4116 worth it?

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Jancoe United States of America

4116 worth it?

Post by Jancoe »

So I have my 4020 and my 4016ps. My 4020 is down right now due to engine issues. I decided to put my 4016ps back together. This was a project tractor that I bought probably 4 years ago. So in tye stages of putting that back together. I had removed hydro tank, cooler and pump to power wash the crud out of the tower area years ago. I came across a 4116 for sale. Has mower deck, plow, tiller(unsure if it's ah model) and sleeve hitch. The catch is the motor supposedly has a valve issue. It has 1300 hours. I don't think I'll repair this motor. I'd part this out. So I can get the sleeve hitch and power steering items the sell off the rest. Is it worth 1k for all?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Eugen Canada

Re: 4116 worth it?

Post by Eugen »

Does it not make more sense to keep the chassis of the 4116 with the power steering and everything else, and just put an engine in it? I would put as much value on the statement "has valve issues" as I usually put on "has some carb issues". Most often that's an engine that needs to be rebuilt.

I don't know much about the AH tractors, but I've seen you guys mention that the hydraulic motors in those decks are pretty much non-replaceable. So, is that deck useful to you at all, if the motors are close to end of life? You're left with a tiller and a plow. For me a tiller was always something I wanted, to it was worth getting a full package and selling the rest so I could get that tiller. You only know how the individual components may be worth or not, to you.

The other aspect is, once you got what you wanted from this package, how easy/hard is it to sell the rest in your area?

Last but not least, the :wife: factor! :D :violin: :hitsfan: quick get her a nice present, say you wanted so much to give her something not because you had to, like for Christmas :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Jancoe wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:31 pm So I have my 4020 and my 4016ps. My 4020 is down right now due to engine issues. I decided to put my 4016ps back together. This was a project tractor that I bought probably 4 years ago. So in tye stages of putting that back together. I had removed hydro tank, cooler and pump to power wash the crud out of the tower area years ago. I came across a 4116 for sale. Has mower deck, plow, tiller(unsure if it's ah model) and sleeve hitch. The catch is the motor supposedly has a valve issue. It has 1300 hours. I don't think I'll repair this motor. I'd part this out. So I can get the sleeve hitch and power steering items the sell off the rest. Is it worth 1k for all?

THe number one valve issue in those Onans is the exhaust valve seat coming loose on the oil filter side due to a lack of cooling there . This is cause by air loss because of the oil filter air seal not being in place . Over sized seats are available to repair this or can be welded up and re-machined . In :canada: that would be a great deal . If it was I , I would grab it do a compression test to see what side has the issue and then pull the intake and check the valve lash . As all flat heads valves ware they loose clearance and that could also be the "valve issue" . I have a P220 in Frankie , That engine came with the tractor and number of hours on it then was unknown . I have in the last 8 years estimate put on another 3000 hrs. on it . Yes I have had to adjust the valve , reseal the intake ect. but still has 100 lbs in each cylinder . It has become due for a seal and gasket set . Just to give perspective that 1300 hrs on a Onan is not much , but not knowing how it was maintain everything is a question mark .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

From a card carrying member of the cheapskates club and an AH owner, here's my 2 cents. :D

Conditions of the attachments play, but if descent the tiller, blade, and sleeve hitch get you to+/-$1000, more if in good condition.

Condition of the hydraulic motor in the deck could make it worth $5-800. or not much more than scrap.

If you totally part out the tractor and sell and ship the pieces you can probably come out ahead on the parts, especially the sought after ones. Don't know if you do this. :106: I might be interested in some things. :hm:

Michigan is a good Ingersoll state.

You can keep the change. :40:
:geek: Tim
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

So I already have a tiller and a parts tiller, so no need for that. I could put the sleeve hitch on my 4016ps. The mower deck and plow I'd sell off. I have a plow. I thought I'd keep the pump and necessary hydro parts like steering system, priority valve and some odds and ends. I have no need for the rest. But if the engine is fixable I'd probably save it for another one of my tractors. These ah units are no longer desirable to buyers who know these. Main issues are mower deck motor replacements. So with a supposed engine issue and it being a 4116 it will be for sale for a bit I'd say. Have time to think on it. I'll let you guys know if I do.

propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Tim, how does one get one of these cheapskate club cards. :hm: I’m a member in good standing, but don’t have a card. :D

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Noel :giggle:

Post by Timj »

propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:13 am Tim, how does one get one of these cheapskate club cards. :hm: I’m a member in good standing, but don’t have a card. :D

It's hand written on the back of someone else's business card, a piece of scrap paper will also do. The group can no longer afford to provide the repurposed cards, you will need to provide your own, sorry for any inconveniences. :D
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by Timj »

Jancoe wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:12 pm So I already have a tiller and a parts tiller, so no need for that. I could put the sleeve hitch on my 4016ps. The mower deck and plow I'd sell off. I have a plow. I thought I'd keep the pump and necessary hydro parts like steering system, priority valve and some odds and ends. I have no need for the rest. But if the engine is fixable I'd probably save it for another one of my tractors. These ah units are no longer desirable to buyers who know these. Main issues are mower deck motor replacements. So with a supposed engine issue and it being a 4116 it will be for sale for a bit I'd say. Have time to think on it. I'll let you guys know if I do.

If I could come straight across the lake we wouldn't be so far apart. I might be interested in the tiller, maybe the deck.
thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

propane1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:13 am Tim, how does one get one of these cheapskate club cards. :hm: I’m a member in good standing, but don’t have a card. :D

They offered me lifetime membership, but I refuse to pay the dues!

:))
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"