1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
User avatar
Eugen Canada
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Location: Port Mcnicoll, Ontario
Has thanked: 11997 times
Been thanked: 16271 times
Contact:

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by Eugen »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:37 pm Thanks guys! With the way I have it rigged the normal throttle has full movement, and this won’t affect it unless I engage it. I found these shaft collars and I’m going to give them a shot. Kind of similar to what Gerry suggested. If it won’t hold I’ll probably have to reconfigure my cable and try the chain like Dave and Gordy suggested.
I’ll try to get a better picture next time I’m in the shop.
5B9DC201-9087-42B9-B641-332E6F11A6E3.jpeg
Yes, something like this I was talking about, but there are all kind of styles too. I have used something like this, very strong:
Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 22.45.46.png
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 12021 times
Been thanked: 6721 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

Eugen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:46 pm
JSinMO wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:37 pm Thanks guys! With the way I have it rigged the normal throttle has full movement, and this won’t affect it unless I engage it. I found these shaft collars and I’m going to give them a shot. Kind of similar to what Gerry suggested. If it won’t hold I’ll probably have to reconfigure my cable and try the chain like Dave and Gordy suggested.
I’ll try to get a better picture next time I’m in the shop.
5B9DC201-9087-42B9-B641-332E6F11A6E3.jpeg
Yes, something like this I was talking about, but there are all kind of styles too. I have used something like this, very strong:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 22.45.46.png
Ahhh. I see what you saying now. I don’t know if I have the room to try that, but maybe. These collars i found are 1/8 inch I.D. so I’m hoping they’ll slip in where I need them. I just hope they hold!
JSinMO United States of America
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 12021 times
Been thanked: 6721 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

I don’t know if you guys feel this way, but i always get excited when parts come in! Almost like Christmas!
B8ED5E2E-0BE5-4F8E-9683-EEE7CC779E3D.jpeg
I didn’t really want to open the engine up till I had gaskets in hand and they came in today. I think I’m going to make templates of these so I can make my own in the future. So I guess the next step will be checking it out to hopefully give it a better chance of running for a good while yet. Fingers crossed we don’t find anything crazy! :42:
User avatar
Eugen Canada
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Location: Port Mcnicoll, Ontario
Has thanked: 11997 times
Been thanked: 16271 times
Contact:

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by Eugen »

I feel like that too! Looking forward to the Grand opening! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
JSinMO United States of America
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 12021 times
Been thanked: 6721 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

I’ve been fighting a nasty cold this week but I still wanted to make some progress so I cranked up the heater and let the shop warm up and worked for a little while today.

I wanted to finish the auxiliary throttle set up first and try it out.
I tried to take pictures to show what I did. In this first one the rod to the left is the normal throttle linkage to the foot control. The cable to the right is the auxiliary cable to the dashboard.
1A2FCDFA-EE0F-46E8-8CAA-BC2A6A4D3262.jpeg
Here is the rod and shaft collar I’m attempting to attach to the cable.
36DBB289-7492-4612-932A-DB71EC42EC09.jpeg
A little fussing around and I got it into position.
770D025B-5538-4B73-A862-EC11A17EA685.jpeg
It worked but it slides up the throttle linkage as you actuate it. I added a clip to keep my rod in place.
This is about as crude as you can get, and I’m not particularly fond of the looks of it, but it does work just fine with no binding of the throttle so I’m calling it a win!
689DD173-EC8B-4B88-BC76-C07444094BAA.jpeg
I started the engine to test the cable and I was very happy to see it cranked up as soon as I bumped the starter! It may not be true, but it makes me feel like I’m doing something right!

I took the radiator cap off and I see no flow. I did not run the engine long enough to get it warmed up so I’m figuring at point that I either have a thermostat that is closed as it would be when cold and hopefully it’s not stuck, or I have a complete blockade, which I doubt. I’ll have to go over the cooling system later.

Once I shut the engine down I thought it would be a good time to pull the valve covers and see what we have.
CD7F061E-49AC-4546-9B19-0E56B81B19D6.jpeg
98C95F69-90EA-4F17-889C-1D000A9455A1.jpeg
Thankfully it looks like I’m getting oil to the top of the engine! It also looks like I have moisture on the rockers, they look milky. I have no indication of water getting into the oil so I’m thinking this is condensation from sitting for 35 years.
I just did a quick check of the valve lash on the closed valves and the all seem to be at 19 thousandths, right where they should be.
So all in all I’m not seeing anything yet thats really worrying me.
So do I just clean it up a bit and button it back up?
I was considering replacing the valve seals but I don’t know. It would be a fair amount of work and I’m not sure how necessary it really is. I pulled numbers one spark plug to take a look. This is a fresh plug and the engine has only been run for a few minutes with these plugs in.
CD3AC801-89E7-440D-B1DB-FD7E89F78BB8.jpeg
3F696178-8405-4A52-9B86-0BAD1695BA36.jpeg
Doesn’t look bad to me. I think I’ll roll this around in my head for a bit and try and decide if I do it now or run the truck for awhile and see what happens.
As always any thoughts or advice you guys have is greatly appreciated and welcome.

