Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Eugen Canada

Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by Eugen »

Got a trencher backhoe the other day.

Background story
I have been looking for a 600 series Case loader with backhoe for the last three years, but have not seen one for sale in that time anywhere in Ontario. Was able to buy one fully functioning 644 about a year and a half ago, and a parts one a few months ago. But a backhoe sized for the 644 has been elusive.

A few days ago I noticed a device on the market place, with what seemed to be a small size backhoe on it. The device was listed as a Davis/Case 500 trencher. At first I paid no attention to it, as it looked in pretty bad shape, and I didn't clue in to the Davis name, who made the backhoe for the Case LBH series. Somehow the penny dropped and did a search on the device, indeed the backhoe was a Davis model D100. The price was definitely in the range where only the backhoe would be worth it to me, as it would save me from building one as I was planning to do. It also helped that it was not too far from me (2 hours North).

Decided to get it, chatted with the seller on the phone, and we had an agreement on a price. Went there on Saturday, arrived around 12:30 as I had planned. The poor chap was gone to the nearest town to get himself medication, as he had a bout of bladder infection the night before and ended up in emergency. He had a field of all kind of cars and trucks and parts of trailers, and what not, like a wrecker yard, and I had two hours to browse his museum of valuable junk.

When he did show up, with a big JD diesel tractor, we got right on the task of loading. That ended up being quite an adventure in itself. This big monster could not lift the little trencher more than 6 inches off the ground. I already saw myself going back empty handed, because if that monster tractor couldn't lift it, what else?

Fortunately his neighbour had a Case 580L backhoe loader and was willing to come help. The two loaders teamed up and lifted the trencher just enough for me to drive the trailer under it, and the trencher was lowered onto the trailer. But the trouble was not over. The trencher was sitting too much to the rear of the trailer, and most of the weight was on the trailer axle causing the tongue to go up. There were moments of holding my breath as he pushed the trencher forward, little by little, until the weight was better distributed. At that point it has occurred to me that ever since I bought that trailer second hand, I never looked at the shape of the leaf springs and I was too afraid at this point to look. The 1750 each max load tires were overfilled already, yet they were slightly flattened. The guy looked under the trailer unprovoked and said "you got an inch and a half of clearance, don't go fast over speed bumps". Which was somewhat reassuring me that perhaps I'll make it home without an incident.

Load chains went on and I took off. Went slower than the traffic and stopped from time to time to check the temperature of the trailer tires and axles. They got warm(ish) but not hot. The trip home definitely was a little nerve wrecking, but thank God I made it safely.

The next day I was burning with curiosity whether my big Case 680E loader would be able to lift the trencher and unload it off the trailer. It did, but barely so. I could lift the trencher just about one inch above the trailer, and move it slowly until it got unloaded. That tells me that most likely the hydraulic pump on the big loader isn't in its prime.

The trencher is an interesting machine. Has an Onan J60-MS engine, from what I've read on the internet, often used in generators. 60 cubic inch displacement. The fellow told me it's seized and that he banged the hell out of it trying to get it loose; basically it's ruined. The rest of the machine is rusty to the extreme, not surface rust, but deeper rust. The backhoe has been patched with 1/4 and 1/2 inch plate in various places, obviously this machine has worked hard in its life. Many of the control valves levers are stuck, the hoses are cracked and pretty much destroyed. The backhoe ram rods are pitted/peppered.

That being said, I am excited to bring the backhoe back to life, but I don't think I'll be able to work on it until next year when the weather turns nicer. Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the machine. The kids like climbing on this already, so at the very least it's a neat playground artifact for them.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of the story. Let's see what the future holds for this heavy pile of rust. Thank you for reading. :cheers:

Big tractor, weak pump? Can't lift the trencher.
Big tractor, weak pump? Can't lift the trencher.
Case 580L comes to rescue.
Case 580L comes to rescue.
Loaded and secured. Let's go home.
Loaded and secured. Let's go home.
My Case 680e has trouble lifting it too.
My Case 680e has trouble lifting it too.
Was not easy but it made it to the ground eventually.
Was not easy but it made it to the ground eventually.
The 644 doesn't know what to think. "First snow, and a backhoe waiting there for me in the background?"
The 644 doesn't know what to think. "First snow, and a backhoe waiting there for me in the background?"
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by JSinMO »

It’s quite interesting! My first thought was let’s have a look at that engine. Fingers crossed that just because he couldn’t get it loose doesn’t mean you won’t.

