Trailer restoration.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Jancoe United States of America

Trailer restoration.

Post by Jancoe »

Just wanted to show off my 16' trailer I fixed up. I bought this trailer around a year ago. It was manufactured in 2000? By a company called Gold Star. It's just a 16' 10k trailer. The lights did not work. The brakes did not work. deck wasn't too bad on it. When I bought it the P.O. just put new tires on it. I got it at a great price. The trailer is very solid and had alot of light surface rust on it. It was originally red then painted black which was showing both colors and rust. I had pictures before I started the process but my previous phone bit the dust and I lost alot of pictures of many things. So I don't have any before pics. This restoration only took place because I had my uncles sandblasting equipment for awhile so why not right? There was alot of incomplete welds that I had to finish on it. I blasted it, added a couple of d rings. Installed a rub rail along the sides of the frame. Enclosed the tail lights so I don't break them off so easily. The trailer only had brakes on the rear axle. So I went ahead and installed electric brakes on the front axle. Did a bearing pack, replaced all the suspension bushings, installed some nice fancy equalizers which quieted down the suspension when not loaded. I painted the frame in Chassis Saver paint and some charcoal Grey on the wheels. I decided to put a new deck on since I was so far into this thing that I didn't want to put the old back on. Things I have left to do is build a nice tounge storage box. It will hold a 5k winch and store all my straps and battery. This trailer does not have a spot to store the ramps. I was hesitant to weld up an undercarriage to slide the ramps into. I decided not to remembering past trailers and winter ice freezing them into place under the back to where you were chiseling them out. I will be making mounts to hold them in the stake pockets on the sides. The rest will get on hold till spring. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Re: Trailer restoration.

Post by Jancoe »

More picsImageImageImageImageImage

Post by Jancoe »

PicsImageImageImageImageImage

Post by Jancoe »

I only installed 4 d rings. 2 up front and 2 between the fenders. I didnt want to over do the d rings and smack them all the time when I shovel snow off in the winter when I use it. I have angle iron welded in between the tounge for when I build the box. I also added new chains and some chain hooks under the coupler for when I'm storing the chains. Don't want to scratch that new paint. LolImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Jancoe on Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Jancoe »

At work I also do alot of frame repair and modifications. Just repaired this travel trailer a frame. Cut off the old and welded up a new one on.ImageImageImageImage

Post by Jancoe »

I've also installed lift kits for the taller trucks to be able to pull nice and level.ImageImageImageImageImage

thebuildist United States of America

Post by thebuildist »

You do some really quality looking work!

By nature of how they're used something like a travel trailer cannot afford to be done poorly. But it looks like they're in good hands with you.

Bob
"Never be afraid to try something new. How hard can it be?"
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Nicely done. You’ve got that trailer looking so good it’s almost a shame to put it to work! Kind of like a new vehicle, you worry about until it gets its first scratch or ding!
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Jancoe Nice work on both trailers . Curious on what wood you guys use for your beds , looks like yellow pine . How does it stand up to rot and do you treat it ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by Jancoe »

DavidBarkey wrote:[mention]Jancoe[/mention] Nice work on both trailers . Curious on what wood you guys use for your beds , looks like yellow pine . How does it stand up to rot and do you treat it ?
I used treated pine. I would have rather used rough sawn oak but the Amish is about a 40 min drive. I should have picked that up before I tore it down. It should last a good 10 years at least.