That’s it for today, I think I’ll go in the house and take a nap!
User avatar
propane1 Canada
Posts: 2436
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:32 am
Location: PEI, Canada
Has thanked: 5773 times
Been thanked: 8723 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by propane1 »

Me, I think I’d run it. But first change the oil. I’d put new oil and rislone in the oil to clean up the sludge. I’d run it a little bit and do the same oil change again.
Just my thought.

Noel
JSinMO United States of America
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 12021 times
Been thanked: 6721 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:53 am Me, I think I’d run it. But first change the oil. I’d put new oil and rislone in the oil to clean up the sludge. I’d run it a little bit and do the same oil change again.
Just my thought.

Noel
I’m kinda leaning that way too Noel. I feel like if it ain’t broke why fix it. This is the first Y-block I’ve messed with and I’ve done a lot of research on it. Apparently Ford had some issues getting oil to the top of the engine on these. The heads get oil through tubing from the center cam bearing so I’m a little hesitant to add a de slugging agent. I don’t want to block those passages. I think I need to do some more reading and see if I find any other issues I shouldn’t be concerned with.
Thanks!
User avatar
propane1 Canada
Posts: 2436
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:32 am
Location: PEI, Canada
Has thanked: 5773 times
Been thanked: 8723 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by propane1 »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:21 am
propane1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:53 am Me, I think I’d run it. But first change the oil. I’d put new oil and rislone in the oil to clean up the sludge. I’d run it a little bit and do the same oil change again.
Just my thought.

Noel
I’m kinda leaning that way too Noel. I feel like if it ain’t broke why fix it. This is the first Y-block I’ve messed with and I’ve done a lot of research on it. Apparently Ford had some issues getting oil to the top of the engine on these. The heads get oil through tubing from the center cam bearing so I’m a little hesitant to add a de slugging agent. I don’t want to block those passages. I think I need to do some more reading and see if I find any other issues I shouldn’t be concerned with.
Thanks!
Understood Jeff. So if you run detergent oil the same thing will happen. Just slower. That rislone stuff works good.
So you might have to run a non detergent oil. Does the engine have an oil filter. ?

Noel
JSinMO United States of America
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Location: Missouri
Has thanked: 12021 times
Been thanked: 6721 times

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by JSinMO »

propane1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:50 am
JSinMO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:21 am
propane1 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:53 am Me, I think I’d run it. But first change the oil. I’d put new oil and rislone in the oil to clean up the sludge. I’d run it a little bit and do the same oil change again.
Just my thought.

Noel
I’m kinda leaning that way too Noel. I feel like if it ain’t broke why fix it. This is the first Y-block I’ve messed with and I’ve done a lot of research on it. Apparently Ford had some issues getting oil to the top of the engine on these. The heads get oil through tubing from the center cam bearing so I’m a little hesitant to add a de slugging agent. I don’t want to block those passages. I think I need to do some more reading and see if I find any other issues I shouldn’t be concerned with.
Thanks!
Understood Jeff. So if you run detergent oil the same thing will happen. Just slower. That rislone stuff works good.
So you might have to run a non detergent oil. Does the engine have an oil filter. ?

Noel
Yes it has the old style paper filter in a canister. This engine really reminds me of old tractor engines. The oil filter, the valve lash adjustment, etc. This has a flat tappet cam, the lifters are solid with a large flat face. I’m planning to run Shell Rotella diesel oil because it has zinc in it. I’ve read the zinc will help protect the cam. So I’m thinking, (as of now at least) to run that oil and keep an eye on it. Now that you say that I don’t know if that is a detergent oil or not. I have to crawl under the truck and make sure but I think it also has an external oil pump. I’m thinking I’ll still drop the oil pan and clean it out and replace gaskets. I’m also running lead substitute in the gas for the valve seats. If this truck had been running all these years I probably wouldn’t worry about it, but the last time this thing was on the road non-detergent oil with zinc, and lead gas were still readily available!

I’m thinking I may just be pulling the valve cover now and then to make sure I have oil getting to the rockers. I’ll have to look up rislone and do some reading on it, and see if Rotella is detergent or not.
User avatar
Eugen Canada
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm
Location: Port Mcnicoll, Ontario
Has thanked: 11997 times
Been thanked: 16271 times
Contact:

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by Eugen »

Following with interest! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
Post Reply