Gas cap with gauge

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: Gas cap with gauge

Post by ras101 »

Always thought that our GT's should have a gas gauge! Would love for that to be part of the dash board too. I like the thread that has details on at least a gas cap but is there anyone out there looking for a dash board gas gauge?
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

It was in the original post of this thread:

I've ordered, but not yet installed, a fuel gauge and sender for my 4020 with a white plastic tank. I ordered the 150mm length with a black-faced gauge. It was 23.62 US plus tax.
2023-02-15 05_39_22-52mm Fuel Level Gauge With Fuel Level Sensor 100mm 125mm 150mm 200mm 250mm 400mm.png
I'll update the thread once I get it installed, but it should be pretty straightforward:
Drain the tank, drill a hole, about 1.25" diameter for the sender to slide through, bolt the sender and its gasket in place (that could be tricky due to limited access) and then wire everything up.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

thebuildist wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:47 am It was in the original post of this thread:

I've ordered, but not yet installed, a fuel gauge and sender for my 4020 with a white plastic tank. I ordered the 150mm length with a black-faced gauge. It was 23.62 US plus tax.

2023-02-15 05_39_22-52mm Fuel Level Gauge With Fuel Level Sensor 100mm 125mm 150mm 200mm 250mm 400mm.png

I'll update the thread once I get it installed, but it should be pretty straightforward:
Drain the tank, drill a hole, about 1.25" diameter for the sender to slide through, bolt the sender and its gasket in place (that could be tricky due to limited access) and then wire everything up.

Bob
Bob , I put in a sending unit and gauge in Frankie a number of years ago. Universal for a boat 12v adjustable height. Swing arm type . He has a plastic tank as well . I can tell you that you can not get a good seal by just bolting the unit to the plastic .It deforms to much . I ended up making a split ring I could cork screw through the hole and use a couple of counter sunk screws to hold in place while bolting the unit down . The nuts welded to the back of the ring sandwiched the plastic and gasket well enough then to get a good seal . I think a tin tank could have one soldered in place on top to help with the round shape .
This the one I used , It works ok . I want to try the style you have the next time .
image.png
image.png
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by thebuildist »

Good points. I had actually thought about making an internal flange with drilled and tapped holes and then cut that in half into two arcs, and then fish those through the hole in the tank so that I can put screws through the sender and the tank wall and into those holes.

But now that you bring this up I realize I'd be better off to put permanent studs sticking up out of those internal flanges. And fish those studded flanges through the gas cap hole so that the studs are sticking up ready to bolt the sending unit down over them.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion!

Post by ras101 »

Very intrigued by this post!! I really like the idea of adding a gas gauge. I know that the tank sensor though is the least of my worries too. For me it has always been where to locate the gauge! I know that sounds strange but the dash on our GT's has limited space. For me, I have a 1987 444 plastic dash with the normal switches, etc that is the same as the 4 digit tractors. Do I need to forgo something? or where do we fit the new gauge? Drawings would help..

Post by thebuildist »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:07 pm Very intrigued by this post!! I really like the idea of adding a gas gauge. I know that the tank sensor though is the least of my worries too. For me it has always been where to locate the gauge! I know that sounds strange but the dash on our GT's has limited space. For me, I have a 1987 444 plastic dash with the normal switches, etc that is the same as the 4 digit tractors. Do I need to forgo something? or where do we fit the new gauge? Drawings would help..
The hourmeter on my 4020 is dead, so I intend to just replace the hourmeter with the fuel gauge.

Others have done a nice job of adding an "inverted scoop" to their dashboard, which gives them a new flat face to add ( I think it was 3 ) extra gauges.

Bob

Post by ras101 »

Like you "thebuildis" my hour meter is less than useful. Granted it still works though but just might replace it with a gas gauge.. Thanks
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

For me I usually check the tank before I use a machine, when I check the oil. Looking down the hole with a led light works for me. I certainly wouldn’t want to put a gauge on every GT. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226

Post by ras101 »

so I really like the gas gauge idea... I have a 1987 444with plastic dash and hour meter that frankly I will never use (still building). Do I change course here and just change up and fit a gas gauge that might be more useful or stick with the tried and true Ingersoll requirement of a /volt/ammeter?
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

ras101 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:54 pm so I really like the gas gauge idea... I have a 1987 444with plastic dash and hour meter that frankly I will never use (still building). Do I change course here and just change up and fit a gas gauge that might be more useful or stick with the tried and true Ingersoll requirement of a /volt/ammeter?
I think it would come down to preference. How often do you monitor the volt/ amp gauge? Personally I rarely give it more than a glance unless I think I’m having an electrical issue, in which case a volt/ohm meter from the shop is just as good. If I was considering this conversation the amp gauge would go and the fuel gauge would take its place, but that’s just me!