Page 1 of 1

LX 790 engine

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:25 pm
by ras101
Hi, so I have been in the market to replace/renovate my B43M 16 HP engine in a new to me GT that I bought from a neighbor for $200 at the beginning of the season. I have been following an LX790 for sale on my local Craigslist with supposedly 60 hours use for $900 firm. Is this a good deal? will it fit in a 446 with out any change or are there "other' parts requirements such as pump mount, PTO, etc.

Thanks Ray

Re: LX 790 engine

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:51 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:25 pm Hi, so I have been in the market to replace/renovate my B43M 16 HP engine in a new to me GT that I bought from a neighbor for $200 at the beginning of the season. I have been following an LX790 for sale on my local Craigslist with supposedly 60 hours use for $900 firm. Is this a good deal? will it fit in a 446 with out any change or are there "other' parts requirements such as pump mount, PTO, etc.

Thanks Ray
North of the boarder , that engine with that low hours (if can be confirmed) would go for double that or more :canada: $$ As for fit , To the best of my knowledge it will drop right in. Only thing might be shortening the crank stub and a love joy connector depending on what it came out of . Does it say what it was removed from ??

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:41 am
by Harry
https://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 36206.html
Ray, I have seen this engine for sale for a long time. I would say pull the trigger and buy it if that's what you're looking for!

Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:18 am
by Timj
I'm kinda surprised it's been for sale this long??? If it's truly that low hours it would be as good of fit as you can get.
Can you see it running? Does the seller seem truthful? It's definitely a good price if it is good.
Good luck. :please:

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:53 pm
by Gordy
I picked up a 448 years ago with that engine transplant. The only mod I am aware of is the steel hydro return line that comes out of the steering tower and wraps around the bottom right side of the engine needed the bend around the corner of the engine cut off and a longer return hose put on to clear the starter. If you need to do this you will need to make a bead near the end of the tube like the old end had. There was a beading tool online for $95, I opted to turn the welder down and stitch weld a bead on the tube, later I found some guy's had success drilling the tube and installing a couple rivets. The PO of my 448 had not done this, instead relying on 2 worm drive clamps to hold the hose on the smooth steel tube :headbash: My first cold start at 10f the hose slid off within a few seconds of the engine start :cuss:

:cheers:
Gordy

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:43 pm
by ras101
So, I emailed the guy but this is the second time with no response so far. Not even sure this engine is still for sale. Had a few of these on Craigslist where the item is posted and sold and then the seller does not shut down the add and ignores everyone else.. We shall see..

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:00 pm
by DavidBarkey
ras101 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:43 pm So, I emailed the guy but this is the second time with no response so far. Not even sure this engine is still for sale. Had a few of these on Craigslist where the item is posted and sold and then the seller does not shut down the add and ignores everyone else.. We shall see..
Well hopefully they just on Vacation and gets back to you and you can get it .

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:52 am
by Harry
Yes Ray, it's like that sometimes on CL. Someone had steel tractor wheel weights for sale and after emailing a few times I got a response they had already been sold. I've seen that engine up for awhile, hopefully it's still for sale. Txt or call the seller 585) 694-5717.

Keep the :peace: :cop:
Harry

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:14 pm
by ras101
So as a pensioner spending money always takes some thought. I am very close to pulling the plug on the LX790 engine and just buying it! If I do I would fit it into my recently acquired 1979 446 and move the deck from that to my current snow blowing 1978 GT. My question relates though to the clutch. I would want to change the current standard clutch to an electric one. Any ideas how to do that on an LX? I have an electric clutch on my current 1978 GT and B&S engine. Know anyone that supplies a conversion?
Oh BTW, Its not really the clutch that would be the problem but the "interface" i'e the method to connect the clutch to the Engine that would/will be the problem.

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:20 pm
by ras101
So an update.. I have tried several times now to contact the seller and ask questions. I never call but use the Craigslist TXT messaging to keep my identity info anonymous til I am sure of the sellers intent. Heard too many stories of scams and at the beginning of using Craigslist almost got caught too. So I would ask a question like "can you tell me how the engine was performing before removal and why did you remove" the response at best was "it's available come and look". For me we are talking of at least a 20 mile drive and well I expected more willingness to share too. Tried a couple of more times and well got even less feedback. Not sure if this is a scam, so don't want to turn anyone off either, but I will not be buying this engine!

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:06 pm
by ras101
Just so you guys know. This engine has been on Craigslist a while. For me I know of at least 6 weeks but I have been told by others a lot longer. The price has never changed, nor has the posting. The poster has not really been active either and is not in any way proactive in selling this. Seems he is not interested in talking to anyone by txt but offers that or phone call as the methods to contact him/her. If he/she does respond it never ever answers the questions asked (in initial contact I have learnt over years to contact by Craigslist sellers by txt only as there are way too many scam artists out there looking for your personal info). This guy/girl is NOT interested at all in answering questions either. It really is your choice to answer and take risks .. for me it is not worth that..

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:49 am
by ras101
Thought I owed you guys an update on this engine and perhaps show you what not to do if you post on an online site for sale.

This engine has been on this site continuously for almost a year now!! The seller is frankly a jerk that even refuses at times to return emails or even think that his asking price is unreasonable. IMO anyone that thinks they know better than the buying public and pricing is frankly an idiot..

Checked today it's still there!!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:34 pm
by CaseIngersollNE
I will give you the other side from my opinion and experiences. As we sell hundreds of things a year on Craigslist and market place. The scams go both ways and by far, far more scammer buyers than sellers. With Craigslist especially and the people that tend to use CL over market place, giving a phone number in the ad is a MUST as most the older generations use or prefer CL over market place, and with that most times they prefer phone over email and text. The nice thing with market place is you can get a little feeling through chat who you are talking to and look at profiles and see what they are about and get a feel for if real or not. Now with that all said, we always insist on talking on the phone before meetings and giving addresses regardless if buying or selling. For the most part you can get a pretty decent feel for whos on the other line and what they are about and from there decide if you want to give your address out or meet etc or go to a address to buy something. I wont willy neeely give my home or business address out without getting a feel for a person or their intention the phone. No system is perfect but this is how we roll. Also food for thought again more so with craiglsit I find most times the sellers on there either cant or do not want to email or text and prefer to talk on the phone and you get much better results with phone calls. I myself prefer to just talk, though we do countless texts and emails and chats weekly along with many, many phone calls. But when doing in person deals I just prefer to talk to someone to talk about what I am buying or selling and to see if I want to proceed further. The other thing I will say and is frustrating and sad is most the younger generations, dont, wont and CANT talk on the phone lol..Hopefully this may help just sharing my experiences and 2 cents on these situations.