1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Eugen Canada

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by Eugen »

On the subject of sludge. My Massey Harris 33 came to me with a lot of sludge, so much that the oil pressure was low due to the screen on the pick up of the oil pump being full of sludge. Took the valve cover off, quite a bit of sludge there too. Cleaned up as much as I could with a screwdriver. Did not take the oil pan off. Put new oil and a can of seafoam in the oil after the engine warmed up. Then ran it for a few minutes and replaced the oil. Oil pressure issue fixed. But the real sludge fix is to pull the pan off and properly clean it, for sure.

Hope you get over that cold soon! Me and the boys went through it about two weeks ago.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Having thought about it a little more, I guess I wanted to mention the use of seafoam but was quite tired. I'm not actually recommending you do that, though I think it's quite safe. Since you're not in a hurry, if it's not too difficult to take the oil pan off, that would make most sense to do. For sure I'd clean the rocker area well by scraping and then wiping excess sludge and stuff like that. I wonder what shape the valves and seats are in too, but that would be a lot more work. Seafoam is also used through the intake for cleaning some of the carbon. I've done that procedure to several of my cars over the years. I think it does help somewhat, and some people swear by it. Again, nothing compares to head disassembly and scraping the carbon off. :bee:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:36 am Having thought about it a little more, I guess I wanted to mention the use of seafoam but was quite tired. I'm not actually recommending you do that, though I think it's quite safe. Since you're not in a hurry, if it's not too difficult to take the oil pan off, that would make most sense to do. For sure I'd clean the rocker area well by scraping and then wiping excess sludge and stuff like that. I wonder what shape the valves and seats are in too, but that would be a lot more work. Seafoam is also used through the intake for cleaning some of the carbon. I've done that procedure to several of my cars over the years. I think it does help somewhat, and some people swear by it. Again, nothing compares to head disassembly and scraping the carbon off. :bee:
I’m a big fan of Seafoam too. I’ve also done the Seafoam through the intake procedure on my vehicles, and I do think it helps. At this point I have no plan to remove the heads. You’re right that a good cleaning would help, but I’m thinking getting some run time on the engine may be fine too, and I really don’t want to get into that much work if I don’t need to. I believe the milky stuff on the rockers is probably condensation from sitting, but also from the engine running for short periods of time and being up to operating temperature.

The rockers really don’t have that much sludge on them. I’ve definitely seen a-lot worse! So like you said a clean up is in order. And the plan is to drop the oil pan. Any sludge or shiny bits, or god help me chucks of metal will be in the bottom!
I have to try and look up the procedure though. I still have to look, but if this is an external oil pump then it’s not as simple as just pulling the pan bolts. I think you have to get at least the pump cover off to remove the pick up tube as it runs into the side or the oil pan! Interesting design. I’ll put up pictures when I get that far.

So I need to do a little more reading and looking then I guess I’ll start pulling it apart! :hm: :writing: :109: :rofl:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ve heard of people draining the oil. Then fill with kerosene. Start engine and let run for a minute or so. Then drain. Refill with oil. Do when engine is warm. More thought for you Jeff.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

propane1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:37 am I’ve heard of people draining the oil. Then fill with kerosene. Start engine and let run for a minute or so. Then drain. Refill with oil. Do when engine is warm. More thought for you Jeff.

Noel
Well, that's where I would draw the line, I see no need for this. Seafoam in oil is supposed to do the same thing and a lot less potential for damage. But that's just me. :wave3:

Diesel or kerosene in the gears box of a tractor, that's different. And I've done it to the MH33 after cleaning the sludge at the bottom. Also done it on the 644 gear box. :5:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Well, doesn’t matter what you use to put in the oil to clean the sludge. Once it starts cleaning the sludge, it will be in the oil, which then will be getting to the bearings , pistons, rings and other moving parts. And just hopefully the filter can get most of the dirt and grit before it does any damage. I would be making sure to put a new filter on each oil change and do the first few oil changes quite often.
Transmission oil would be a good cleaner too.
Any way , it’s up to Jeff as to what he wants to do. I’m just rambling on about ideas and things I’ve heard over the years.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

@propane1 maybe I didn't understand you well, but I thought you said drain the oil, and fill with kerosene. Adding a can of seafoam to the oil is just making it thinner, but still you have lubrication. Completely replacing the oil with kerosene means you got zero lubrication in that engine. To each his own, for sure, but I would not run an engine even for a few minutes this way. :cheers:

Here are instructions from Seafoam themselves on how to do it. Basically they say add 1 ounce for every quart of oil and replace the oil 100 to 300 miles after that.

https://seafoamworks.com/knowledge-base ... kcase-oil/
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Eugen wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:51 am @propane1 maybe I didn't understand you well, but I thought you said drain the oil, and fill with kerosene. Adding a can of seafoam to the oil is just making it thinner, but still you have lubrication. Completely replacing the oil with kerosene means you got zero lubrication in that engine. To each his own, for sure, but I would not run an engine even for a few minutes this way. :cheers:

Here are instructions from Seafoam themselves on how to do it. Basically they say add 1 ounce for every quart of oil and replace the oil 100 to 300 miles after that.

https://seafoamworks.com/knowledge-base ... kcase-oil/
Yes Eugen. Drain the oil, then fill with kerosene. Run for a minute give or take a few seconds. Then drain the kerosene. Fill with oil. Replace filter. I watched a fella do this each oil and filter change on his car. 1965 Ford Galaxy two door. Hard top I believe.

Noel
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Thank you Noel. With respect I'd like to say that while I'm not that careful with my engines as to think that this procedure would badly damage an engine, I would not do it because I don't really see the point. I mean, with today's detergent oils I really doubt a kerosene wash every oil change does anything good. I also doubt and old engine full of sludge would benefit from just one minute of running with kerosene. Again, I respect everyone's decision to do whatever they want to their engine, as I do some stuff that other people would frown upon. :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Ya well everybody has there own opinions. And that’s fine.
I was just rambling.

Noel