Wow! Inflation

Shoot the breeze here.
ras101 United States of America

Wow! Inflation

Post by ras101 »

Hi, I am sure everyone has noticed the price increases on Case/Ingersoll parts since the factory shut down. Parts that were fetching a few bucks are now $2o dollars or more. Integrated holding valves that once fetched about $200-220 are now approaching $500 on Ebay. How do we maintain our Tractors with this type of inflation? Are we to just accept that and let our hobby go to the very rich amongst us? Even if we want to, or can do, how do we as a following of diehard enthusiasts maintain our hobby and passion?
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Wow! Inflation

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm Hi, I am sure everyone has noticed the price increases on Case/Ingersoll parts since the factory shut down. Parts that were fetching a few bucks are now $2o dollars or more. Integrated holding valves that once fetched about $200-220 are now approaching $500 on Ebay. How do we maintain our Tractors with this type of inflation? Are we to just accept that and let our hobby go to the very rich amongst us? Even if we want to, or can do, how do we as a following of diehard enthusiasts maintain our hobby and passion?
We in :canada: feel your pain and more . I scavenge , make, remake , rebuild , repurpose and some time redesign to keep the passion alive .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

It's a reality of life, any resource that's scarce but in demand, will grow in price. Not sure what a good solution is, but as the years pass, new parts will only get more expensive, and harder to find. Having a few tractors does help, keep some for parts, but not everyone has the space for that.

What parts do you guys think are the most likely to wear and possibly never be able to find a replacement in the future?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by ras101 »

Eugen, Just seems to me that Case/Ingersoll went out of business yesterday and well today we as a group are subjected to massive increases in prices for our parts. I( for one have a lot of spare parts I have accumulated over the years, some for pennies on the dollar too, but this price increase has just caught me a little by surprise too. Even worse is that parts are now in very short supply too. I guess where I need I can make my own but I am thinking too of our members and their needs too.
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

The popularity of the CCI really drives the price of these tractors and parts. Some implements and parts bring top dollar. I will say that as a whole prices around me have backed off and things are not selling as quickly as they had.
When you look at the numbers of tractors sold before the holding valve was standard it's easy to see how they get to that price with the high demand for them. But at $500 your probably better off looking for a cheap tractor to part out. Problem is others are thinking the same. I know, I would kinda like one for my 448.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:

Post by ras101 »

TimJ, Just bought my second integrated holding valves, and I also have a remote holding valve too on my snow blowing 1977 446. I paid no where near what I just saw on Ebay so wanted to rant to other members. It's just not holding valves though. Even belts, filters, or other generalized parts, are being priced well above other other GT suppliers parts too. Are they really that sought after, and in such sort supply, or are we being taken for a ride here?
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I guess new parts are going up just like everything else. I haven't been on flea bay for a while, but it seems like those selling used parts just keep setting the price higher and seeing if someone will pay that price. Can't say I like it though.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

ras101 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:35 pm TimJ, Just bought my second integrated holding valves, and I also have a remote holding valve too on my snow blowing 1977 446. I paid no where near what I just saw on Ebay so wanted to rant to other members. It's just not holding valves though. Even belts, filters, or other generalized parts, are being priced well above other other GT suppliers parts too. Are they really that sought after, and in such sort supply, or are we being taken for a ride here?
From what I have seen both sought after and short supply on some stuff for the most part . Plus add in issues transportation costs , labour shortages , Covid and the war in Ukraine and lack of alternatives parts all have played a roll in the currant state of pricing .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I'm rarely getting things on ebay now, but I used to do this quite often in the past. My strategy was to wait until something showed up for a really good price. I even used to have a sniping tool and won quite a few bargains, though not tractor related. My latest two eBay purchases were a full kit to rebuild the 24V alternator for the big backhoe, and a couple of Swiss made micrometers. Really good prices. :violin:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: