PTO on Case 220

Stuff about your Case, Colt, or Ingersoll tractor
puttputt Canada

PTO on Case 220

Post by puttputt »

I picked up an early Case 220 a few years ago and am finally getting around to seeing what all is ailing it. I'm trying to install a fan blade but cannot get the bolt that screws through the pto to bulge at all. Before I mess around any further, I wanted to ask if by chance it could be left hand thread. I assume not likely but thought I'd check. Of course trying to stop the engine from turning when trying to loosen the bolt is a trick in itself!
Eugen Canada

Re: PTO on Case 220

Post by Eugen »

Please have a look at this manual, page 5, paragraph 3

https://manuals.ccigt.com/ServiceManual ... 20copy.pdf

Sorry for the short reply, I had a longer answer but one of the kids woke up crying and I had to write something quickly. Indeed, that bolt can be hard to take out, especially if it was probably torqued at more than 45 ft lb by an overzealous previous owner; see if you can persuade it with a little lubricant, and perhaps some light impact driver action.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Yes it is a left hand thread . At this point you may have tightened it more trying to get it off . In this case an impact gun is your friend . But make sure you have it going in the correct dirrection to loosen a left hand thread . Follow the manual Eugen posted . If you need parts/ shims,spring washers or bearings . We have Case venders on our sight that can help you out .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

DavidBarkey wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:26 am Yes it is a left hand thread . At this point you may have tightened it more trying to get it off . In this case an impact gun is your friend . But make sure you have it going in the correct dirrection to loosen a left hand thread . Follow the manual Eugen posted . If you need parts/ shims,spring washers or bearings . We have Case venders on our sight that can help you out .
Looking at the link to the manual (thank you for the link), on page 9 it says "remove right hand thread bolt". Could that be a misprint or maybe different years were different? I did try an impact on it a bit in the left hand thread direction to no avail but I didn't try very hard until I could determine thread direction. But going in right hand thread direction I couldn't budge it even with a breaker bar.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Can you try and identify which type of clutch you have? According to page 3 of that manual:

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.41.27.png
the right hand on page 9 has to have the snap ring which you should be able to see, if it's that style
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.45.12.png
If you don't have the snap ring there it must be left hand, give it some left hand impact love! :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

Thanks for the info. I have to wait until the weekend again as the tractor is at my shop out at the cabin. But from what I can remember, I don't believe there is a snap ring. So if not, I shall give it some left hand love.
Thanks again.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

I have to check the adjustment on the 222 tomorrow. I was sure it has a clip and it was left hand thread . I will report back on it tomorrow . Of the 5 clutches I have worked on I have never seen a right hand thread . Now I am woundering . Hopefully one of the guyes with a lot more experiance can chime in and set us straight .
In the front of the manual it says all are left hand but the loader and then says the early is right hand :hm: .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Dave, it seems to me that only the loader (6xx) and the clutch that uses that old type of snap ring are right handed. That's how the manual reads for me. :writing:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:56 pm Dave, it seems to me that only the loader (6xx) and the clutch that uses that old type of snap ring are right handed. That's how the manual reads for me. :writing:
I read it the same way but just had the 222 apart and it is left hand thread and is early style based on there description with a clip . I have an easy clutch with right hand thread stud . I am really confused now . Hope that one of our dealers can chime in and shed some light on this .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

I was out at the cabin this weekend so got back to the tractor. Got the bolt out. It was indeed left hand thread. A little bit of impact persuasion and out it came. I kind of buggered the head though from my previous attempt!