Auction 446. The work begins.

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
DavidBarkey Canada

Re: Auction 446. The work begins.

Post by DavidBarkey »

What you can do to the old turfs to get better traction is to remove every other block in the tread . "Regrooving " with a hot knive . Or just opening up the width of the grooves . This concentrates the wieght on contact patch . As for the chains , making them longer and letting all the air out of the tires then reinflating once on and lined up . I fit every chain set that way .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Well I hope you don’t get the snow Jeff. But you’re ready I’d say.
Loose to snug chains give the best traction. And low tire pressure. About 7 to 8 lbs of pressure. Just my opinion.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Thanks fellas. I didn’t even think about tire pressure or letting air out before installing them. I did think about making them longer but I don’t have the time or materials at the moment to do it. These chains were on the the way to the dump I think I should see if there are anymore laying around that would make it easy to make these longer.

Great idea on grooving the tires Mr Dave! That may be my answer. Those tires are old and hard. I wonder how tough it would be to cut?
I’m going with what I have for the immediate future. They still don’t know the exact track of the storm so we could get all rain or 8” of snow. We also have 2 more chance for this crap falling into next weekend :109: :45: :headbash: :cuss:
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

You should be good to go. Good plan to watch for another chain to lengthen yours, keep watching something will turn up. :thumbsup:
You know you haven't had fun putting chains on until you are buried and have to dig out just to get under your truck. :cuss: At least that's what I've been told. :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO A thought for the future is to get a pair of P series snow tires for it (P is softer , better traction and ride / lt carries more weight ). They can be used year round . I beleave the size is 235-245 /75 R16 It may vary some from brand to brand . If you want to stay with the turf you have . See if there are any dirt track racers in the area . They are experts in tread cutting . Hopefully the snowmagedin passes you by and you can deal with it in the spring .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Jeff. Tire options. Rarely ever get stuck. And to make chain longer or cross chains. Just cut the link. Bend it apart so a link will slide in. Bend it back straight. I’ve never had a problem with them coming apart. Case 446

MF14, atv gator tires. Loose chains, no tighteners. Rarely ever get stuck.

John Deere. Atv gator tires. No chains. Rarely ever get stuck.

All three tractors have some weight on the back.

Options for you. Just my opinion.
Tires on the Case 446 are 6 ply which is to hard really for snow, but great for the woods or ruff terrain. Less chance of a puncture.
Not easy to have one tire for all conditions.

Noel
Attachments
IMG_7559.jpeg
IMG_7562.jpeg
IMG_7563.jpeg
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

Noel, in the first pic I see wheel weights on the ag tires. Do you know what they were on originally? I like the way they look. :peace: Harry
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@propane1 @DavidBarkey i think any of those tire options would work for me. I’m not really worried too much about puncturing a tire. The hay field is the hardest terrain I plan on taking it into. I know a guy that’s has a small automotive shop a few towns over. I’ve gotten used tires from him before to use on implements. Might be worth stopping to see if he has any snow tires laying around. I don’t really want to use turf tires. These would probably be fine if I was just mowing a nice level lawn. I’ll probably hang on to them just because but I’m gonna try and scrounge a pair up better suited to my needs.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Harry wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:16 pm Noel, in the first pic I see wheel weights on the ag tires. Do you know what they were on originally? I like the way they look. :peace: Harry
The wheel weights are for front tires for farm tractors. Most two wheel drive older and maybe newer farm tractors had the same front wheels as the rear wheels on our 400 series Case tractors, other than the offset. The weights I have were off the front of a Ford 3900 two wheel drive farm tractor. But I’m guessing the are off a Fordson maybe. There is engraving on the weights. I’ll get a picture of that today and post it Harry.

Noel
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Here’s a few pictures. This type of weight came on Fordson Major front wheels. And other Fords, I’m guessing. The En stood for England and the Fo for Ford, I think. The fella I bought them from said they were 75 lbs each. I never weighed then, so not sure about that. But what I know is, they were heavy to get on the wheels.

Noel
Attachments
IMG_7571.jpeg
IMG_7570.jpeg
IMG_7569.png
IMG_7568.png