My new 644 arrived

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
thebuildist United States of America

Re: My new 644 arrived

Post by thebuildist »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:13 pm
thebuildist wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:57 pm It goes without saying that any of us would LOVE to get our grubby hands on a Kubota diesel powered 644.

You'll have to put the radiator up front, right? I'm presuming you won't fool with an electric PTO for a deck or whatever. I'm guessing that means the hydro oil cooler will go on the lower left side of the steering tower, like the later Ingersolls.

Does it have the newer style hydro tank? That's the way I'd want to go.

I can't wait to see progress!!

But if you get stumped real bad, I'll send you my shipping address.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bob

Oh no you don’t Bob. I already spoke for either one. :D

Noel
:((
:((
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
Chad Canada

Post by Chad »

Looks like a great project Eugen. Looking forward to your progress!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Eugen the purpose of myself having a 644 and a 646 was that the 644 had a hoe. In retrospect I have found that it's nice having two loaders in case one is giving me trouble I have a backup loader. If I was you, I would keep both until the diesel is up and running then evaluate the situation. Maybe the Kohler powered 644 is a better GT in the long run and sell the diesel powered one. Two tractors in the barn are better than one. :clap:

Keep the Peace :cop: :peace:
Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thank you guys for all ideas. I have been really busy with my day job and family for the last few days, until very late at night, when I was so tired that I couldn't even concentrate to write a decent message here.

Was able to have a closer look at this tractor. It seems to me that it sat somewhere and rusted for some years, until some guy got it and decided to put the diesel engine in it and revive it. There are signs that this loader took quite some abuse: some of the holes where pins go are very much out of round. Some linkages bent, some hydraulic hoses pinched. I'll show pics when I get around to it. No cracked frame that I could see, so that's ok. Not so many things missing, as far as I can see: some of the frame parts at the front, for instance the posts that hold the hydraulic tank. All in all, not too bad.

The thing is, I need this tractor functional asap so I can sell the other 644. Funds do not allow to keep both, however nice that would be. Therefore, this time around this tractor will NOT go through a thorough "restoration", rather it will be a "resurrection". Some day in the future, depending on where my life goes, I might have time to do a proper restoration.

Now, the diesel engine re-powering. First, I don't know the condition of this engine. The seller said he never got it to run, he bought the whole package from someone else. Would it be strong enough to use with this loader? I also don't know that. There was no Case 620 that I know of. So, if Case considered that the minimum HP figure for the loader was 14 HP, do I want to risk and put a 10 HP engine in it? Sure the diesel has more torque than a gas engine, at the same horse power, but still, there's quite a distance between 10HP and 14HP.

I tried to start the diesel engine but wasn't able to. Granted I didn't put much time into it. But it has enough unknowns right now that it doesn't exactly qualify for the quickest solution to get the tractor running. Plus, as @thebuildist correctly identified, there will be complications with the hydraulic oil cooler, and the diesel engine radiator. Another potential complication is the hydraulic pump coupling that the original owner did; it's a little flimsy to me.

I have a Kohler K321 that's been freshly rebuilt, so it should be easier to use for this tractor. I also have a newer 15HP engine with a hydraulic pump properly attached to it, which might fit well in this tractor even though it has no front PTO. This tractor will be only on loader duty, not mowing, so no need for the front PTO. I just have to check what's needed to connect that hydraulic pump to the existing pipes.

@Propane57, I have bought a lottery ticket. If I win over $1M, you will get the running 644 delivered to your door. If you refuse it, it will go to @thebuildist :D
Last edited by Eugen on Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by thebuildist »

Well, I can't argue with that!
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Sounds good Eugen. I guess your out of luck Bob, cause I won’t refuse it. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

It’s called a “ refresh “ Eugen. :giggle:

Noel :D
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

If everything is there from the original tractor, I'm with you in putting one of the gas engines in for now to get it going. Then play with the diesel when you have the time to deal with it. I think there's just too many things that could take alot of time to get worked out. :cheers:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen I put a Z482 in the Bride. Basically the same block . You are welcome to look at it next time you are over .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by thebuildist »

Propane57 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:07 pm Sounds good Eugen. I guess your out of luck Bob, cause I won’t refuse it. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

It’s called a “ refresh “ Eugen. :giggle:

Noel :D
I refuse to believe that you could refuse to refuse it!

What a bunch of refuse!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Post by thebuildist »

I guess you're making sense. But if I were anywhere near you I would personally help you get that diesel engine in there. It's just such a nice end result.

And I don't think Kubota made any water-cooled diesels less then about 16 or 20 hp. One of the little Hatz style air-cooled diesels could be 10hp or under, but I think anything water-cooled is going to be plenty of power.

But again, I recognize you're doing the responsible thing.

just not the FUN thing.

:(( :(( :((