1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
propane1 Canada

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by propane1 »

Any type of tractor rims fit maybe. Just guessing.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Good thought Noel. Hadn’t thought of that. At the very least it’s another avenue to explore. Thank you.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

https://www.uswheel.com/wheels/6664/truck/
Have you tried companies like this ?
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder

Post by JSinMO »

DavidBarkey wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:00 am https://www.uswheel.com/wheels/6664/truck/
Have you tried companies like this ?
The ones I’ve checked so far either don’t make the size I need or it’s cost prohibitive for me. There are still options. I haven’t hit the salvage yards yet and there are some heavy truck repair shops in my area I need to check with. I still have the option of making what I need also. It’s just a little disheartening to keep hearing “sorry those are obsolete”. But I guess we’re all kind of into taking things that are deemed obsolete and keeping them alive.
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

If you run into any additional oddball brake issues, I used White Post Restorations to rebuild/sleeve my obscure wheel cylinders on the '48 Diamond T. All done in brass, so I don't have to worry about that again... I recall they also did the hydro boost systems, but I didn't need that at the time. (probably should have done it just because)

I'm still very slowly trying to get the '65 F750 to the point I could get it on the road. Air brakes, so different problems... Tires, however, are the same kinda headache. No problem finding rubber, but the cost is crazy. The wheels are lock ring, so not the same issue as widow makers. Hoping I can just come up with some 22.5's and be done with it... At least I have Dayton's, so it should be relatively simple once I get some cash set aside for it.
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Jeff, I have a little story that might help, or not. When I got the Massey Harris 33 it was in pretty rough shape. Some things I found after long searches, at a more reasonable price. But the exhaust manifold was not to be found anywhere, at any price. This model, the 33, was nowhere as popular as the 44 or the 55, for which there are plenty of aftermarket parts, including the exhaust manifold. I had joined the Facebook group named Massey Harris Tractor Collectors previously, and noticed that people are helping each other there. So I posted that I'm looking for a manifold. There were many replies like "go to xyz.com" but I have already exhausted all new and old parts I could find on the net. But two people replied that they may have an old one in the barn, they'll look. The third person that said he has one was in Quebec, and it was a refreshed manifold, in amazing shape. Not only, but the price was extremely decent, and low shipping.

My point is that you may find someone that has some parts for your machine, in a similar group on facebook. I do not like facebook, but the reality is that it is another place where people get together and you never know.

As you probably realized already, what you're doing requires patience. I was able to find a manifold many months after I first started. Hope you can find what you need faster! :cheers:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Toolslinger United States of America

Post by Toolslinger »

Eugen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 am As you probably realized already, what you're doing requires patience. I was able to find a manifold many months after I first started. Hope you can find what you need faster! :cheers:
I'll second the patience...

Before I went to White Post, I spent a year or more trying to track down new wheel cylinders... Found that International also used those cylinders on a few models pre WWII. That lead me to finding those same wheel cylinders were used on International made half tracks. All those made their way to Israel eventually apparently... So after a lot of digging, I found the PN assigned to the half track, and then found a NOS packed, and preserved back in the 40's for the US, Israeli military surplus wheel cylinder on Ebay.

That let me kick the brake project down the road a bit, but then the other side went, and I didn't have as much luck with the other side...

Post by JSinMO »

@Eugen. I kinda tuned this into a “I can’t see the forest because of all these tress” situation! I know I’m in the beginning stages of this project but sometimes patients is a virtue that flat out escapes me. I have had long duration projects as I’m sure most of us have. I think my frustration on this one comes from seeing how close this truck could be to running down the road again but yet so far! So all that to say yes your story helps. I needed some perspective, and maybe a reminder that all projects don’t just fall into place! Thank you, I appreciate it.

Post by JSinMO »

Toolslinger wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:53 am If you run into any additional oddball brake issues, I used White Post Restorations to rebuild/sleeve my obscure wheel cylinders on the '48 Diamond T. All done in brass, so I don't have to worry about that again... I recall they also did the hydro boost systems, but I didn't need that at the time. (probably should have done it just because)

I'm still very slowly trying to get the '65 F750 to the point I could get it on the road. Air brakes, so different problems... Tires, however, are the same kinda headache. No problem finding rubber, but the cost is crazy. The wheels are lock ring, so not the same issue as widow makers. Hoping I can just come up with some 22.5's and be done with it... At least I have Dayton's, so it should be relatively simple once I get some cash set aside for it.

Thank you, I’ll keep White Post in mind. I talked to a fellow yesterday about rims and brake parts. I believe he’s in Connecticut. So I think at this point I have at least sourced everything thing I should need for the brake system. He specializes in the old Fords so if you still need thing for your F750 maybe he could help. Here’s a link to his website, I called his shop number. http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

I would also like to run the 22.5 tires. I can’t commit to that until I’m sure of what rims I’m going with, but yes the price is a bit painful! I don’t plan on putting a ton of miles on the truck so I’m hoping the price is worth it to have tires that will last quite awhile.
Timj United States of America

Post by Timj »

I think I would plug away at what you can come up with for wheels first. If you can get into a common sized wheel, then you may be able to find good used take offs for tires.
I've been able to get some good take offs from a couple of tire outfits. My drill rigs don't get many miles on them, tires fail from age with full tread so, good take offs has been good for me.
:446cart: let's go, it's finally time to blow. :peace: