Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by Eugen »

Thank you @Spike188 for the offer, and everyone else for the ideas. As it's not an urgent thing to do, I'll think about it for a little and see how I'll proceed. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen If needed I have this pipe wrench
image.png
and a regular 36" pipe wrench to with it . These take a real man to handle them , that is why they are covered in dust on the shelf . :violin: Seriously these are industrial tools given to me by a neighbour down sizing . I nothing invested in them ,but can't through them out . I would sooner see people borrow them so them get used .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@DavidBarkey , a 36" diameter pipe wrench :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:! You think I'm a giant? :))
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:12 am @DavidBarkey , a 36" diameter pipe wrench :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:! You think I'm a giant? :))
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 36" long . each
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

The chain wrench gave me an idea.... I think I might try that, and see if one or two links get lucky and line up with the notches so you could insert some key stock, or hard pins through to engage.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks @Toolslinger , it's a good idea. I'm taking a break from fixing stuff, shattered my thumb trying to drive this stubborn pin out.

At first I was being careful and used a 3/4 rod held in place with a magnet to hit with the big sledgehammer. I kept missing or hitting it slightly on the edge and then the rod would fly. Once into my shin. The pin moved only a little. Then I got the "brilliant" idea to use a shorter rod with the 3lb mallet, as I felt having more control. Turns out it took only one miss to smash the thumb.
0410C844-9699-4A31-9FD5-FA24E0D31CB9.jpeg
47BAA7F3-D91B-4A23-8B20-9F4D011C1EAB.jpeg
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Oh... I'm so sorry Eugen, I can visualize exactly how that happened... :cuss:

There are a couple of different tools used in heavy equipment shops for that situation - and ALWAYS use eye protection - When I worked at Toromont CAT their proper PPE for using a hammer heavier than 10lbs was safety glasses, full face shield, gloves, hearing protection and a leather apron - the face shield and leather apron were to protect from chunks flying off the hammer or pin

One is a pin driver/hammer - same idea/weight as a sledge hammer but with a pin forged on one side - that makes it a two man operation - one holds the pin hammer against the pin, and then the trust worthy 2nd person hits the flat side of the pin driver with a regular sledge hammer (the home made solution is to weld a 3' length of pipe to a length of round rod so one person can hold it and stay out of harms way when the other person is swinging the real sledge hammer)
Screenshot_20230314-192012~2.png
Second solution is a "Slide Sledge" Pricey tool - but it lets you pound out a pin by yourself - it's like a slide puller working in reverse -
Screenshot_20230314-192604~2.png
YouTube Video attached - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZbCPDQ6iI

Third solution is to improvise and use a "Swing Hammer" - Heaviest piece of steel you can find - (like an old truck axle shaft / big chunk of round bar stock) suspend the "hammer" with strap/rope from your loader bucket (or a step ladder if you are working near the ground). Get it hanging horizontal and level with the pin you want to hit - the idea is to pull it back and let it swing in an arc against the pin, like a pendulum - just using momentum and the weight of the bar to act like a hammer. Because it is suspended you don't get as tired as if you were swinging a sledge hammer -
Last edited by RoamingGnome on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen i know it going to be awhile for you to heal up, my heart sank when I saw the x-ray.
I was thinking when you can get back to this, would some heat around the pin and then rig up a bottle jack to press the pin out work? I was thinking of using the bucket of you big Case to push against. Just a thought.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Clearly I should run by you guys whatever I am going to do. It was a mistake not to ask for help. I suppose it was encouraging to drive three pins out before this happened. And all three were hard to come out, but the last one was in a different category. Also, why did I not stop when I knew my arm got tired, and I even thought that when you're tired and visibility is poor (was getting dark) that's when most accidents happen. Not only, but about a minute before I even thought "look at me, managed to get a lot of pounding with the mallet and no injury, yay!" Lots of red flags, but I didn't clue in.

What can I say, lesson learned, hopefully. :blush: :109:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@Eugen When you are ready to get back at it . Come see me and I will help you make a drive pin holder . Super cheap and easy . Just need a few sizes off the machine .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder