Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Eugen Canada

Re: Case/Davis trencher backhoe

Post by Eugen »

Thanks guys!

@DavidBarkey the boys love digging holes, but covering them not so much. :giggle:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Got a question for you guys because I can't find much info or the operator manual for this. The undercarriage, the tracks and the wheels on which they crawl are all steel. Is there anything I can do to refresh the whole mechanism? @Timj said in the beginning to soak the tracks in diesel, we're you serious about that? Any other advice? :)
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

Eugen wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:21 am Got a question for you guys because I can't find much info or the operator manual for this. The undercarriage, the tracks and the wheels on which they crawl are all steel. Is there anything I can do to refresh the whole mechanism? @Timj said in the beginning to soak the tracks in diesel, we're you serious about that? Any other advice? :)
If the tracks are like big machines - when old machines would sit for a long time and track links would seize up - old guys would talk about spraying / soaking the pins and bushings holding the links together with a used oil/diesel mixture to help lubricate them and cut down on the squealing, As for the rollers, they would have a small cavity filled during assembly with gear oil to lubricate the bushings/axle shaft... That's on the big boys though - really have no idea what would be hiding under your Davis trencher... :hm:
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thanks Gerry! According to the parts diagram the rollers have bearings. And you're right, the tracks are squealing when moving :D
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

For a machine the size of your trencher I'm sure a couple of spray cans of your favourite penetrating oil would work too - used oil/diesel combo is just cheap and in plentiful supply around most heavy shops :)
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

RoamingGnome wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:22 pm For a machine the size of your trencher I'm sure a couple of spray cans of your favourite penetrating oil would work too - used oil/diesel combo is just cheap and in plentiful supply around most heavy shops :)
I got oil and diesel I can mix and spray the tracks. :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

Soaking them up was a little help if they were rusted solid to get them moving again. Otherwise not much you can do, steel tracks running steel on steel in the dirt are noisy.
That'll make it easier to here the boys heading out of the yard. :D
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace:
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen i don’t know if any of this will be helpful, or if you’ve already seen these, forgive me if it’s not. I was poking around this evening and found a few links that may help with information. Some of it may be a bit convoluted but I figured any info is good info. Hope some of this helps.

Price Brothers Equipment has Trencher Parts 877-957-9577
IMG_3652.png

Here’s an eBay CA link to a parts catalog
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/J-I-Case-Tf-300 ... 8966441db6

Here are some exploded views for a 700 trencher.
https://spare.avspart.com/catalog/case/ ... 53/769934/

https://spare.avspart.com/catalog/case/ ... 53/801107/

I think Gerry and Tim are right. I’d soak the tracks with what ever you have. And search hi and low for grease fittings! Track pins won’t have any but the rollers and idlers might.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Jeff, I appreciate! Looking through the links I found a fellow in the UK selling the operator manual. It's a little pricey so I'm thinking about it.

The reality is that a proper assessment of the whole crawler system would be done only with full disassembly and I must admit, I'm trying to avoid it. :124: I feel somewhat low on energy to tackle a big task like this right now.

Will mix diesel with oil and apply it to the tracks, after another pressure wash to get the soil and sand off. But right now the D100 backhoe is still waiting to be finished. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Today after work I brought the crawler near the backhoe and positioned it for attachment. Spent quite some time with little things that needed to be done: made 5/8 pins for the lower connecting points, sorted out the fittings and hoses to connect the hydraulics of the backhoe to the crawler, sorted out all the big pins fasteners. Turned it on and sure enough I had three fittings not tight enough that started to leak but stopped after a little wrench persuasion. By moving the backhoe frame up and down and tilting it I was able to pin it to the crawler in all four connecting points. All nice and dandy but there is a minor setback. The dipper spool on the valve leaks pretty badly. :headbash: Now I'm obviously kicking myself for not opening it up when it was out and dry. Lesson learned. Now all the steel lines must be undone, all the hoses off, deal with the oil again :109:, and take the whole valve apart. This should teach me to try avoiding stuff like this. :roll: :blush: :124:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E