Rats

DavidBarkey Canada

Rats

Post by DavidBarkey »

We have a had a problem with rats ever since we got a couple of round bales from a local farm. Unfortunately one came with a family of rats in it . We tried every thing from snap traps to water pails to live traps with glue paper . All with some success . But even using all at he same time could not get rid of them . Try putting bricks down to make a hard floor but the :cuss: just tunnels under and made highways under it . Finally decided to gas the :cuss: things . Do you know how much CO a Onan can make when the choke is half on . LOTS :O . We penned the birds off away from coop/ run area for a few hours . prep everything an with some 1" flex exhaust tubing down each hole we gassed the buggers . WOT and half choke we ran the exhaust in to each hole for 10 min. then back filled the holes . Fill all the holes where they were coming and going yesterday . ZERO signs of them today . Hopefully thats the last of them . I am perfer to live and let live for the most part , but there are times you just got to do what you got to do .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
JSinMO United States of America

Re: Rats

Post by JSinMO »

That was a great idea using CO on them. I understand wanting to live and let live but you just can’t with pests. Rats multiply fast and can do a lot of damage. I hope you got them all.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:57 am That was a great idea using CO on them. I understand wanting to live and let live but you just can’t with pests. Rats multiply fast and can do a lot of damage. I hope you got them all.
So far today no signs of them . And we don't use straw anymore . Strickly wood shavings .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
Eugen Canada

Post by Eugen »

Very interesting to me, all this stuff about pests. Dave, I don't remember seeing a cat on your property, do you have one? Would a cat be able to deal with a rat problem? :hm:

Anyway, you probably got rid of them..
Case 224, 444, 644, 680E
Kubota B26 :blush:
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Eugen wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:12 pm Very interesting to me, all this stuff about pests. Dave, I don't remember seeing a cat on your property, do you have one? Would a cat be able to deal with a rat problem? :hm:

Anyway, you probably got rid of them..
No we do not . It is something we need to do but need to find a young Ferrell (barn ) cat that we can integrate with the birds. And yes so far no signs of any rats . But where there is feed they will come around .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

I think, but I’m no expert, that some types of dogs are good for rat control. ? :106:

Noel
JSinMO United States of America

Post by JSinMO »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am I think, but I’m no expert, that some types of dogs are good for rat control. ? :106:

Noel
Terriers we’re used to hunt varmints. I have no experience with them though. I don’t know how they would be around chickens.
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

JSinMO wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:02 am
Propane57 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 am I think, but I’m no expert, that some types of dogs are good for rat control. ? :106:

Noel
Terriers we’re used to hunt varmints. I have no experience with them though. I don’t know how they would be around chickens.
Ya looked in to them , Not recommended to live with poultry. Not harty enough to be outside year round .
Another option I am told is Geese . African and Chinese geese a very large and in charge . Will kill rats in a heart beat . But you must get them as goslings so they are raised with your flock and you . Where we got our first runner duck they had a "Guard Goose" pair . The owner could handle then with no problem but would not anyone else or anything neer the flock , But I have to get the pond lined and filled ect. before we can get them .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder
propane1 Canada

Post by propane1 »

Would a husky dog fit the bill. :106:

Noel
DavidBarkey Canada

Post by DavidBarkey »

Propane57 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:19 pm Would a husky dog fit the bill. :106:

Noel
I would have to say no. Jacobs mother has one , and in multible cases has got out and killed neighbours chickens . They keep replacing them , but the owner can't say much as there not allowed where they are at the moment .
Dave
Mad Tractor Builder