Snow caster, Dozer blade

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
TLD89 United States of America

Snow caster, Dozer blade

Post by TLD89 »

I have a snow caster and dozer blade they both need the scraper blades replaced. What do you think about installing Stainless steel blade instead of steel? Would S.S be more durable? Also thought about carbon steel or harden steel.
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Snow caster, Dozer blade

Post by DavidBarkey »

@TLD89
I think that would depend on the surface conditions you have .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
TLD89 United States of America

Post by TLD89 »

TLD89 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 am I have a snow caster and dozer blade they both need the scraper blades replaced. What do you think about installing Stainless steel blade instead of steel? Would S.S be more durable? Also thought about carbon steel or harden steel.
I take care of concrete driveways in the neighborhood many on steep grades and that really wear the blades down. I try to keep the blades off the driveways as much as I can, but they still get worn down.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

TLD89 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:42 am
TLD89 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 am I have a snow caster and dozer blade they both need the scraper blades replaced. What do you think about installing Stainless steel blade instead of steel? Would S.S be more durable? Also thought about carbon steel or harden steel.
I take care of concrete driveways in the neighborhood many on steep grades and that really wear the blades down. I try to keep the blades off the driveways as much as I can, but they still get worn down.
Have you concidered UHMW plastic bearing material , the stuff they use for iceless hockey surface ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Steel edges seem to be the cheapest option and I don't really see any advantage to using stainless. Not sure you want the hardest steel for the edge, you might get complaints that you're destroying the clients driveway. Very hard steel will chip easier. The commercial best choice seems to be polyurethane, but it's also most expensive. Followed by rubber.

Perhaps if you find a good source to buy in bulk conveyer belt to make your own edges it may last longer, be cheaper, and quieter than steel. Can't think of another cheap source of harder rubber.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Conveyer belt is a great material to have on hand, I used some to close up the gap on the impeller to housing on my walk behind snow blower. :s
When I tested the up grade, I had an audience of 3 guys who were impressed that it threw snow/slush and even a little water. :cheers:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

keith wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:29 am Conveyer belt is a great material to have on hand, I used some to close up the gap on the impeller to housing on my walk behind snow blower. :s
When I tested the up grade, I had an audience of 3 guys who were impressed that it threw snow/slush and even a little water. :cheers:
thanks Keith! It's good to hear about such positive experience. I am myself seeking a good source of conveyer belt for some time (cheap!). Still looking :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Most people here are probably aware of what I'm talking about, these images are for those who do not.
DSCF0690.JPG
DSCF0689.JPG
keith Canada

Post by keith »

Eugen, I found mine at a john deere dealers service department. I just asked and they happened to have some they saved from a repair.
FUTZ Canada

Post by FUTZ »

Municipal plows have harden bolt-on cutting edges. A short piece makes an excellent belly blade/scrapper.

I agree with David, UHMW has great wear resistance. You can cut with sharp knife, but lasts well as a wear pad.