Onan engine

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
keith Canada

Re: Onan engine

Post by keith »

Dave, with a p220 in Frankie what modifications were required for attachments to work?
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

The little bolts had lock washers on them but they still backed off. I have one Onan engine that I picked up that had a screen over the top of the carb. Probably something a PO put on. Dave maybe locktite studs with nylock nuts. I’m open to others ideas on this one. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:17 am Dave, with a p220 in Frankie what modifications were required for attachments to work?
The P220 is the same basic block as the 16 and 18 hp and has either a straight crank shaft or tapered as in the genny engines . The clutch mounted to the fly wheel like normal . Depending what the genny engine came out the intake may need to be changed . As for the crank , the P220 has a modified lovejoy connector to fit and hold on the the tapered shaft. The 446 blower tractor has all external parts from the dead BM43 and the crank shaft was tuned straight in the lathe and a key way cut in the mill to suit a normal lovejoy connector to run the pump. As for the the tractor it has had so many modification , to many to list .
Loader off
Loader off
Attachments
loader on flexing his muckles
loader on flexing his muckles
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Dave, the closer I look I see lots of changes you made. What is the canister on the right side for?
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

I have wondered how often this has happened. Doesn't seem like great idea putting small bolts next to the throat of the carburetor. I’m using lock washers and blue locktite on both of mine, but Dave’s idea of studs and safety wire is a good one. I suppose you could run the safety wire through all three studs, or different bolts if you could find some with a big enough head to drill them. Then they couldn’t back off.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

JSinMO wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:36 am or different bolts if you could find some with a big enough head to drill them. Then they couldn’t back off.
Years ago I worked as a welder and had access to TIG welders, I welded 1/4" nuts to the heads of the screws then drilled the nuts for safety wire. That was for someone else that had this problem a few times.

:cheers:
Gordy
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:02 am Dave, the closer I look I see lots of changes you made. What is the canister on the right side for?
If you are talking about that white thing hanging between the front of the cab and the front tire, it is a oil filter plumbed into the return line for the hydraulics.

:cheers:
Gordy
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Thanks Gordy that's what I was asking. :cheers: The first time I opened the air cleaner top' I thought those little parts might find their way down and cause problems for someone.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:02 am Dave, the closer I look I see lots of changes you made. What is the canister on the right side for?
Gordy is correct . Now you see why he is called Frankenstein, or Frankie for shot because he can't spell good . Strong like bull , smart like tractor. :giggle:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
keith Canada

Post by keith »

I'm not very good at spelling, grammar, punctuation or pronounstication. Or keyboarding or snowboarding or......the list goes on.
It is fun and entertaining here.
I don't mean to keep changing the topic on everyone but if I was to find a p220 would it work in my 1979 446? Am I correct in saying the starter is on the righthand side and if so would it interfere with a snow caster or plow blade?

I