OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: OK, lets talk J series snow throwers....

Post by Gordy »

ras101 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:40 pm Another pet peeve of mine with the J series (the only ones I have experience with) is the lack of chain adjustment. I know that members have rectified that with moving the drive sprocket back, etc. For me, I* have already replaced the drive shaft and pulleys and the 19T sprockets etc. Anyone draw up their solution of moving the drive shaft/sprocket rearward? Love to find drawings/close up photos of at least. Spring is usually my design and build time. Want to work with me? Whatever design we end up with I will draw up on Fusion 360 to share..
Look up the parts manuals for the exploded view drawings for the S and SB models There were 2 different versions to move the drive sprocket. 1 was 3 holes for the top bolt on the bearing. 2 is the slotted hole with the eye bolt to pull it to the rear.

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I personally like Dave's solution the best, though finding UHMW material may be difficult. My second favourite solution is the one that tensions the chain by tightening the nut/bolt towards the back, sort of like a chainsaw tensioning mechanism. :cheers:

Edit: I take back what I said about difficult to find UHMW. A block 2.5 x 2.5 x 8 inches on our frozen amazon is 36 CAD. Look for uhmw tapping block on amazon US and you'll find it even cheaper. I will wait for my chain to stretch and then I'll make a decision which way to go.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Block of good hardwood would do the trick. For me, much easier to get and a lot cheaper. Hehe.

Noel.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

propane1 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:32 am Block of good hardwood would do the trick. For me, much easier to get and a lot cheaper. Hehe.

Noel.
Ya , A trick my grandfather showed me about hard wood bearings for inboard board shaft bearings back in the day . Was to shape a very dry piece of maple or other fine grain HW . Make it a little small because it will swell . Submerge in hot oil over night . These were the first oil light bearings I think . Same was done for the ones that went though the hull . They had a groove cut in and a wick seal and a small cup you kept full of oil . They worked surprisingly well , but you had to maintain them or you sunk .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:56 pm I personally like Dave's solution the best, though finding UHMW material may be difficult. My second favourite solution is the one that tensions the chain by tightening the nut/bolt towards the back, sort of like a chainsaw tensioning mechanism. :cheers:

Edit: I take back what I said about difficult to find UHMW. A block 2.5 x 2.5 x 8 inches on our frozen amazon is 36 CAD. Look for uhmw tapping block on amazon US and you'll find it even cheaper. I will wait for my chain to stretch and then I'll make a decision which way to go.
Even easier then that for you @Eugen . Grab a piece next time by , Cheap free to good home . What I got (a pile of pieces) I paid $10 for and more than got my money worth and more making NLA bushing for people for which I been paid well for .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

On 1/4" graft paper for reference
On 1/4" graft paper for reference
UHMW plastic guides for caster drive chain with 19 tooth sprocket up grade
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:02 pm
Even easier then that for you @Eugen . Grab a piece next time by , Cheap free to good home . What I got (a pile of pieces) I paid $10 for and more than got my money worth and more making NLA bushing for people for which I been paid well for .
You'll get a bread for it Dave. :giggle: :gift:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:13 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:02 pm
You'll get a bread for it Dave. :giggle: :gift:
I like bread . :giggle:
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So guys, I asked around a couple, or three of our go-to suppliers for parts for a C29877 adjustment screw to upgrade the chain tensioner to the later design that moved the jack shaft back. Yeah, that's the part number with the square hole one end. End result was no one had any in stock and no longer available. Barneveld however said they had been trying to get some made! thank you Barnveld..
I know if I need I can/could always design and create my own but if I could/can buy from a supplier then I prefer to do that and it seems Barneveld is trying to step up.
With Case/Ingersoll out of business we need more sources for even some of our basic parts now and I am glad that Barneveld has taken that approach too.
Don't need the part for a while so see what Barneveld can provide ...
ras101 United States of America

Post by ras101 »

So guys, do I proceed bringing the j series snow caster up to the standards of the later casters with case implied changes to chain tension? or do I progress towards adding a conventional chain tensioner by adding a intermediate gear/tension block? Either way I will attempt to provide 3D drawings

Right now I am on the edge... so looking for help here in my soon to start design?

Wow just looked at the page count here guys...thank you for your commitment and support..