Best option to flush the hydraulic fluids

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: Best option to flush the hydraulic fluids

Post by Gordy »

Maybe yours is different, but my 1992 3012 starts and runs without me in the seat as long as the PTO is off and travel control lever is in neutral.

:cheers:
Gordy
MattA United States of America

Post by MattA »

Gordy - Mine does too but if I move the travel lever it shuts right off.
Ingersoll 4016
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

MattA wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:53 am Gordy - Mine does too but if I move the travel lever it shuts right off.
OOP's Got distracted, forgot to mention the J bracket that hooks over the back of the seat and the bungee cord that connects it to the drawbar :headbash:

:cheers:
Gordy
FreddyFont Canada

Post by FreddyFont »

Mine starts without sitting on it.... I should check on that. I saw there is some type of connector to have it run when the wood chipper is plugged in. Unsure if I'll notice anything unusual.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

My tractors are all older than yours guys, but they all start just fine in cold weather. I use 15w40 for the hydraulic fluid. When it's really cold and I don't wait a bit, the motor will suddenly stop if I try to move suddenly, or, for the 644 if I try to lift the loader suddenly. Obviously the oil is too thick yet, but if I wait for a bit everything is fine.

@FreddyFont regarding your original question. I would feel comfortable to drain the old oil, and if it looks contaminated with water use the old filter, put new oil, run for a bit, dump again. If the old oil was not frothy/grey, I'd just put fresh oil and new filter and use it. This is not motor oil that gets all burned, so I don't see how a little old oil in the system would do any damage.

If you really want to feel good about the tractor, as I sometimes do extra steps not because it's necessary, but because it feels good to do it, you can run through the system some cheap 15w40 oil with the old filter. Dump old oil, fill with cheap, run for 15 minutes, dump, fill again with cheap, run for 15 minutes, dump again. Fill with good oil and put new filter, feel great about yourself and the tractor. :D

Just my 2c.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

For those that need or worry about it . there are magnetic and stick on heaters you can warm the oil on cold days .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by MattA »

FreddyFont wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm Mine starts without sitting on it.... I should check on that. I saw there is some type of connector to have it run when the wood chipper is plugged in. Unsure if I'll notice anything unusual.
Mine does too. It only shuts off if you move the travel lever or flip the PTO switch.
Ingersoll 4016

Post by MattA »

DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:10 pm For those that need or worry about it . there are magnetic and stick on heaters you can warm the oil on cold days .
Are you putting the heater directly on the hydraulic tank? AFAIK the older case tractors had steel tanks (I don't own one) and the newer ones have plastic tanks.
Ingersoll 4016
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

MattA wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:27 pm
DavidBarkey wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:10 pm For those that need or worry about it . there are magnetic and stick on heaters you can warm the oil on cold days .
Are you putting the heater directly on the hydraulic tank? AFAIK the older case tractors had steel tanks (I don't own one) and the newer ones have plastic tanks.
Yes , directly to the metal tanks . But the peal and stick could be put on a plastic tank . https://www.amazon.ca/ABN-Silicone-Heat ... RC1K&psc=1
One like this should work on the plastic tanks . It say that it has built in thermostat set at 90c / 194f . I am sure those tanks get hotter than that at times. That being said , you are not looking to "heat " the oil , but rather just warm it up to a summer like temp on a really cold day . Or put it on the bottom of the pump which is below the tank and do 2 for one .
I have a heater on Frankies tank and on the 446 blower project tractor as well as an oil pan heater for the 446 .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
FreddyFont Canada

Post by FreddyFont »

Eugen wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:17 pm
@FreddyFont regarding your original question. I would feel comfortable to drain the old oil, and if it looks contaminated with water use the old filter, put new oil, run for a bit, dump again. If the old oil was not frothy/grey, I'd just put fresh oil and new filter and use it. This is not motor oil that gets all burned, so I don't see how a little old oil in the system would do any damage.

If you really want to feel good about the tractor, as I sometimes do extra steps not because it's necessary, but because it feels good to do it, you can run through the system some cheap 15w40 oil with the old filter. Dump old oil, fill with cheap, run for 15 minutes, dump, fill again with cheap, run for 15 minutes, dump again. Fill with good oil and put new filter, feel great about yourself and the tractor. :D

Just my 2c.
Thanks Eugen, i like the way you're thinking !! I picked up a 18L on sale and some jugs of Rotella so I'm ready to feel good lol!!