OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by ras101 »

Have a J series snow blower for many years now on my 1978 446. Changed all the bearings, jack shaft to the 19 tooth, and pulleys over the years and always use Case belts too (ONLY ONES TO USE!) . So whats my problem you may ask? the chute rotation! even though I spend every summer taking apart and greasing the chute it still sticks, still distorts the turn rod, etc. Eventually I just give up and point the chute directly ahead (it actually throws better in that position) and finish the season. Fortunately I live on a turning circle so casting snow into the center of the circle works well for me anyway. Still like to fix 5the chute rotation though.. This year my son took a hammer to the chute hold downs to reduce the play. Is this just wear in the chute teeth or is there a fix. Any ideas?
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:06 pm Have a J series snow blower for many years now on my 1978 446. Changed all the bearings, jack shaft to the 19 tooth, and pulleys over the years and always use Case belts too (ONLY ONES TO USE!) . So whats my problem you may ask? the chute rotation! even though I spend every summer taking apart and greasing the chute it still sticks, still distorts the turn rod, etc. Eventually I just give up and point the chute directly ahead (it actually throws better in that position) and finish the season. Fortunately I live on a turning circle so casting snow into the center of the circle works well for me anyway. Still like to fix 5the chute rotation though.. This year my son took a hammer to the chute hold downs to reduce the play. Is this just wear in the chute teeth or is there a fix. Any ideas?
I have found on many different snow throwers that the coils is not the correct pitch and causes binding . Can you up load a picture of the screw coil and the chute how they mesh .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Hi Dave I will take a pic tomorrow and post. You my friend have hit the nail on the head! I have thought for years that the coil and pitch were wrong. I want to eventually change the whole dynamic to motor driven but reluctant right now because of the chute not functioning properly. Did Case/Ingersoll make a mistake and the pitches are wrong?
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:19 pm Hi Dave I will take a pic tomorrow and post. You my friend have hit the nail on the head! I have thought for years that the coil and pitch were wrong. I want to eventually change the whole dynamic to motor driven but reluctant right now because of the chute not functioning properly. Did Case/Ingersoll make a mistake and the pitches are wrong?
I have seen it on many breads as well as Case. I beleave it has to do with the way that type is manufactured . Not everyone comes out just right . 2 out of every 10 I see that style is not right . Some only slightly out others hardly work at all .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Dave, I would put mine in "hardly work at all" category. Thank you for basically confirming my suspicion. I will post pics tomorrow. As I want to move to an electronic chute (I have already bought a new spiral, etc) I just want to fix this..Ray
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

My newer AHSB48 is "ok". It works most of the time but sometimes binds, part of this is the spiral, the rest of the time it's ice. I've been on the fence whether to go electric or not, mainly because of the binding at times. But seeings how I haven't grown a third arm yet it would be handy.
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Mine was the same, it would always bind up. I tried to fix it and always came up-short. I finally last year threw in the towel and replaced the hand crank with an electric DC motor. It took me quite awhile Nanking a mount for the motor wiring in a momentary toggle switch and then fine tuning it so it worked properly. Then after success I purchased a linear actuator for the chute deflector. Again it took awhile to fine tune it and now they both work great. You got out and play in the snow throwing it where ever you want with a flip of a toggle switch. My neighbor had an old tractor windshield that he offered me last summer. It was all rusted up so I told him no thank you, but I will grab the electric windshield motor. So that is the next project for the 446 snow tractor. In the meantime the 226 says, when is it my turn, work on me. lOL :peace: :peace: :peace:
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I have also fought with a few of these :smash: By the time I got them working, I often thought it would have been easier to convert it to the Simplicity style, a tube instead of the spiral with cable wound around the tube and chute with a anchor bolt on the side of the chute and another at the center of the tube.

SAM_0992.JPG
The only binding here is with ice buildup in the overlapping joint between the housing and chute. A propane torch kept in the cab fixes that fairly quickly.

:cheers:
Gordy
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ice seems to be the trouble with my two throwers. And one is worse than the other. Both same thrower that I can see.

Noel
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

propane1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:24 am Ice seems to be the trouble with my two throwers. And one is worse than the other. Both same thrower that I can see.

Noel
There seems to be no way to get away from that. I tried a thick layer of winter grease in the joint. it worked really good for a while, BUT collected enough sand dirt and debris to be a problem it self. Occasional removal of the chute and wire brushing both surfaces followed by a couple coats of graphite paint seems to work the best for me. The maintenance of keeping it clean and smooth is about the best you can do.

I have given it some thought over the years and consider the spiral to be somewhat flimsy, especially when the chute is frozen and someone tries to force it to turn by really leaning into the crank and starts to bend the spiral out of shape.

:cheers:
Gordy