OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Harry United States of America

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by Harry »

I know what everyone is saying about the chute not turning freely. But as I converted to an electric chute rotator I’ve never had a problem with it binding up. No lubrication at all and it just simply turns freely with the flip of a switch.
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

I agree. The electric motor definitely helps. I've noticed on the casters I've had, if I remove the 3 chute mounting brackets and squeeze them tighter and close the gap it helps alot. Keeps the chute from slightly wobbling around and jambing up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Jancoe wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:28 pm I've noticed on the casters I've had, if I remove the 3 chute mounting brackets and squeeze them tighter and close the gap it helps alot. Keeps the chute from slightly wobbling around and jambing up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I believe that there should be more of those chute mounting brackets to help from jamming up. Just a thought. Squeezing them tighter does help.

Noel
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

I recall people also replacing the handle flex joint with a u-joint. Others added a locking collar to the handle just above the handle support bracket. I think it helped keep the handles flex joint from binding.
Ingersoll 4016
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

OK, so my really question is this...it seems that we as a Case community have have the same or very similar issues with our snow casters yet my JD172 (a 1990 model) does not exhibit the same issues (believe me it has others) . Is it the length of the shaft? the angle to the worm? the worm drive itself?. Looking to the team to help fix our mutual issue here. Yeah I will be moving to an electric chute control for sure. What I don't want is to take the problem with me..
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@ras101 need to see it .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Seabee United States of America

Post by Seabee »

Yeh! Both of mine have been bound up for years. I usually try to clean them prior to winter and spray silicone grease on them. That seems help till I turn them on!

Bill
Bill Moyer
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Seabee wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:45 pm Yeh! Both of mine have been bound up for years. I usually try to clean them prior to winter and spray silicone grease on them. That seems help till I turn them on!

Bill
Like I said earlier, if the chute was frozen and the operator put a lot of force on the crank to try and turn the chute the spiral will bend. And it is a royal PITA to get it bent back and not binding as you turn the handle.

:cheers:
Gordy
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Just used my snow thrower in damp snow. Never stuck while adjusting the chute and never plugged up. No problem with the stuff the highway snow plow put in end of driveway either. Every thing worked great. Other than it doesn’t throw snow very far. Be nice to have another ten feet distance.

Noel
Attachments
6FDFDB7A-A928-46BE-9B25-41FF93D5AC51.jpeg
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

propane1 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:12 pm Just used my snow thrower in damp snow. Never stuck while adjusting the chute and never plugged up. No problem with the stuff the highway snow plow put in end of driveway either. Every thing worked great. Other than it doesn’t throw snow very far. Be nice to have another ten feet distance.

Noel
My chute turning mechanism also seems fine. No idea why, but it doesn't get stuck much.

If you want to throw further get the turbo version Noel! :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: