1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by RoamingGnome »

@JSinMO - Great progress, and awesome photos - I have problems remembering to do before and after photos... It's great to see a record of your work.

When I don't have a helper to bleed the brakes I would fill the system with brake fluid, pump the pedal with the bleed screw open until I saw fluid come out, then close off the bleed screws, pump the brakes until they got hard, jam a stick between the driver's seat cushion and the brake pedal to hold the pedal down once it had pressure on it - then with the pedal locked in place go to the corner and crack the bleed screw to let the fluid/air out - repeat the process until the air was out and the brakes were firm or I got frustrated enough to get some help... (don't have young helpers around and :wife: gets a little grumpy about getting dirty / greasy sometimes :rofl: )
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@RoamingGnome Thanks, I appreciate that!
I’m grateful son can help me for sure. I figured I needed a helper since the system was dry except for the master cylinder, I bench bled that. But it actually went pretty quick.
The problem is I let him go play then got in the truck to feel the pedal and it seems a bit soft to me so I’m thinking I’ll rebleed after I get it running again.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Probably 30 years ago i picked up a pressurized brake bleeder with a variety of master cylinder adapters, at an auction for cheap. Yah it is one of those tools I don't use often, but is a great tool to have. It looks something like this.

image.png
:cheers:
Gordy

Post by JSinMO »

Got to spend some time in the shop this afternoon and made a little more progress on Herbie.

It seemed to me that the brake pedal was a little low. I figured I had the rear brake shoes about right, but thought I should double check the fronts. I adjusted them up I little more, and now I have a nice firm pedal! Last thing to do is a test drive when I have the rest of the work done and make sure they function. I’m not anticipating issues, but you never know.

I have the carburetor put back together and the intake cleaned up, so I mounted it back on the engine. The P.O. Had the choke on the carburetor bypassed and was using a manual choke cable on the dashboard. I have no problem with that so I hooked it back up that way.
0D361359-AFF5-4433-8FEB-1EBB8B0F948A.jpeg
I was going to fill the bowl by running gas down the vent tube, but I couldn’t find a bottle that would work without spilling gas all over so I just cranked the engine over to fill it up. I guess the battery was down because that little bit of cranking drained it.
It’s been quite some time since I had a vehicle with the battery mounted under the floor board!
BA8357C0-2EDC-45B3-98B9-B81E37484B5A.jpeg
With the battery charged up I hopped into the driver’s seat, set the choke, pumped the gas 4 times, and hit the key. The truck fired up immediately! :69:

Now the accelerate pump work great, no hesitation. If you remember the adjustment chart that came with the carburetor kit didn’t list the set up for this engine, so I had to guess. I think I got really lucky, it seems all I need to do is idle it up just a little bit!

I thought I’d try to hook up the auxiliary throttle cable. I cleaned up the bolt hole in the intake and found a piece of steel in my scrap pile to make a bracket out of.

I know this is cobbled together, but I think it will work.
22C76A59-F19D-48D6-ADA4-3E06DFF9E862.jpeg
I just need to come up with a connection for the cable and wire I have vice gripped together in the picture.
I have it in my mind what I want to do, but I can’t think of what the hardware is called to able to look it up.
Im thinking of a brass barrel with a set screw in the side of it. Ive used them in the past. Do any of you know what I’m talking about? Or do you have another idea?

There’s todays old truck ramble, thank you for the help!
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Wish I could help but I don't really understand what needs to be done. To lock two wires together? Crimping maybe not strong enough. A copper pipe over it and then nut and bolt?
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:35 am Wish I could help but I don't really understand what needs to be done. To lock two wires together? Crimping maybe not strong enough. A copper pipe over it and then nut and bolt?
Sorry, I know I’m not explaining this well. Yes essentially I’m trying to hook two solid wires together. I can picture it in my head, but I’m having trouble putting into words! I’ll try to take a better picture, that may help.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO

Move your cable back some and go with a ball chain like what is on the crapper flapper .
image.png
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
RoamingGnome Canada

Post by RoamingGnome »

@JSinMO If you have the space and are trying to connect two cables you might be able to use a SetScrew style Marr wire connector - to tie them together... electrical dept at your local hardware store...
SetScrew Mar.jpg
SetScrew Mar.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 5376 times
Wow - How did this picture end up being so big?
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 pm Got to spend some time in the shop this afternoon and made a little more progress on Herbie.

It seemed to me that the brake pedal was a little low. I figured I had the rear brake shoes about right, but thought I should double check the fronts. I adjusted them up I little more, and now I have a nice firm pedal! Last thing to do is a test drive when I have the rest of the work done and make sure they function. I’m not anticipating issues, but you never know.

I have the carburetor put back together and the intake cleaned up, so I mounted it back on the engine. The P.O. Had the choke on the carburetor bypassed and was using a manual choke cable on the dashboard. I have no problem with that so I hooked it back up that way.
0D361359-AFF5-4433-8FEB-1EBB8B0F948A.jpeg

I was going to fill the bowl by running gas down the vent tube, but I couldn’t find a bottle that would work without spilling gas all over so I just cranked the engine over to fill it up. I guess the battery was down because that little bit of cranking drained it.
It’s been quite some time since I had a vehicle with the battery mounted under the floor board!

BA8357C0-2EDC-45B3-98B9-B81E37484B5A.jpeg

With the battery charged up I hopped into the driver’s seat, set the choke, pumped the gas 4 times, and hit the key. The truck fired up immediately! :69:

Now the accelerate pump work great, no hesitation. If you remember the adjustment chart that came with the carburetor kit didn’t list the set up for this engine, so I had to guess. I think I got really lucky, it seems all I need to do is idle it up just a little bit!

I thought I’d try to hook up the auxiliary throttle cable. I cleaned up the bolt hole in the intake and found a piece of steel in my scrap pile to make a bracket out of.

I know this is cobbled together, but I think it will work.
22C76A59-F19D-48D6-ADA4-3E06DFF9E862.jpeg

I just need to come up with a connection for the cable and wire I have vice gripped together in the picture.
I have it in my mind what I want to do, but I can’t think of what the hardware is called to able to look it up.
Im thinking of a brass barrel with a set screw in the side of it. Ive used them in the past. Do any of you know what I’m talking about? Or do you have another idea?

There’s todays old truck ramble, thank you for the help!

With what you have rigged up with the vise grips, does this allow normal movement of the gas pedal, except when the cable is locked back of coarse? If not go with the chain connection.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by JSinMO »

Thanks guys! With the way I have it rigged the normal throttle has full movement, and this won’t affect it unless I engage it. I found these shaft collars and I’m going to give them a shot. Kind of similar to what Gerry suggested. If it won’t hold I’ll probably have to reconfigure my cable and try the chain like Dave and Gordy suggested.
I’ll try to get a better picture next time I’m in the shop.
5B9DC201-9087-42B9-B641-332E6F11A6E3.jpeg