1961 Ford F500 project.

Trucks, cars, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles. If you can drive it and it has an engine but it's not a tractor, it fits here.
Toolslinger United States of America

Re: 1961 Ford F500 project.

Post by Toolslinger »

Take offs are likely a good choice. The Diamond T is on the 3rd set of new tires since we owned it. Probably the 4th since it was new. Gotta be at least 20 years since we did them last time, and they're starting to crack. Tread is perfect. I think we've put 25, or 30k on those 3 sets of tires. Unfortunately, those are 10.00-20's as well. Those I would probably pony up the cash for the same tires rather than swapping rims, and for sure those would be the last set that I would need.

The Ford, I don't really care what it's running as long as they hold, and can drive. They could be bald, as I'll probably just run chains on the rears when I'm moving around the farm. (my folks bought brand new chains for the Diamond T when they got it, and they've never been used, so might as well get some use out of them) That rig isn't going down the road except to a truck show at some point, and that's only 20 miles. Nobody will be looking at the truck, it'll be there for the crane.

It would have been nice if my interior was as nice as yours though. Battle scars on the exterior are fine, but the interior has been attacked by mice, mud wasps, and water from holes in the roof from where they had beacon lights I guess. Tape and silicone has stopped the water for now. My driver door glass is shattered as well. Don't know why it's still holding, but I close that door VERY gently. Entire electrical system is a train wreck as well. Not looking forward to that project.
Jancoe United States of America

Post by Jancoe »

Don't waste your time looking for wheels. You are not going to find them. I spent countless hours searching. We purchased 22.5 wheel blanks. I think we did 7 wide on front and 8 wide on rear. Cut the centers of original wheels out and they will be snug right into place on the 22.5.. we went with 235/85r22.5 with the f6. Tack weld it and spin it on a front hub of the car to make sure it's straight and weld them up. We did ours and it drives great down through road. My phone crashed a few weeks ago so I've lost all my pictures of the process.the 22.5 are the way to go.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Post by Jancoe »

Here's a few photos I found when we started the process.ImageImageImage

JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Thanks @Jancoe I’m glad you had those pictures
puttputt Canada

Post by puttputt »

I'm in the same boat regarding my tow truck. It is badly in need of all 4 tires. Sure doesn't warrant new tires.

Post by Jancoe »

I should clarify a little as to what we did to the wheels. We essentially left a band of metal that's riveted to the center of the wheel. The bead seal lip was cut off up close to the center. The same for the back side. Cut off the inner half of 2 piece flange. One of those pics we ground off the rivets attempting to remove the outside ring on the wheel center. We left the rivets alone and created a "metal band" and plug welded those and is a spare now. This band that was left made the wheel center slip perfectly tight into the wheel blank. Set it to our desired offset and kept tacking it and spinning it on the front hub. A little jig wat made to hold true. It worked good. Find some used rv motorhome 22.5" tires. When I eventually get back over to their place I can get you finished photos. This 5 on 8" lug pattern is difficult to find.

Post by JSinMO »

Jancoe wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:38 pm I should clarify a little as to what we did to the wheels. We essentially left a band of metal that's riveted to the center of the wheel. The bead seal lip was cut off up close to the center. The same for the back side. Cut off the inner half of 2 piece flange. One of those pics we ground off the rivets attempting to remove the outside ring on the wheel center. We left the rivets alone and created a "metal band" and plug welded those and is a spare now. This band that was left made the wheel center slip perfectly tight into the wheel blank. Set it to our desired offset and kept tacking it and spinning it on the front hub. A little jig wat made to hold true. It worked good. Find some used rv motorhome 22.5" tires. When I eventually get back over to their place I can get you finished photos. This 5 on 8" lug pattern is difficult to find.

Thank you Jancoe. I’ve got feelers out all over the place to see if I can come up with rims. I have several places to call next week too. I don’t hold much hope, but you never know. I appreciate the knowledge on this. I’ll be referring to it if and when I make a set.

Post by JSinMO »

I’m slowly but surely collecting pieces and parts to get back on the road. A lot came in today. I thought we would do an unboxing and see what we got.
B44D6F94-577E-46F4-8801-146850709E30.jpeg
The brake booster finally came in. It’s rebuilt and ready to go back on the truck! The price was as quoted, $137.99.
ADC13738-DF42-44DF-9000-F7AACDE3454E.jpeg
New master cylinder arrived as well. So now I’m down to lines and hoses. Then I’ll make a decision on the wheel cylinders.

The 3/4 drive extension and Budd socket with 1 1/2 hex for the outer lug nuts and 13/16 square for the inner lug arrive from Amazon this after noon.
7CD59F40-EE1E-483C-9E02-CCE8AE144A66.jpeg
Along with something on the end in the picture that I’ve been wanting to add to shop for awhile. @Eugen mentioned awhile back that he picked up a plasma cutter I’ve really been thinking it would be quite handy to have one around here too. This one was on sale so I grabbed it! I need to wire in a 220 outlet but it will also run on house current so I tried it, looks like it will be a nice addition!

I also picked up spark plugs, plug wires, and filters. I ordered and carburetor kit that should be in next week.
So we’re getting close to being ready to dive in and get this project going!

Except for the wheels, I’ve said before that @Jancoe was right about not finding rims anywhere. But I’ve kept on trying anyway in the hopes I would stumble onto some. I’ve made contact with individuals and companies all over North America, but just as he said would happen I’ve come up empty. I still have a couple of calls out there I’m waiting to here back on but I’m not expecting good news. So I’ve also been developing my plan B. I’m going to try taking a different approach. I’ve spoke with mechanics, tire and wheel guys, and a custom car builder. They all agree that if I can find modern rims with the right setback they can be redrilled for my bolt pattern. The customer car guy gave me a lead for a retired machinist and old school hot rodder. I met with him today and asked his opinion. He says it will work fine and he’s willing to help me. So now the search will be expanded to look for modern rims to fit a 9R22.5 tire with the right setback that we can redrill to look like this.
4169C2A0-F71B-452F-AF95-BCB63992635A.jpeg

I’ll end this update / truck ramble here for now. It was quite an exciting day for me with all this arriving at once!

Too be continued….
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

That is great progress I would say. One step at a time you get that truck in great shape!

I hope you find that cutter decent. I still haven't tried it on 220V. Looking forward to you trying it! :thumbsup:
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:

Post by JSinMO »

I’ve had the lug nuts soaking in Deep Creep for three weeks. I though I’d try to see if they would come loose tonight. Nope, they are STUCK.
DE9547C2-E76B-4DDC-850F-BEE9C84E4390.jpeg
Now I get to see if Craftsman still warranties there tools. A 1/2 inch bar is all I had . I was hoping they would come loose with out getting rough with them. I may have to step up to a 3/4 breaker bar. I didn’t want to use heat because I was worried about taking the temper out of the lug nuts. It’s looking like I will have too.

Do you guys have any tricks to loosen stuck rusty nuts and bolts?