am So what’s he difference between gorilla tape and duct tape. ?

Gorilla is not duck and duck is not gorilla! :rofl:

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:55 am
by JSinMO
propane1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am So what’s he difference between gorilla tape and duct tape. ?

With gorilla tape you don’t get feathers all over the place like you do with duck tape! :D

Actually I think it has better backing and a little better adhesive. And it’s already black to match the seat!

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:38 pm
by Eugen
Before finding out about the gorilla tape, I've been thinking of getting some of that "leather repair" self-adhesive material that I keep getting ads about on facebook. Some have a lot of good reviews. What I like about those is the large size, was thinking of covering the entire area of the seat. It just seems too miraculous. :hm:

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:48 pm
by propane1
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:38 pm Before finding out about the gorilla tape, I've been thinking of getting some of that "leather repair" self-adhesive material that I keep getting ads about on facebook. Some have a lot of good reviews. What I like about those is the large size, was thinking of covering the entire area of the seat. It just seems too miraculous. :hm:
I seen that too Eugen. And wonder if it would work. But, I always think to my self about those kind of adds,
If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Noel

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:55 pm
by propane1
Eugen and Jeff are real comedians, try to ask a question to get real answers and that’s what ya get. Thanks fellas. The stuff I never knew.

Noel

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:58 pm
by Eugen
The big problem I find is the molded seat in an irregular shape, meaning it has grooves and such. If it was a straight cushion that would be quite easy to just get a piece of good quality marine vinyl and wrap it around, staple, and bob's your uncle. I just don't trust glue much.

In fact, just this discussion made me decide to look for some UV resistant tough marine vinyl and fix my seats. :inacall: :geek: :)

Edit: had a look on the local market, and what do you know. Someone's selling this fabric below for $15 a yard, 54 inch wide. Seems like good quality, the only problem is on the North-East side of Toronto. I don't want to drive there just for this. If it was just a little closer I'd get some. :(
Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 14.06.52.png
Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 14.06.24.png

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:19 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:58 pm The big problem I find is the molded seat in an irregular shape, meaning it has grooves and such. If it was a straight cushion that would be quite easy to just get a piece of good quality marine vinyl and wrap it around, staple, and bob's your uncle. I just don't trust glue much.

In fact, just this discussion made me decide to look for some UV resistant tough marine vinyl and fix my seats. :inacall: :geek: :)

Edit: had a look on the local market, and what do you know. Someone's selling this fabric below for $15 a yard, 54 inch wide. Seems like good quality, the only problem is on the North-East side of Toronto. I don't want to drive there just for this. If it was just a little closer I'd get some. :(

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 14.06.52.png

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 14.06.24.png
Try Len's Mill in Barrie just off 364 St Vincent St. at the 400 . Thats my go to for marine vinyl ect.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:32 pm
by JSinMO
propane1 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:55 pm Eugen and Jeff are real comedians, try to ask a question to get real answers and that’s what ya get. Thanks fellas. The stuff I never knew.

Noel
Noel,
I have taken this to heart. If I insulted you with my really dumb joke, please know it wasn’t intentional. I respect you and your opinion, and if that is the case I certainly hope you will accept my apology.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:34 pm
by Jancoe
If you need to repair/seal or glue stuff back together, this is the stuff to use. Would.work really good on vinyl. I always have a bottle of it around. There is so many uses. I use it mostly on bandaid's mostly. Lol when you have a cut on your finger and the bandaid always peels off, this stuff I seal the end of it and the bandaid stays put. I've mended 2 pieces of vinyl and fabrics together.
Patched rips. Good stuff.

Tear Mender - Repairing Clothing Since 1932 https://www.tearmender.com/[IMG]https:/ ... 82261b.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:59 pm
by DavidBarkey
We all are jokesters at times . It keeps it light and enjoyable . There are cases when we need to ask a real question but there is a joke there to be had . In that case , I suggest we Just say " in all seriousness " ........ Get answer you are looking for .
Gorilla Tape is a higher quality than that of the Duct we have now . The original Duct tape was very robust and was use in Nascar and dubbed 200 mph Tape .

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:28 pm
by Eugen
Oh I just saw this, I'm really sorry Noel, sometimes I make a joke at the wrong time. :( in fact I also thought you were joking, as I had no idea about the difference in those tapes. I'll be more careful.

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:33 pm
by keith
Red Green said "the difference between a handyman and a professional handyman is that the professional handyman doesn't get as many wrinkles in his duct tape" Remember....if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.