Under Weight Gator

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: Under Weight Gator

Post by RoamingGnome »

Very old school construction - body on frame, standard transmission, divorced transfer case, solid axles, closed knuckles, leaf springs on all 4 corners, recirculating ball steering, ... in stock form they were a little under powered, so when off-road you were most likely to stall the engine before breaking any of the drivetrain - and the ride quality was comparable to being inside a ping pong ball.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:57 am
This one came with a HD alternator too, so it'll get some extra lights, and probably fix/replace the cab heater it has. (at 300 watts, it isn't going to heat much, but it would probably keep the windshield defogged/defrosted)
Depending how much you use it in the winter, maybe one of those china diesel heats ? Here is a 5KW, they also make a smaller 2KW.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Motorho ... 0044&psc=1

:cheers:
Gordy
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Gordy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:04 pm
Toolslinger wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:57 am
This one came with a HD alternator too, so it'll get some extra lights, and probably fix/replace the cab heater it has. (at 300 watts, it isn't going to heat much, but it would probably keep the windshield defogged/defrosted)
Depending how much you use it in the winter, maybe one of those china diesel heats ? Here is a 5KW, they also make a smaller 2KW.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Motorho ... 0044&psc=1

:cheers:
Gordy
I got the 5kw one. It puts out a lot of heat!
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Gordy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:04 pm Depending how much you use it in the winter, maybe one of those china diesel heats ? Here is a 5KW, they also make a smaller 2KW.
That's kinda TBD, but the reality is I'm not running a farm, or business where I need to be outside all day, every day. Just being able to stay out of the wind, and rain should be enough, as well as having a dry seat to sit on. I see it more as a way to get between my 3 buildings without being absolutely miserable. There's always something to do out in the fields like cleaning up downed trees and such, but not much that is important enough to have me out there in the teeth of a storm. Probably the worst is when I don't prep the generator, and have to go to the barn to haul it back to the house.

When the existing heater didn't get hot, I immediately thought about those diesel heaters. I think if I really had to be out there in horrible weather, I could figure out where to mount one. There isn't a whole lot of room on a Gator to work with, but I imagine it could work. The reality is the climate here in PA isn't rough enough to justify that level of investment, and effort. Everything here is open station, which makes it less than fun, but nobody has perished since my folks bought it in the late 60's... Just having a roof, doors, and glass is likely going to spoil me...
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Toolslinger I can tell you from having 2 GTs with cabs that small fans to keep the window clear from fogging up is a must ..
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

That makes sense. I'm leaving the non-heating heater in place for the moment since it has an ok fan in it. I never knew a HD alternator was an option until I got this one. I'm glad I've got that reserve of amps to work with.