Page 1 of 1

Trailer restoration.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm
by Jancoe
Just wanted to show off my 16' trailer I fixed up. I bought this trailer around a year ago. It was manufactured in 2000? By a company called Gold Star. It's just a 16' 10k trailer. The lights did not work. The brakes did not work. deck wasn't too bad on it. When I bought it the P.O. just put new tires on it. I got it at a great price. The trailer is very solid and had alot of light surface rust on it. It was originally red then painted black which was showing both colors and rust. I had pictures before I started the process but my previous phone bit the dust and I lost alot of pictures of many things. So I don't have any before pics. This restoration only took place because I had my uncles sandblasting equipment for awhile so why not right? There was alot of incomplete welds that I had to finish on it. I blasted it, added a couple of d rings. Installed a rub rail along the sides of the frame. Enclosed the tail lights so I don't break them off so easily. The trailer only had brakes on the rear axle. So I went ahead and installed electric brakes on the front axle. Did a bearing pack, replaced all the suspension bushings, installed some nice fancy equalizers which quieted down the suspension when not loaded. I painted the frame in Chassis Saver paint and some charcoal Grey on the wheels. I decided to put a new deck on since I was so far into this thing that I didn't want to put the old back on. Things I have left to do is build a nice tounge storage box. It will hold a 5k winch and store all my straps and battery. This trailer does not have a spot to store the ramps. I was hesitant to weld up an undercarriage to slide the ramps into. I decided not to remembering past trailers and winter ice freezing them into place under the back to where you were chiseling them out. I will be making mounts to hold them in the stake pockets on the sides. The rest will get on hold till spring. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Re: Trailer restoration.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:05 pm
by Jancoe
More picsImageImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:07 pm
by Jancoe
PicsImageImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm
by Jancoe
I only installed 4 d rings. 2 up front and 2 between the fenders. I didnt want to over do the d rings and smack them all the time when I shovel snow off in the winter when I use it. I have angle iron welded in between the tounge for when I build the box. I also added new chains and some chain hooks under the coupler for when I'm storing the chains. Don't want to scratch that new paint. LolImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 pm
by Jancoe
At work I also do alot of frame repair and modifications. Just repaired this travel trailer a frame. Cut off the old and welded up a new one on.ImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:18 pm
by Jancoe
I've also installed lift kits for the taller trucks to be able to pull nice and level.ImageImageImageImageImage

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm
by thebuildist
You do some really quality looking work!

By nature of how they're used something like a travel trailer cannot afford to be done poorly. But it looks like they're in good hands with you.

Bob

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 pm
by JSinMO
Nicely done. You’ve got that trailer looking so good it’s almost a shame to put it to work! Kind of like a new vehicle, you worry about until it gets its first scratch or ding!

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 pm
by DavidBarkey
@Jancoe Nice work on both trailers . Curious on what wood you guys use for your beds , looks like yellow pine . How does it stand up to rot and do you treat it ?

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:50 am
by Jancoe
DavidBarkey wrote:[mention]Jancoe[/mention] Nice work on both trailers . Curious on what wood you guys use for your beds , looks like yellow pine . How does it stand up to rot and do you treat it ?
I used treated pine. I would have rather used rough sawn oak but the Amish is about a 40 min drive. I should have picked that up before I tore it down. It should last a good 10 years at least.

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:48 am
by Timj
With the prices those trailers are bringing, finding a sound one and putting a little sweat into it seems like the way to go. Nice job, good as new! :thumbsup:
Been watching for the right trailer "project" to show itself too, not that I need another project. :D
:geek: Tim

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:43 pm
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:50 am
DavidBarkey wrote:@Jancoe Nice work on both trailers . Curious on what wood you guys use for your beds , looks like yellow pine . How does it stand up to rot and do you treat it ?
I used treated pine. I would have rather used rough sawn oak but the Amish is about a 40 min drive. I should have picked that up before I tore it down. It should last a good 10 years at least.

Did the similar restore on my 4x8 trailer this summer . The original floor was Tamarack and went 10 years . This time I am using Ash , as it is cheap hear from local mill do to the amount of die off because of the beetles .