1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
JSinMO United States of America

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:07 pm The welding on that patch is like I've done it! :109:

If you can pressurize the tank how about spraying it with soapy water?

Another thing to check is the line going from it.
Good idea. I’ll have to wait for an assistant to keep pressure on while I spray around the tank.

I didn’t look at the line very close. I need to do that. It’s a steel line that comes out of the top of the tank.
It looks like it’s leaking on the passenger side at least thats my best guess right now. That’s where the truck floor is wet. The line go through the floor on the drivers side and it’s not wet and no drips on the shop floor.

The other thing that I find curious is when I got the truck I put 5 gallons in it and no leaks. I just put 10 gallons in and now it leaks. Could be coincidence, I don’t know.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That sounds more like the leak is above the 5 gallons line. No coincidence. If it's already empty you could also fill 10 gallons of water and chase the leak. I would not ignore it, but if you decide to leave it as is check the floor before flicking the light switch. But you'll find the leak for sure.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:02 pm That sounds more like the leak is above the 5 gallons line. No coincidence. If it's already empty you could also fill 10 gallons of water and chase the leak. I would not ignore it, but if you decide to leave it as is check the floor before flicking the light switch. But you'll find the leak for sure.
I thought that too but I see no evidence of a leak. More investigation is needed for sure.

That last part about checking the floor before flicking the light switch struck me funny! I needed that! And you’re right that’s a sure way to find the leak!
I won’t be ignoring it, this is a must fix. There may be a corner I’m willing to cut but it’s not with this. Keep in mind the tank mounts inside the cab with me. No leaks allowed!
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

I have used "Red-Kote" tank liner with good luck for rusty and seepy gas tanks.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/re ... m1/redkote

There is a Q&A section. They say 1 quart is good for up to a 12 gallon tank.

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by JSinMO »

Gordy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:34 pm I have used "Red-Kote" tank liner with good luck for rusty and seepy gas tanks.

Gordy
I’ve never used a liner before. I’ve heard good and bad. Do you ever notice it flaking off or plugging the filter?
Looks like it’s certainly an option.
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

JSinMO wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:10 pm
Gordy wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:34 pm I have used "Red-Kote" tank liner with good luck for rusty and seepy gas tanks.

Gordy
I’ve never used a liner before. I’ve heard good and bad. Do you ever notice it flaking off or plugging the filter?
Looks like it’s certainly an option.
I heard some horror stories to about some brands too, but a trusted mechanics told me to go with the Red-Kote. The tank I did for a tiller 7-8 years ago still looks good, the others I can't see into but no filter issues yet. Following the cleaning instructions properly will affect the results too. The tiller tank was full of rust and crud, so I put dawn dish soap, water and a bunch of nuts and bolts in the tank over all about 1/2 full and shook the living crap out of it several times. Then I flushed it out with the garden hose, the several more times with acetone. Then blew it out the best I could with compressed air, and placed it on the dash of the truck facing the sun for several days just to make sure it was good and dry.

Another option, my Dad took the tank from a 63 Ford Falcon to a radiator repair shop and had them cook and line it. The Falcon had fuel delivery issues, the tank actually had a drain plug :O When I drained it through a rag I got about 4 cups of rust & crud without shaking or rinsing the tank.

Gordy
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO . Are you able to see inside the tank at all ? What is the condition of the inside ? Has it been coated before ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:07 am @JSinMO . Are you able to see inside the tank at all ? What is the condition of the inside ? Has it been coated before ?
I can’t see inside very well. This is one of the times I wish I had one of those cameras to look inside engines. From what I can see it just look rusty. It doesn’t appear to have been coated to me.

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:07 am @JSinMO . Are you able to see inside the tank at all ? What is the condition of the inside ? Has it been coated before ?
Scratch my last post. My eyes must be going. I got some better light on it today and it sure looks red to me. I would guess it has been coated?
IMG_3550.jpeg
I decided to hang the tank off the side of the truck and put 10 gallons of water in it.
IMG_3551.jpeg
@Eugen was on the money! I see the leak right here.
IMG_3553.jpeg
I’m gonna fill it up and let it sit and see if I have any more spring up.if not I’m thinking my course of action will be Seals All on the patched area and then maybe some JB Weld over that.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

I would clean up the area with the wire brush really well, then the glue will stick well.
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush: