OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by ras101 »

So Guys, If you have been reading this thread from the beginning you will know I "lost my glasses" while snow blowing. Well guess what I FOUND THEM!!! not at all where I expected but in my car... I have a place for glasses and sun glasses in my overhead console that I rarely use and only for my clip-on sun glasses. Well Webster had a 60+ degree day on Wednesday and the sun was unbelievable so I reached for my clip on's.. Guess what my glasses fell out!! I must be loosing it guys...
Last edited by ras101 on Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Another pet peeve of mine with the J series (the only ones I have experience with) is the lack of chain adjustment. I know that members have rectified that with moving the drive sprocket back, etc. For me, I* have already replaced the drive shaft and pulleys and the 19T sprockets etc. Anyone draw up their solution of moving the drive shaft/sprocket rearward? Love to find drawings/close up photos of at least. Spring is usually my design and build time. Want to work with me? Whatever design we end up with I will draw up on Fusion 360 to share..
That's something I need to do as well, just not sure which way to go. @DavidBarkey has a system that does not move the rear sprocket, rather pushes the chain in with a hard plastic thingy to tension it.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm So Guys, If you have been reading this thread from the beginning you will know I "lost my glasses" while snow blowing. Well guess what I FOUND THEM!!! not at all where I expected but in my car... I have a place for glasses and sun glasses in my overhead console that I really use and only for my clip-on sun glasses. Well Webster had a 60+ degree day on Wednesday and the sun was unbelievable so I reached for my clip on's.. Guess what my glasses fell out!! I must be loosing it guys...
the good news is that you did not find them in multiple pieces. :)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E

Post by ras101 »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm
ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Another pet peeve of mine with the J series (the only ones I have experience with) is the lack of chain adjustment. I know that members have rectified that with moving the drive sprocket back, etc. For me, I* have already replaced the drive shaft and pulleys and the 19T sprockets etc. Anyone draw up their solution of moving the drive shaft/sprocket rearward? Love to find drawings/close up photos of at least. Spring is usually my design and build time. Want to work with me? Whatever design we end up with I will draw up on Fusion 360 to share..
That's something I need to do as well, just not sure which way to go. @DavidBarkey has a system that does not move the rear sprocket, rather pushes the chain in with a hard plastic thingy to tension it.
Perhaps we can get Dave to share his ideas? even if there are no drawings, perhaps a few pics? What about it Dave?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:52 pm
Perhaps we can get Dave to share his ideas? even if there are no drawings, perhaps a few pics? What about it Dave?

He already did that. Have a look
https://ccigt.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t= ... uhmw#p5824
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm So Guys, If you have been reading this thread from the beginning you will know I "lost my glasses" while snow blowing. Well guess what I FOUND THEM!!! not at all where I expected but in my car... I have a place for glasses and sun glasses in my overhead console that I rarely use and only for my clip-on sun glasses. Well Webster had a 60+ degree day on Wednesday and the sun was unbelievable so I reached for my clip on's.. Guess what my glasses fell out!! I must be loosing it guys...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I am not laughing at you but rather with you as do things like that all the time and I am a little younger than you . I go to the tool box and stand there like a deer caught in the headlights because I can't remember what it is I forgot to remember what I was after at least 6 times a day . More Tea gets heated up in the microwave multiple times and then drank cold because I forgot it again and again . The best part is waking up to a new woman in my bed every morning . The :wife: keeps saying I am the same one for all these years .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:26 pm The best part is waking up to a new woman in my bed every morning . The :wife: keeps saying I am the same one for all these years .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: good one Mr Dave!!!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm
So far so good . It has been working as planned .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

So Dave what do you recommend? it seems like there are two approaches to the auger problem. My aim here guys is to try to design and draw a solution to our J series blowers that keeps the auger close and permits maximum snow throw. Seen a few pics other solutions but also interested in yours too...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:38 pm So Dave what do you recommend? it seems like there are two approaches to the auger problem. My aim here guys is to try to design and draw a solution to our J series blowers that keeps the auger close and permits maximum snow throw. Seen a few pics other solutions but also interested in yours too...
I , after straightening the auger and cleaning up all the edges to make as true as possible . Index it to as close as it would go . I have a stock of UHMW plastic from a factory refit . So I chose to do the guide method to take up the slack . For others a idler sprocket on top may be the way to go. I personally am not a fan of swinging the shaft as it changes the contact angle of the belt and the chain . I know the angle change is slight do to the length of the shaft . Still not a fan .

My 2 cents worth . You may keep the change .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder