OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
propane1 Canada

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by propane1 »

My two look like this. No rating plate on the Case 224 tractor thrower.

Noel
Attachments
9FB5BA37-615F-4C40-BFDE-D91B3FA6A032.jpeg
579513AD-A92F-4334-AF58-E413B33DCDD7.jpeg
E96EFBE4-08EC-4236-B021-3B71E1312040.jpeg
A94916C1-6999-4FEF-8ED4-921324408739.jpeg
2BAE16F9-6900-432E-88E3-D8B502824635.jpeg
6A768FCF-15A0-4891-B31B-24805B054993.jpeg
3BFE0971-4A82-43C9-AEBE-67EB35F13242.jpeg
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:41 am Mine looks just like Tim's. The one from Salem powers website. Mine is a sb48

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
What year is yours Jancoe ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

My blower is a AHSB48, so should to be '92-'93. Does look like a bush fix welding on the coil. :hm:
Screenshot_20221215-115424.png
So at some point they changed the design.
Looks like they changed starting with the L models.
Screenshot_20221215-122253.png
Screenshot_20221215-122501.png
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

Jancoe wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:28 pm I agree. The electric motor definitely helps. I've noticed on the casters I've had, if I remove the 3 chute mounting brackets and squeeze them tighter and close the gap it helps alot. Keeps the chute from slightly wobbling around and jambing up.

Could that really be part of the problem! Yeah I know all about the theory of rust build up,etc. but I oil and grease the cute regularly and it still binds! Is the problem that it is ware? I know this year my son took a hammer (against my better judgement) and "adjusted" the mounting brackets. After a little help the chute started to turn reasonably well. I guess the winter will tell the truth. In the meantime I have bought a new spiral for a later model caster and will fabricate my own solution with - yeah you got it a motor, and controls. Have some ideas here to guys - more projects than time right now though
Last edited by ras101 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:25 pm
Jancoe wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:28 pm I agree. The electric motor definitely helps. I've noticed on the casters I've had, if I remove the 3 chute mounting brackets and squeeze them tighter and close the gap it helps alot. Keeps the chute from slightly wobbling around and jambing up.

Could that really be part of the problem! Yeah I know all about the theory of rust build up,etc. but I oil and grease the cute regularly and it still binds! Is the problem that it is ware? I know this year my son took a hammer (against my better judgement) and "adjusted" the mounting brackets. After a little help the chute started to turn reasonably well. I guess the winter will tell the truth. In the meantime I have bought a new spiral for a later model caster and will fabricate my own solution with - yeah you got it a motor, and controls. Have some ideas here to guys - more projects and time right now though
I found greasing the chute ring to be a problem, I am on gravel so some sand gets kicked up and stuck in the grease, jamming the chute. Better to keep it painted and clean. I also keep a propane torch in the cab, to melt the built up snow out of the chutes ring joint.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by ras101 »

Gordy, when I got my 446 in 2008 it was partly because i had a 250+ foot gravel drive and the 446 came with a snow caster so I know exactly where you are my friend. My problem stems from the crank binding and when I look at the spiral/chute engagement it seems way out of wack and the spiral lifts of the chute! yeah to that level of disengagement!

Post by ras101 »

So another snow country issue! I wear glasses, well I should say I wear "long distance" glasses. Half the time my glasses are on the top of my head!!!!. Well the other day we got a few inches of snow, at least too many that I could ignore (i have an AWD with snow tires mywifeonly2WD with snow tires). so I went outside and tried to start my 446, the key would not even go in the ignition- frozen solid! No issues I thought so went and got the shed key to use my (will remain nameless green machine and snow blower) and the key would not go in the lock!. So not being phased I thought oh well lets go to back up 3 my Ariens walk behind, a 28/10 blower! This started straight away (I privately thank god something was on my side... Well started to clear my drive with no issues and completed that. Thought I had released any demons I might have had and started on my neighbors drive. Well the moment I started I slipped and fell (my 75 year old body felt pain every way to the ground! so I got up and finished the drive too. So I put everything away and went indoors. Later that night I wanted to watch TV and well NO GLASSES! Long story short I lost my glasses when I fell over (yeah they were on my head!) in the mean time a town snow plow had come round and my glasses were in multiple pieces in the snow bank and I am now out over $500 !

Post by ras101 »

So, here's what I know from my spiral, chute issue!!

The center of the spiral and the center of the chute gear needs to be the same.. This I am sure is not new to most of you! Problem is the spiral wears, the spiral shaft wears, the chute hold downs wear too and eventually the wear tolerance builds to a level that jambs the mechanism. Few things I want to look at... the metal to metal contact of the chute to the blower housing, perhaps some form of PTFE washer to reduce friction? New PTFE blocks to place the chute hold downs that don't open up? not sure yet....anyone want to chime in here?
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:20 pm So another snow country issue! I wear glasses, well I should say I wear "long distance" glasses. Half the time my glasses are on the top of my head!!!!. Well the other day we got a few inches of snow, at least too many that I could ignore (i have an AWD with snow tires mywifeonly2WD with snow tires). so I went outside and tried to start my 446, the key would not even go in the ignition- frozen solid! No issues I thought so went and got the shed key to use my (will remain nameless green machine and snow blower) and the key would not go in the lock!. So not being phased I thought oh well lets go to back up 3 my Ariens walk behind, a 28/10 blower! This started straight away (I privately thank god something was on my side... Well started to clear my drive with no issues and completed that. Thought I had released any demons I might have had and started on my neighbors drive. Well the moment I started I slipped and fell (my 75 year old body felt pain every way to the ground! so I got up and finished the drive too. So I put everything away and went indoors. Later that night I wanted to watch TV and well NO GLASSES! Long story short I lost my glasses when I fell over (yeah they were on my head!) in the mean time a town snow plow had come round and my glasses were in multiple pieces in the snow bank and I am now out over $500 !
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your glasses and the fall Ray! :( Do you ever keep your old glasses as spare?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:03 pm Gordy, when I got my 446 in 2008 it was partly because i had a 250+ foot gravel drive and the 446 came with a snow caster so I know exactly where you are my friend. My problem stems from the crank binding and when I look at the spiral/chute engagement it seems way out of wack and the spiral lifts of the chute! yeah to that level of disengagement!
Sorry guy forgot to post this before . There are a number of reason that a chute may bind from freezing to sand in the grease , rust , sitting caulk eyed due to holder spreading open over time . All of these things with a little arm strong can deform the spiral and make the situation worse . The spiral I have had this problem . Lead angle out of wack in places , off centre , and out of round . so I fit it like this prior to installing the motor drive .
20230209_151757.jpg
20230209_151750.jpg
I measured it in many spots took an average , calculated the length of standoffs to force it in centre . Welded to back of spiral but not to centre yet . carefully with a hammer and pliers i adjusted the lead angle where needed so that it was the same through out and matched the chute sprocket . When finished , had to make sure that there was no weld interfering with rotating against the sprocket .

I hope this helps other with there spirals .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder