Seat Recomendations

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: Seat Recomendations

Post by Gordy »

All of my outdoor stored tractors have tarps over them. I use the green real canvas tarps, they seem expensive at $24-28 for a 6'x8' size, but some are 6 & 8 years old and still in good shape.

:cheers:
Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:41 am Good and timely discussion for me too. Two of my tractors are missing seats, but as @RoamingGnome says, I'm reluctant to get one of the "universal" ones from fear the vinyl isn't resistant. I know for a fact that resistant vinyl exists as it is used for boat seats. My tractors stay mostly outside so the seat must be strong and especially UV resistant, as UV is a killer.

I'm even considering getting boat seat vinyl to cover the ripped seats myself.
@Eugen I did that for the one in Frankie . I was a cheaper high back that cracked after the first year , but the foam is still good . I did that about 5 years ago and still good . What heaps for summer is UV protectant spray for vinyl used on RVs like tent trailers . If you seat pan is still good , boat seat repair places can recover them up nice if you want something fancy .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Seen some seats patched with gorilla tape that don't look to bad. They cut the tape larger than the tear and lapped the tape about a 1/4" to cover as needed, heat the tape with a heat gun carefully, then repeated covering the first layer with longer strips again hitting it with heat again and rubbing it with a cloth with some pressure. Apparently holds up pretty good.
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm I bought this one at a local farm and home store.
2101BFE6-333B-4900-A7C3-507651EB97C4.jpeg
@JSinMO I think my old backhoe seat probably started life looking like yours - When I bought the tractor it had been sitting outside, in an orchard for 30+ yrs. With no tarp or protection from the sun the black rubber has broken down into a sort of super soft absorbent sponge - it will still soak your pants days after it has rained - :cuss:
seat.jpg
The nice cushion of green moss growing on it gives extra padding and adds some interesting colour to the seat of your pants! - hence always sitting on a garbage bag - :rofl:
Last edited by RoamingGnome on Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@JSinMO I have no experience with rubber only seats, but I know that good vinyl cover can last many years, as I've seen that with boats.

This tractor seat is my favourite now. No idea where it came from, but it's outside all the time and no cover. No cracks.

@RoamingGnome lol I love the moss, very natural padding. :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm @JSinMO I have no experience with rubber only seats, but I know that good vinyl cover can last many years, as I've seen that with boats.

This tractor seat is my favourite now. No idea where it came from, but it's outside all the time and no cover. No cracks.

@RoamingGnome lol I love the moss, very natural padding. :D
This is the first rubber only one I have used so we’ll see what happens, but it does look just like the one on @RoamingGnome tractor so it will probably wind up just like his although the moss is a nice touch! :rofl:
We may have to figure out where yours came from!
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

RoamingGnome wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:02 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:13 pm I bought this one at a local farm and home store.
@JSinMO I think my old backhoe seat probably started life looking like yours - When I bought the tractor it had been sitting outside, in an orchard for 30+ yrs. With no tarp or protection from the sun the black rubber has broken down into a sort of super soft absorbent sponge - it will still soak your pants days after it has rained - :cuss:

seat.jpg

The nice cushion of green moss growing on it gives extra padding and adds some interesting colour to the seat of your pants! - hence always sitting on a garbage bag - :rofl:

Jumpins, it’s turning into a John Deere. !!!!!!!
:giggle: :giggle: :rofl: :pullhair:

Noel :D
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm

seat.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: I guess that’s what happens when you leave a Case sit out for 30 years, it disintegrates into a JD! :rofl: :rofl:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm
propane1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:10 pm

seat.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: I guess that’s what happens when you leave a Case sit out for 30 years, it disintegrates into a JD! :rofl: :rofl:
:O :109: :fight: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

keith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm Seen some seats patched with gorilla tape that don't look to bad. They cut the tape larger than the tear and lapped the tape about a 1/4" to cover as needed, heat the tape with a heat gun carefully, then repeated covering the first layer with longer strips again hitting it with heat again and rubbing it with a cloth with some pressure. Apparently holds up pretty good.
Done that too my friend - gorilla tape works well! Having a GT that sits outside in the heat and snow in WNY the seat covering I am sure takes a beating. Seems no matter what I buy the covering does not last more than one season.. Gorilla tape is my go too fix..