1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
RoamingGnome Canada

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by RoamingGnome »

It's an interesting question - so I did some googling... I'd hate to add any more confusion to the mix - but does this video help any? In a generic sort of way?
holley.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm13JA3XYaI

I've been a little spoiled in 40+ yrs of owning vehicles they have almost all exclusively been small, Japanese and used throttle cables to connect pedal to linkage (I've almost completely managed to block out memories of the 302 in my Dad's '72 Ford Econoline :pullhair: )

When I used to go off-roading with my Suzuki Samurai buddies years ago a few of them improvised a cruise control so they could "idle up" when using a winch or crawling along a forest trail. They used a shift lever from a 10 speed bicycle - attached the cable end to the throttle linkage at the carb and put the lever on the tranny shifter so it was handy, but out of the way...
'68 Case 195, '84 Case 446, '88 Ingersoll 222 - and 1965 Case 530ck (fullsize backhoe)
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

@RoamingGnome The video is kinda, sort of, in the ballpark. What your friends were doing on their 4X4 is exactly what this is. It’s just a cable attached to the throttle at the carburetor that you can pull and lock inside the cab to raise the engine RPM. In my case this truck has a power take off on the side of the transmission which controls the hydraulic pump for the bed hoist. So the engine RPM directly controls the speed at which the truck bed raises. You can control the hoist speed with the foot throttle so I assume the extra throttle cable is there so you can set the RPM with out over revving the engine. Some one with more experience would have to chime in for the other uses of this cable.
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 pm My brain hurts just trying to follow the discussion :rofl: :worship: you guys keep going, it's like I'm watching star trek, don't understand it but I like it! :blush:

You have no idea how happy I am to know I am not alone! There have been a few threads on this site where I have tried to follow along only to find myself off in the weeds somewhere! :hm: :106: :124: :rofl:

I’ll try to remember to take pictures whenever it’s done, it will make sense. :thumbsup:
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

The propane company I worked for in the late seventy’s had a truck that had a power lift gate. It was hydraulic, was operated by an pto from the transmission. 1973 Ford F-350 , you would put the transmission in neutral, push the clutch in, turn a lever to engage the transmission pto, let the clutch back out and you could operate the lift tail gate. I don’t remember if it had a throttle to rasie the engine rpm of not.

Just a useless information ramble, but thought you’d like the read.

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

@JSinMO If you can find a old timer mechanic that had a tow truck . They will know what you need . to hook that up .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Gordy United States of America

Post by Gordy »

Eugen wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 pm My brain hurts just trying to follow the discussion :rofl: :worship: you guys keep going, it's like I'm watching star trek, don't understand it but I like it! :blush:
Think of it as a poor man's /primitive cruise control ;)

:cheers:
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:28 pm @RoamingGnome The video is kinda, sort of, in the ballpark. What your friends were doing on their 4X4 is exactly what this is. It’s just a cable attached to the throttle at the carburetor that you can pull and lock inside the cab to raise the engine RPM. In my case this truck has a power take off on the side of the transmission which controls the hydraulic pump for the bed hoist. So the engine RPM directly controls the speed at which the truck bed raises. You can control the hoist speed with the foot throttle so I assume the extra throttle cable is there so you can set the RPM with out over revving the engine. Some one with more experience would have to chime in for the other uses of this cable.
I did find a couple pictures of the throttle cable set up, but on a f700 and a different / holley carb :headbash: I'll look some more :letmesee: It may be helpful to get a better side shot picture of your carb linkage.

I forgot about your float before :oops: Put it in a ziplock bag, then in the freezer for a few hours. The air in it will condense and hopefully draw in more air through the hole. Then submerge it in near boiling water, this will cause the air to expand and come out the hole, watch for bubbles.

If the hole is really tiny it may be necessary to drill it out to 1/64" to drain the gas out.

Soldering a float can be a PITA you have to be quick, too much heat and the air expands quickly pushing the solder out and it also cools quick and sucks the solder in before it solidifies.

Gordy
Last edited by Gordy on Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Gordy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:18 am
Think of it as a poor man's /primitive cruise control ;)

Gordy
Exactly Gordy. I would think someone somewhere did use it for that. :giggle: :giggle:

Noel :D
Last edited by propane1 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I’ve put a little tab of Seal All Glue on floats before too fix holes. Worked good.

Noel

Post by Gordy »

propane1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:58 am I’ve put a little tab of Seal All Glue on floats before too fix holes. Worked good.

Noel
Knowing how aggressive gas is I never got the courage to try a glue ;)

Gordy