Onan B43M on 446

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
Gordy United States of America

Re: Onan B43M on 446

Post by Gordy »

ras101 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:43 pm Harry, still think you might be back where you are right now trying to start (really hope you are not!) just jumper the solenoid thou and it should start with little to no issues. I really think our main starting issues are more to do with our switches than anything else. Just think about it guys everything wears out eventually and our safety switches are no exception. The 1970-80 tractor shave a few to worry about so for us we don't even think about that -do we? (be honest here). For me with a1978 446 if I don't get ON the GT and press down the brake all I get at best is a solenoid that clicks - do you get that too?? When I jumper the solenoid It starts --wow! your choice.Oh by the way I usually still get on the GT and start sitting in the seat but just saying...
There was a discussion on the old group about the Onans and the click no spin on the starter. You are correct about the switches, but also wire connections, they get dirty and can carry 12 volts but at greatly reduced amperage. One of the guy's brought up a JD fix for their Onan powered tractors. It was to install a relay. The primary coil is hooked to ground and the wire coming to the the solenoid, the secondary of the relay is hooked to the solenoid and battery positive. Here's the link.

https://www.casecoltingersoll.com/threa ... ion.69338/

:cheers:
Gordy