Page 1 of 1

A new predator in the area

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:52 am
by DavidBarkey
woke up at 5am as usual this morning to find the motion light just come on . So looked out side figuring it was just the bunnies again . Nope :O , it was a Marten darting around trying to get in the chicken run. Quickly got dressed and grabbed the pea shouter . Outside I went . Buy that time it had left the way it came . Back of into the bush out back . I think the motion light scared it off for now . Need to get relocate this thing . Anyone have experience with these ?

Re: A new predator in the area

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:04 am
by Jancoe
I've heard of some electronic sound devices used for martens. Do you have a electric fence now? Seems to be the best defense mechanism. I think an owl decoy would scare off martens but you'd have to place it where the chickens don't see it and get nervous of that?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:05 am
by Eugen
You might need to trap it Dave, I have no experience with such things. 🤷‍♂️

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:22 am
by DavidBarkey
Jancoe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:04 am I've heard of some electronic sound devices used for martens. Do you have a electric fence now? Seems to be the best defense mechanism. I think an owl decoy would scare off martens but you'd have to place it where the chickens don't see it and get nervous of that?

I have 2x4" welded fence 4' high tight to the ground and grounded . A hot line runs around the top . Those sound things , what do you call them ?

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:23 am
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:05 am You might need to trap it Dave, I have no experience with such things. 🤷‍♂️
I have a large trap , but don't know how to bait it for these things . Where it goes after that will depend on it .

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:33 am
by JSinMO
I was able to catch this guy with canned dog food.
D66629F2-55D3-4CB7-86F0-33C09AB61E6A.jpeg
I would think fish or maybe chicken livers would catch a Martin, but that’s just a guess.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:52 am
by Timj
I think I would start with a fish too. Dead minnow from the bait shop.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 am
by propane1
Some of those baits that were mentioned, will catch a cat too. I know.

I used peanut butter to catch skunks.

Noel

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:30 pm
by DavidBarkey
propane1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:51 am Some of those baits that were mentioned, will catch a cat too. I know.

I used peanut butter to catch skunks.

Noel
Have a heart trap , so I can just release it . Just don't want to get another skunk . Fortunately they should still be napping .

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:07 pm
by Eugen
They came to the chicken pen Dave. Hint, hint... what will attract it to the trap? :D

How about this, you make an entry to the pen, and on the inside of the pen it's the trap at that entrance. So the marten goes in thinking it goes to the hens, but enters the trap. Would that work?

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 pm
by DavidBarkey
Eugen wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:07 pm They came to the chicken pen Dave. Hint, hint... what will attract it to the trap? :D

How about this, you make an entry to the pen, and on the inside of the pen it's the trap at that entrance. So the marten goes in thinking it goes to the hens, but enters the trap. Would that work?
Raw chicken is a good idea . I don't have the confidence in anything I can setup to do what you suggest . If I screw up it has a midnight buffet set out for it .
The tracks come in and out of the wood from under my big storage trailer. So that is where I want to put the trap .

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:21 pm
by Jancoe
https://www.amazon.com/Maxfetched-Repel ... B0BBG8L8Y2
I don't know how well they actually work. A guy I work with has something like this for his garden and he said it's helped keep the animals out after.

I found these night eyes device interesting to keep unwanted animals out also.

https://thanoshome.com/product/solar-an ... cIEALw_wcB

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:23 pm
by DavidBarkey
As I am around all day every day . These night time red eye things might be a good thing to try around the perimeter of the fence .

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:24 pm
by Harry
I use to trap animals as a kid for their fur. The best kind were the connibear ones. They were heavy wire in a square and a coiled spring made of heavy wire on the sides. The animal puts its head into the trap to get the bait and it goes off around it’s body. Animal was always dead when I checked the trap. :peace: Harry