My second thought was, wow we were talking about how to make a tracked 600 series not that long ago!
I know you just got it home, but are there any thoughts of using this and the project tractor to make one tracked loader backhoe? :D :thumbsup: that’s my early vote! :giggle: But of course im looking forward to updates no matter what direction you decide to take this! :thumbsup:

It sure looks like a fun project!
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Hurry up @Eugen :whip: get the 644 done and the backhoe fixed and mounted. :whip: :smash: I have a plan for the rest of the unit. :letmesee: :writing: :122: :D it's going to be cool :cool: it will be tough on the yard but...
:geek: Tim

Start soaking those tracks with diesel fuel. Oh oh oh :107:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:58 pm It’s quite interesting! My first thought was let’s have a look at that engine. Fingers crossed that just because he couldn’t get it loose doesn’t mean you won’t.
Somewhere in the back of my mind there was this thought too. Usually it's the other way around it, the seller plays it up a bit. In this case he went to some length telling me about how he banged the heck out of this engine. Either or it'll be a pleasure taking it apart. Interesting engine this J60, which later was named JB and was used in gen sets. Two cylinders, 3-1/4 bore, and 3-5/8 stroke. Same bore as the BF-MS, but a whole inch longer stroke. 60 cubic inches, almost 1000cc. Maybe 20 hp?
My second thought was, wow we were talking about how to make a tracked 600 series not that long ago!
I know you just got it home, but are there any thoughts of using this and the project tractor to make one tracked loader backhoe? :D :thumbsup: that’s my early vote! :giggle: But of course im looking forward to updates no matter what direction you decide to take this! :thumbsup:

It sure looks like a fun project!
As soon as I saw the tracks I surely thought of it 😁. On the one hand there are some positives. Machinery like this made in the 70s are simpler. Heavy gauge steel too. On the other hand some parts are likely unobtainable.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Timj wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:49 pm Hurry up @Eugen :whip: get the 644 done and the backhoe fixed and mounted. :whip: :smash: I have a plan for the rest of the unit. :letmesee: :writing: :122: :D it's going to be cool :cool: it will be tough on the yard but...

Chop chop I'm on it Tim! I want to know what you have in mind. Yeah, the tracks eh? Soak them in diesel? Sure, hope the price of diesel goes down by next summer! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Harry United States of America

Post by Harry »

That was a terrific story Eugen, thanks for sharing it. It will be another story that we follow as you decide how to tackle this project.

Keep the :peace: :peace: :cop:
Harry
Last edited by Harry on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 444, 1974 644, 1976 446, 1977 646, 1986 226
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Awesome deal you got there. That will definitely be a nice project getting that backhoe put together on your loader. I think a little mini dozer would be awesome to make out of the remaining parts. (As long as you don't have a decent yard to ride over). My wife would kill me if I had a tracked machine around the house. Lol Can't wait to see the project come together.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Eugen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:27 am
Timj wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:49 pm Hurry up @Eugen :whip: get the 644 done and the backhoe fixed and mounted. :whip: :smash: I have a plan for the rest of the unit. :letmesee: :writing: :122: :D it's going to be cool :cool: it will be tough on the yard but...

Chop chop I'm on it Tim! I want to know what you have in mind. Yeah, the tracks eh? Soak them in diesel? Sure, hope the price of diesel goes down by next summer! :thumbsup:
Oh it would be a project, but if the undercarriage isn't wore out and totally sized, this thing would be a good platform for a Case dozer.
Take the trencher off and scrap it. Remove the top and mount a Case chassis up top. Hook up the hydraulics and you have your very own yard tearing Mini- dozer. :D

Or drop it off by the Mad Tractor Builder and let it take up space in his shop. :rofl:
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

https://struckcorp.com/products/magnatrac-mh8500/

Too many possibilities. Lol get that tractor going. Meanwhile we can all imagine a cool little machine to have around the house.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Timj wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 am
Eugen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:27 am

Oh it would be a project, but if the undercarriage isn't wore out and totally sized, this thing would be a good platform for a Case dozer.
Take the trencher off and scrap it. Remove the top and mount a Case chassis up top. Hook up the hydraulics and you have your very own yard tearing Mini- dozer. :D

Or drop it off by the Mad Tractor Builder and let it take up space in his shop. :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I appreciate the though and it would be a fun build but I already have too many non Case projects to finish so I can get back to the Case at hand .
Last edited by DavidBarkey on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder