OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
ras101 United States of America

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by ras101 »

Normally would but my old glasses were missing the whole nose pad and arm on one side and I told the optician to dump them!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:40 pm Normally would but my old glasses were missing the whole nose pad and arm on one side and I told the optician to dump them!
That sucks , Well at least it just your glasses and not your eye . Much easier to replace .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Thanks Dave. Managed to order a new set online for $83 !!! I guess it pays to shop around :)

Post by ras101 »

So a few days ago I ordered a poly strip to place my scraper bar on my snow caster and this arrived today. The one I bought was from Ebay and is really just a 54 inch by 2 inch length of Poly with no holes or anything else. I will obviously cut this to length soon and drill the holes for the J46 soon..

Oh why not just buy a new metal scraper bar? Well my driveway is Blacktop in reasonable condition. My neighbor on the other hand is basically dirt (50 + driveway with no maintenance. Every time I put the caster down on their drive I destroyed a little more of what they had left of their blacktop. Thought a poly scraper might work better.
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

I like many caster owners had a problem with getting the chute cranking mechanism to work smoothly. I tried to adjust it many times to no avail. After seeing many members motorized theirs, I was sold on their idea. It took awhile to fabricate, install and then fine tune. When it was all said and done it has worked flawlessly without messing around anymore with the spiral drive. It certainly motivated me to also install a linear actuator to control the chute deflector. It made me a Happy Harry. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

So I was messing around with my chute a few weeks ago and jambed the motor up. I stripped the plastic gear in the motor assy. My own fault. Since then, I've removed it to try some plastic weld of some sort on the gear. But since the electric motor is removed my chute will spin left to right extremely easily by hand with one finger. Back when i restored the caster I took the 3 mounting tabs and worked on them. Closed the gap so they are very closed up to the ring and i mean closed. I filed them flat and smooth. I also reworked the top of the chute opening. Meaning I made sure the round hole was round and tight to the chute ring. Hammered the chute hole opening out to stretch the metal to the chute ring so it cant bounce around. The ring stays true to the chute opening and not out of round(off centered) as it spins left to right. Then I Installed the tabs all partially loose and slowly snugged them up while continuing to rotate the chute. It works like a charm now. With that said I almost threw in the towel in the begining on them as I had and currently have a few ideas using uhmw blocks instead of the 3 metal mounts. Think rectangular block with a saw blade cut into it for the chute ring to rest in and then the block bolted to the existing mounting holes. I have a few ideas I thought of and sketched on a piece of paper. I'll have to look for it now.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:36 pm So I was messing around with my chute a few weeks ago and jambed the motor up. I stripped the plastic gear in the motor assy. My own fault. Since then, I've removed it to try some plastic weld of some sort on the gear. But since the electric motor is removed my chute will spin left to right extremely easily by hand with one finger. Back when i restored the caster I took the 3 mounting tabs and worked on them. Closed the gap so they are very closed up to the ring and i mean closed. I filed them flat and smooth. I also reworked the top of the chute opening. Meaning I made sure the round hole was round and tight to the chute ring. Hammered the chute hole opening out to stretch the metal to the chute ring so it cant bounce around. The ring stays true to the chute opening and not out of round(off centered) as it spins left to right. Then I Installed the tabs all partially loose and slowly snugged them up while continuing to rotate the chute. It works like a charm now. With that said I almost threw in the towel in the begining on them as I had and currently have a few ideas using uhmw blocks instead of the 3 metal mounts. Think rectangular block with a saw blade cut into it for the chute ring to rest in and then the block bolted to the existing mounting holes. I have a few ideas I thought of and sketched on a piece of paper. I'll have to look for it now.

I have had similar thought of uhmw blocks . Question was more about the size , same / wider . How much material needed above the ring . 1 piece or 2 piece blocks. ect.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by ras101 »

Wow, me too! I have been thinking for some time to replace with uhmw blocks too!!! To me moving the metal to metal surfaces apart slightly and the retaining the chute tightly has got to help and will more rigidly hold the chute alignment. Not sure though what that would do with spiral alignment, etc.
For my J series I wanted to also look at the spiral. Mine has been in use for, what, 50 plus years now and for me close to 25 years of that!! Obviously if I waited I could buy a "used" part but I would end up with the same 50+ year old part I already have. I opted to buy new spiral and well that means some design work as the J series spiral is welded to the shaft and the new is not..
stay tuned in the J Series snow thrower section in the CAD files here...we are getting there...

Where you might ask - a fully automated system using motors for both the chute rotation control, etc. Yeah, there will be relays! a full electrical circuit, etc. Sorry will not make this winter season but ...

Anyone want to contribute their ideas please contact me and lets make this truly a forum solution.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

https://ccigt.com/viewtopic.php?t=332

Post #22 is where I have shown my work. This thread may give you some ideas.

Post by ras101 »

Another pet peeve of mine with the J series (the only ones I have experience with) is the lack of chain adjustment. I know that members have rectified that with moving the drive sprocket back, etc. For me, I* have already replaced the drive shaft and pulleys and the 19T sprockets etc. Anyone draw up their solution of moving the drive shaft/sprocket rearward? Love to find drawings/close up photos of at least. Spring is usually my design and build time. Want to work with me? Whatever design we end up with I will draw up on Fusion 360 to share..